Buying Advice To many choices going mad

/ To many choices going mad #1  

smalltown

Gold Member
Tractor
2011, JD 2520
Originally wanted a 2305 then found out about the 1026R, both seemed to be sized for my lot of 1.8 acres. I will use it with a small box blade, mowing, homeowner backhoe work and eventually adding a snowblower or snowplow. A while ago I sat on the 2320 after the 2305 and my immediate reaction was the 2320 was much to big for me. The horespower is almost even giving the nod to the 1026R by one HP, both the PTOs are 18HP. Cat 1 3PH on the 2320,approx 200 lbs heavier and a little more ground clearance. So to me a tractor novice it was a matter of physical size.
I cannot get over the difference sitting on the 2320. It seems like I am up in the air in comparison.
Today I asked for a quote on a 1026R, and with the special pricing I thought why not ask for a 2320 quote.

I outfitted both with loader (h120 and 200cx respectively), backhoe and 54" deck (to be changed to a 60" deck).
To my surprise the 2320 was only $500 more., $800 if I include the $300 coupon JD just issued for the 1026R
I even managed to coax the wife into sitting on the 2320 (no 1026R available yet) and tell me what she thought.
Surprisingly she said I'd get the 2320 this feels like a tractor.

The 1026R is probably the best fit, but I think the 2320 and attachements (especially the #46 backhoe)are worth a lot more than the $500 difference.
On paper the 2320 is approx 6" longer, wider and taller than the 2305. I asked about the extra weight of th 2320 on my lawn and he thought it might actually by easier on the lawn because of the bigger tires???????????

I am beginning to think there should be a reality show of perspective tractor buyers. One by one as they go mad trying to decide they are illiminated. The one left standing gets a new tractor free, and cash to buy a new home:confused2:.

P.S. I read almost all the JD posts and have learned quite a bit. I must admit I was a little un-nerved by the 2320 snapped drive shaft posting.

/ To many choices going mad #2  
Go with the Wife. When she's right she's right.

Don't forget to consider Turf Tires is this is going to be primarily a small "estate tractor." Consider the tasks for each component. For example what do you anticipate lifting with the FEL? Which will do the job? How deep holes might you want to dig. Are you planning to dig out stumps? Look at the various options to install / remove the MMM and the lift mechanisms.

In Maine a blade or FEL bucket may not cut it for snow, so review the snowblower options for each candidate.

The answers to some of these questions may point you in the best direction for your situation.

/ To many choices going mad #3  
I went through a similar situation three years ago when I replaced my BX2200 with a BX2660. Looking at brochures and such over the winter, I had decided that the B2920 was the tractor for me, more power, bigger tires and not all that much money difference. After looking at them on the lot side by side and crawling on them, I came to the conclusion that at least in this case "bigger is not better, it is just bigger" and got the BX2660. Fortunately for me, my wife also agreed.

As with the John Deere models mentioned, there was not much difference, but just enough. Good luck in deciding because it is a difficult decision to make.

We did buy a John Deere 2305 over a bigger model for another farm, but we have other tractors there if needed.

Good luck.

/ To many choices going mad #4  
2x here - go with your wife. She knows what she's talking about... and she knows you! After a year or so with the 2320 - you'll wonder why you thought it was too big and you'll ask yourself why you really considered the 1026R!! ;)

For the price differences you've mentioned it's not even a contest!

AKfish

/ To many choices going mad #5  
Just go and sit on a 2520, then you can add that one into the mix of choices :)

/ To many choices going mad #6  
smalltown said:
Originally wanted a 2305 then found out about the 1026R, both seemed to be sized for my lot of 1.8 acres. I will use it with a small box blade, mowing, homeowner backhoe work and eventually adding a snowblower or snowplow. A while ago I sat on the 2320 after the 2305 and my immediate reaction was the 2320 was much to big for me. The horespower is almost even giving the nod to the 1026R by one HP, both the PTOs are 18HP. Cat 1 3PH on the 2320,approx 200 lbs heavier and a little more ground clearance. So to me a tractor novice it was a matter of physical size.
I cannot get over the difference sitting on the 2320. It seems like I am up in the air in comparison.
Today I asked for a quote on a 1026R, and with the special pricing I thought why not ask for a 2320 quote.

