uses for the john deere 2520

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #1  

HammA5690

Tractor
Jd 2520
This will probably be the last thread before I decide to purchase a jd 2520 with a 200cx and 62D MMM. Also the tractor will have wheel wieghts and a BB.

What does everyone use their 2520 for. I plan to use it for mowing, plowing, small scale logging for firewood and in the futer when I get a BH landscaping and trenching.

I am just wondering if this tractor is capable of all of this. I was looking at a 2320 but decided to upgrade to avoid any regrets later. So just post what you use your 2520 or 2320 for and how it does in that task.

Thanks for the input.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #2  
My 2520 uses:

Mowing (finish and rough cut - mid mount mower, rear finish mower, brush hog)
Moving things with loader and three-point hitch (bucket, pallet forks, boom pole, trailer hitch, carryall)
Moving snow (with front blade, rear blade, loader and blower)
Chipping wood (with BX42 chipper)
Digging and removing stumps and rocks (with 46 backhoe)
Moving dirt and gravel (with rear blade and box blade and landscape rake)

Does it all for me with no complaints. If I was buying now, I'd go for the 2720so it would do the rear PTO stuff a little better... (2720 wasn't available when I bought mine).

I only have about 185 hours on mine, but so far, have had no mechanical issues.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #3  
Landscaping projects (i.e. trenching, material moving, planting trees) in the spring, summer and fall and snowplowing (modified 54" snow plow) in the the winter. If I have a lot of garbage and junk to take to the curb, I just load up the bucket and make one trip. My machine is a 2008 and has been completely trouble free. I have worked it hard on occasion and did performs flawlessly. The only complaint I have is the 2-speed transmission. A middle range would be nice, but it wasn't a deal breaker.

Ryan

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #4  
Mowing about 3.5 acres of lawn with the 62D deck.
Occasionally mowing about 3 acres of field with the 62D deck raised.
Grading a gravel driveway and private road with a 60" rear blade.
Leveling and grading soil using both the FEL and RB.
Digging up large rocks out of the yard with the FEL.
Moving stuff with the FEL (endless possibilities).
Providing a sleeping place for a large grey cat.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #5  
lots of mowing with a 54DMMM
snow blowing (4 foot)
grading with a 4 foot blade
brush cutting, trail maintenence with a 4 foot brush cutter
Mucking out the barn, turning the manure pile, moving sand/gravel and landscaping with the bucket

LOVE my 2320....

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #6  
Don't have a 2520, but I do have a 2320 with the 200CX and 62MMM. I use mine for mowing 5 acres, moving snow (250" driveway and 1/2 mile private road), carrying fence line debris to the burn pile and pulling my trailer around. This year I plan on moving dirt (leveling things out), planting trees and putting in a garden. I've had mine for 6 months and love it!
Congrats (in advance) on your new tractor! :thumbsup:

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #7  
take my advice and save your money on the mid mount mower . just get you a rear finish mower its way less head ache and will do a better job . i had the exact tractor your looking at with back hoe and all . the mmm was never worth the money it cost to me . it was forever scalping the yard or the front casters didnt work properly or it would clog up if the grass was just a little to high . i found a used bush hog rear finish mower that was actually a 72 inch cut that did a far better job with half the head ache.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #8  
I use mine for finish mowing 2+ acres, occassionaly use a bushhog on a 5 acre field, clearing trails in the woods, hauling out logs to cut and split, moving aforementioned split wood to stack near the house with FEL. I've also dug over 40 holes for posts and trees using an auger on the rear pto. Moved lots of snow, dirt, etc. I've had mine since late 2005, only problem was part of the mount for the mmm come off, which I then promptly ran over - which is how I learned the piece come off upon hearing the blades hit metal in the middle of my lawn.... Perfect otherwise.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #9  
Just a comment on the mid mount mower comment above. I've got a 62D and love it. When I first got it I hated it. I couldn't control the height and it did a rough job of mowing. The dealer sent out the "big tractor mechanics" to fix it twice with no improvement. Then I crawled under it, figured out how it worked, spent a half hour adjusting the lift and level and it was great.

I would never prefer a rear mower from the aspect of being able to maneuver easily. Each to his own, but the John Deere MMM seems to have a bad reputation because some dealers haven't spent the time to adjust them properly.

/ uses for the john deere 2520 #10  
KennyG said:
Each to his own, but the John Deere MMM seems to have a bad reputation because some dealers haven't spent the time to adjust them properly.

I had a similar experience. I had to redo the setup of the MMM lift on my tractor. After doing that, I was much happier with it. It's really not that hard to get it right, it just takes a little more time than some of the dealers are willing to take.