Buying Advice Position control hitch question?

/ Position control hitch question? #1  

smalltown

Gold Member
Tractor
2011, JD 2520
Not being knowledgeable about tractors could I ask if I am correct on what Position control hitch is?
My thinking is that it must allow me to set the height of the 3ph so when I lower it it will stop at the same height each time until I reset it?

Recently I was at the JD dealer, and was looking for brochures for the new 1000 series. No information was available to me on the JD confirurator, but being a dealer he downloaded the equipment summary for both the 1023E and the 1026R.

Going over the info at home the only differences I could see betwen the two models were:
The 1026R has a larger 25.2 HP verses the 23.5 HP on the 1023E
Cruise control
Tilt steering
Position control hitch
Two fender lights
Deluxe cushion control
Tool box
12v outlet
Floor mat

I like the idea of more HP, but it's only 1.7 HP
Tilt steering: I could live without.
Position control: Could be a real convenience (if it does what I think it does).
Two extra lights on the fenders: A definite plus.
Deluxe cushion seat: Not so sure about.
Tool box: I could add one myself.
12v outlet: Not sure I would need that
Floor mat: Hello.

The salesman was hoping to have the 1000 line up on the floor for the dealership openhouse mid March. They already have received the loaders.

/ Position control hitch question? #3  
The position control has a lever with a scale. if I have my rear blade attached and I place the 3PH control lever at "7", the hitch will place the blade at the same position each time I move the lever to that number on the scale. My 2520 also has an adjustable stop for the control lever that makes it easy to return it to the same position without looking. The alternative to position control is to have a simple raise/lower valve that isn't indexed and gives you no direct way of returning the implement to the same position.

/ Position control hitch question?
Thanks for the replies and the link. I am trying to learn all I can.

I suppose it's a personal thing, but I wonder if the rough approximate cost (from previous posters) of $1300 is worth it to move up to the 1026R?

/ Position control hitch question? #5  
For many, position control vs 1/4 inching valve such as on the Kubota SCUT's (don't know if the 1023 has 1/4 inching) is a non issue, so it is going to depend on the individual. For me, position control is VERY important and would be a deal breaker.

Both look like really nice tractors, but my pick would be the 1026.

/ Position control hitch question? #6  
I thought there was really 3 different ways that 3 point lifts operated. #1 is what I'd call full position control with the ability to duplicate settings, just like pdp11 described above. #2 is position control with some sort of valve where you can raise or lower part way but no scale to get repeatable positions. #3 is total lack of position control in which there is only full up or full down settings. The lack of position control is what my JD dealer told me a few years ago was on one of the JD SCUTs. I could be mistaken but I think he told me that's how the 2305 worked and it was a deal breaker for me. Anyone verify this?

/ Position control hitch question? #7  
bz1,
I think your explanation is about right except you can play with the 2305 to some degree. I have never used a 2305 but was told by the dealer that it has detents for up and down?

All of my tractors have position control, my lawnmowers 3PH has a center detent valve to operate the hitch thus no position control or repeatability. The center detent valve offers decent control however and is the same for all the other functions such as a fel or backhoe on the tractors.

For anyone buying or having only one tractor I would strongly suggest that they go with position control.

/ Position control hitch question? #8  
Yes, I don't know how you can operate almost any 3 point implement without position control other than those that have gauge wheels attached such as maybe a rear finish mower. I don't think most others have gauge wheels. I have a tiller, fertilizer spreader, back blade, tank sprayer, bush hog, and post hole digger. They would all be hard to use without position control. That's why I stayed away from the 2305 and everything like it without position control. If the manufacturers want to reduce cost one of the last things they ought to take away is position control. It makes the tractor so much less useful.

/ Position control hitch question? #9  
A 2305, like my 2210 has a three position 3pt lift lever with detent each direction.

If I pull the lever into the raise position and let go of it, the lever stays in the lift position until it reaches it's max height then kicks the lever back to center.

If I push the lever into the lower position and let go of it, the lever stays in the lower position until it reaches it's minimum height and the lever stays there.

To adjust lift height you have to quickly click it into the lift/lower position and click it back to center. This allows small increments of lift/lower, normally called 1/4 inch valving.

I've used it enough that I can do some pretty delicate BB work. But generally speaking, it sucks.

Position control means the lift arms will always stop in the same place when the lift lever is repeatedly moved to the same position. Thus position control. It allows smooth minimal movement of the lift arms. Also allows a lever stop to be set repeating the lowered height such as when using a Brushcutter.