I outfitted both with loader (h120 and 200cx respectively), backhoe and 54" deck (to be changed to a 60" deck).
To my surprise the 2320 was only $500 more., $800 if I include the $300 coupon JD just issued for the 1026R
I even managed to coax the wife into sitting on the 2320 (no 1026R available yet) and tell me what she thought.
Surprisingly she said I'd get the 2320 this feels like a tractor.

The 1026R is probably the best fit, but I think the 2320 and attachements (especially the #46 backhoe)are worth a lot more than the $500 difference.
On paper the 2320 is approx 6" longer, wider and taller than the 2305. I asked about the extra weight of th 2320 on my lawn and he thought it might actually by easier on the lawn because of the bigger tires???????????

I am beginning to think there should be a reality show of perspective tractor buyers. One by one as they go mad trying to decide they are illiminated. The one left standing gets a new tractor free, and cash to buy a new home:confused2:.

P.S. I read almost all the JD posts and have learned quite a bit. I must admit I was a little un-nerved by the 2320 snapped drive shaft posting.

Smalltown,

I went through the same scenario. When I started looking back in January to replace my aging lawn tractor I was looking at a 2305 until I learned they were being replaced by the new 1 series machines, and availability was scarce at best. So then I got pricing on the 1026r and was told by the dealer that they were going to be available in late March. Sounds like a great machine from the details I picked up from them and various posts on TBN. With that said, I never by a new production model until it's been around for a while. With that philosophy and availability dates being pushed back until mid-summer, I thought the best option for my needs would be the 2320. There are other manufacturers who make great tractors, but having two JD dealers closest to where we live made my choice to go with green. After dealer and the multiple implement discounts, the 2320 was $1,400 less than the 1026r. That made my decision a no brainer. Now I'm just counting the minutes until it comes in. Especially on nights like tonight when we are getting hammered with an April fool's snow storm, thinking about how nice it would be to be blowing out that wet heavy snow tomorrow with the new machine with the brand new 54" two stage snow blower mounted on the front. I'll have to make due with the old machine with the single stage blower.

Funny that you mentioned that your wife said to go with the 2320. I took my wife when I went over to test drive one and she thought it was too big! BTW, she is a woman who was born, raised and is currently working on her family farm.

Anyway, best of luck with your decision!

/ To many choices going mad
Thanks for all the counselling (I mean advice).

Still wondering why the 2320 seemed so much higher then the 2305.
I re-read the brochure. I was wrong the 2320 is actually 11.8" higher (hood height)and combined with higher ground clearance (do know how much) that must raise the "floor" so you are sitting higher. Duh!

Any thoughts on the wider tires on the 2320 lowering the impact on the lawn?
Althought the 2320 must be about 200lbs heavier I have no idea how much these wider tires change things. 2305 26x12-12, 2320 31x13.5-15. I would opt for the turf tires since most of the time it would be mowing.

P.S. Hard to think about mowing as it's snowing 8-14" expected

Last edited:
   / To many choices going mad #9  
I had the 2210 for six years and now have a 2720. I have no regrets for going bigger. That being said, I have 6 acres and 1000 ft driveway and I run a pto chipper. Good reasons for stepping up in size. With 1.8 acres (You didn't mention driveway size but I would think snowblower performance would be equal.) I don't know if I would go with the 2320. The reason I say this is with the 1026r you get the auto connect deck, tilt steering and a beautiful seat setup. If you don't mind waiting until fall to get one.

/ To many choices going mad #10  
Thaks for all the counselling (I mean advice).

Still wondering why the 2320 seemed so much higher then the 2305.
I re-read the brochure. I was wrong the 2320 is actually 11.8" higher (hood height)and combined with higher ground clearance (do know how much) that must raise the "floor" so you are sitting higher. Duh!

Any thoughts on the wider tires on the 2320 lowering the impact on the lawn?
Althought the 2320 must be about 200lbs heavier I have no idea how much these wider tires change things. 2305 26x12-12, 2320 31x13.5-15. I would opt for the turf tires since most of the time it would be mowing.

P.S. Hard to think about mowing as it's snowing 8-14" expected

Always, always...get the bigger tractor. You haven't mentioned anything about storge considerations......so get the bigger heavier tractor. AKfish hit the nail on the head.
Look around the site and see how many people traded up or upgraded to a bigger machine. Don't make that mistake, you like the big one (you know you do), if you don't buy it your going to regret it IMHO.