compact tractor buying

/ compact tractor buying #1  

philfoltman

I have recently bought a farm in Loudoun County, VA and looking for a clean used JD compact 4wd tractor. I recently sold a farm in NY with a 2004 790. Looking for another clean 790 or comparable hydrostatic model. Thanks in advance.

/ compact tractor buying #2  
Welcome to TBN, phil. Was your '04 JD 790 the 30hp model? If you're looking for similar Hp in a Hydro unit - that would likely put you in the market for either the JD 3032E or possibly the JD 3038E.

They are JD's economy Hydro models.

If you're considering a few more bells and whistles you'd be looking at a 3320 model.

Check out JD's website for the "Build Your Own" configurator for ideas regarding options and MSRP estimates for the different models.

AKfish

/ compact tractor buying #3  
I haven't been able to get an answer to this question - either through research or posting on this site (I also haven't had the time to go to the dealer to look for myself)... but, it appears that Cub Cadet/Yanmar is making a model called the SX3100, which is identical to the Deere 2720 in every regard except color. This caused me to recently look at that brand online, which hadn't been a consideration of mine when I recently shopped for another compact, because I still believed that their compacts were gasoline powered (I had looked at them several years ago).

At any rate, the reason I mention this is because their website appears to show a model called the EX2900/3200, which physically looks quite similar to the Deere 790/3005, but with hydrostatic drive. If Deere had offered such a model, I'd have carefully considered it. Again, the reason I didn't consider it from Cub Cadet/Yanmar is because I hadn't paid any attention. On the demerit side, although I can't really tell from pictures, it doesn't appear to have split brakes. So, if your farm involves tilling, etc., that may prove to be an unacceptable limitation to you.

Otherwise, as AKFish said, the 3032e and 3038e are hydro options from Deere and certainly are in the same class as the 790. Again, they lack split brakes. But otherwise, when I sat on them at the dealer, they "felt" really solid and well manufactured. The detents in the range selector were very positive, suggesting a degree of quality above what you'd expect from an "economy" tractor - indeed, the 790/3005 are the same way in my opinion... very well built. Oh, and another thing, my dealer didn't know that Deere now offers a loader removal kit for the 3032e/3038e, which means that it does NOT have to be permanently mounted... not as easy as the 3000-series quick attach, but pretty close.

/ compact tractor buying
Thanks for replying. Mine was the 30 hp, 4spd. I liked the unit for everything it did and had no issues with it. A hydro may be easier for my wife to drive. I also know some of the newer models have an easier disconnect for attachments.

Welcome to TBN, phil. Was your '04 JD 790 the 30hp model? If you're looking for similar Hp in a Hydro unit - that would likely put you in the market for either the JD 3032E or possibly the JD 3038E.

They are JD's economy Hydro models.

If you're considering a few more bells and whistles you'd be looking at a 3320 model.

Check out JD's website for the "Build Your Own" configurator for ideas regarding options and MSRP estimates for the different models.

AKfish

/ compact tractor buying #6  
I had planned to buy a 4WD 3005 with FEL. My wife insisted that I get hydro in case she needs to use it. I tried out the 3032E, with ags that was siting on the dealers lot and loved it. I ended up with a 3038E with FEL because the dealer had one coming in the next day with R4s.

The 3038 is working out well for mowing 5 acres and doing some loader work. It is traction limited with R4s but ags would tear up my yard.