Tractor Sizing Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #1  

doggieland

Tractor
doggieflyer@yahoo.com
Does anyone have experience with the 72" deck on a 2000 series tractor?

I'm looking at either the 2305, 2320 or 2520 with a mower deck, front blade, loader and rear plow. I have 7 acres to mow with a gradual rolling hill but no major hills. I was thinking to move up to the 2520 with the 72" deck, however my dealer told me the 2520 and even the 2720 is underpowered for the 72" deck. He recommended staying with the 62" deck or moving up to the 3520 with 72" deck.

Thank you.

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #2  
I think you would be fine with a 2520 or 2720.

The elementary school in my old 'neighborhood' (it was rural) used a 2wd JD 850 with a 72" MMM to mow about 8 acres bi-weekly and it did fine. I believe the 850's were 23 hp (less at pto).

The local council-owned Scout camp ran a 2wd Ford 1600 with a Woods 72" rear-mount mower which appeared to work well. I believe the 1600's were 22 hp (less at pto).

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #3  
If your tractor has at least 20 PTO HP, you shouldn't have much trouble. You'll want to mow frequently enough to keep the grass down though. Tall, thick or wet grass will likely require to operate at a lower speed.

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #4  
:welcome" doggieland

You need to decide if it is worth the gamble. I too would think going with the 2720 would power the deck under most good mowing conditions. Might have to take less than full width of the 72" if the grass gets long or is too wet.

If the 72" fits the 2720, I'd gamble if me. And not expect the dealer to cover my rear if it didn't work out. :)

If mods have to be made to get the 72" to fit, I'd for sure forget that route. Might be the 2xxx series isn't built to take that extra load on the power train, where the 3xxx line is heavier duty. Just a thought.

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #5  
I got a similar story from the dealer where I bought mine. They seemed to think that the 62D was a better match for the 2520. It was never really a choice for me because I wanted ease the of removal and attachment that the On-Ramp 62D deck offered. The 72" deck is not an On-Ramp drive-over deck.

I suppose it somewhat depends on what you are mowing, but I have no complaints about the 62D deck. I nearly always mow as fast as the tractor will go in low range. Only occasionally do I run into an area of grass thick enough to make me slow down. The combination of the 2520 and 62D cut my mowing time in half from the 60" trail mower I used to tow behind a JD 316 garden tractor. It's all relative, but I don't think deck width is everything.

/ Power needed for 72" mid-mount mower deck #6  
I currently own a 1981 850 with a 72" mmm. The tractor is advertised at 22 hp and 20 hp at the pto. The only time I have any trouble is if I let the grass get too tall. If it is about 8 inches or less it does fine. At 9-10 inches or longer it begins to struggle. And then only on the very thick parts. Normal weekly mowing is not a challenge at all. I am sometimes amazed at the volume of grass it cuts and moves out the discharge chute.
I also have 430 with a 60" deck. It is more agile but the cut is no better than the 850 even though the 430 has a mulching adapter.
I cut a little less than 5 acres so I do appreciate the wider cut on the 850. It definitely makes a difference in the time spent mowing.