Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow?

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #1  

coollx

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
I just took delivery of my new 2520. My original order, based on the dealer's recommendation, was for R4 tires. He delivered the tractor with Turf's (R3) and said as soon as another tractor he has coming in with R4's arrives he will send someone to my house and switch them.

I've been looking through the archives regarding R4 vs R3 and it seems opinions and recommendations are pretty well split.

So, I'm wondering whether to keep the Turf's or let them switch them for
R4's?

My 2520 has a loader, backhoe and front mount snowblower. I won't be mowing with the 2520 but will be doing a lot of yard work which will involve driving around on the grass quite a bit. I've previously owned a JD 4100 and two JD 855's all with turf tires and really never had a problem so I'm wondering which tires to go with.

I also noticed that some people were indicating the R4's are more rugged then Turf's and may have more plies? Is this true?

Will the R4's handle the weight of the backhoe better when doing loader work to move material from point A to point B? With only a few hours of seat time on my new tractor I do seem to notice some swaying in the back of the tractor when making turns?

The archives I found seem to suggest the R4's are not good in the snow and since I spend a lot of time clearing snow in the winter that concerns me.

I can imagine that the R4's will be better for loader work but are they that bad in the winter in the snow?

Btw, in the winter for clearing snow I've always just left the tractors in 4WD which may be the reason I've never had a problem.

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #3  
I have a set of both for my 2520. IMO, the R4s are much better for loader work. They are 6ply I think, vs 4 ply on the R3s. R4s do ride rougher due to being stiffer. R3s are great IMO in the snow, better than the R4s. I use the loader/rear blade for snow removal. The tread pattern on the R3s are so far spaced on the rear tires, they give a great bite. Now for working in mud, they both stink!!

I run the R3s for winter and early spring while rolling yards, then the R4s go on until the next winter.

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #4  
2 years..mud/snow not one problem w/R4's,you could purchase set tire chains for turfs until your really sure...chains w/turf tires are good combo even in deep snow.

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #5  
coollx I wondered the same thing R3 or R4.
The R3 tires I have seen on the new 2520 are a Carlile brand.
They sure did seem to have an agressive tread on them. I wanted to find a picture of them on the web, but didn't find any.
I also will use them in the snow, but primarily mowing in the summer.

Do you kow what model Carlile tire you have?

PS It seems to me the tread on these R3 turfs aren't like previous treads I have seen on turf tires.

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #6  
I have R4's and they do a fair job on snow. I had R1's on my previous tractor. I have never been overly impressed with R1 or R4 tractor tires performance in the snow. I bought chains for my R4's this past winter after three winters not using chains. I consider the chains one of the best investments I have ever made.

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #7  
I didn't have chains last winter,and spun constantly. Bought them for this winter and,oh man,what a difference. IMO,R4s' and chains are a great combo.:thumbsup:

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #8  
Agree chains are a great addition, however (there is always a however) they can do a job on a garage floor if your not careful all the time.

P.S. just wanted to say that your ballast box is unbelievably great !

/ Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #9  
They will tear up a concrete garage floor. I put rubber horse mats in my garage to protect the floor.

Attachments

• DSCF1416.JPG
    DSCF1416.JPG
    456.3 KB · Views: 454
   / Are R4's Really Bad In The Snow? #10  
R4 are "fine" in snow, but you will save yourself a lot of grief if you invest in chains (regardless of your tread).