Price Check What am I missing

/ What am I missing #1  

mred

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305, JD318
I am currently shopping for a mower to cut a small area on either side of a long driveway. I am looking at 10' by 500 long. I have been looking for about two years now. I looked at flails and rotary and decided rotary is much cheaper and for what I need it for why not go cheaper. I decided to buy a Frontier 2048 from the dealer that I have purchased the tractor and several implements from. The rotary cutter configured as the dealer has it shows an MSRP of $1556.00 on the John Deer site. Unfortunately my dealer wants to charge me $1720.00. I have started negotiations with this dealer for implements above MSRP before. This time I am tired of the game and don't want to play. Is there a hidden shipping charge that is not included in MSRP or something else I could be missing to justify this behavior ? I read the posts and see many looking at getting 10-15 percent off MSRP? What am I missing here ??

/ What am I missing #2  
Unfortunately, if your dealer does not sell a fair amount of Frontier product, they probably are paying for shipping and receiving no additional discount. All dealers can order through a pre-season order plan which, depending on amount of product ordered will give you free freight (including subsequent orders throughout the year) and additional discounts - larger order = higher discounts. I have no idea how your dealer is ordering, but if it is one at a time, the best you will probably get after freight and set-up would be list price. Just an example, the last RC2060 (I did not bring in any 48's this year) that came in had $102.77 in freight charges on it, plus an hour of set-up (my shop is at $89.00) which means you are close to $200.00 in costs that you really don't see. I am certainly not saying that they should be charging you more than list, but I could see list as the best price available if they are not using the pre-season order plan.

/ What am I missing #3  
It's quite possible the Deere website isn't up to date as the dealer prices I'm seeing on Tractorhouse range from $1465 to $1725.
That's a lot of money for a 48" cutter!!!

Maybe you should try another brand (King Kutter, Howse).

/ What am I missing #4  
Mred,

Welcome to Deere tractor and implement pricing in NH. I feel your pain but this is what we have to deal as far as what stuff costs. Several years ago one of the dealers, (no longer in business with the Deere consolidation program) told me that the dealerships know what each charges and won't low ball the others to take away customers. My friend, a dentist says they do the same thing.

That being said, the quality of the Deere dealerships in NH is great. Mine has gone out of their way numerious times to make sure I was 200% happy, even delivering balloons to my childs birthday party one year. Service like that you can't put a price on which is why I went back to them today to start the negotions for a new tractor knowing full well it's going to cost me more but if anything goes wrong, I know they have my back.

As for implements, I have many purchased off of Craigslist. You just have to wait for the right item at the right price to come around. Deals will come on Craigs, you just have to wait and have a bit of luck.

Tom

/ What am I missing
Thank you for the replies. Bleedgreen thank you for the dealer perspective the dealer has 8 to 10 of these sitting on the lot recently delivered. Would they still have to pay shipping for that number ? I have purchased everything from this one dealer , Tractor, Snow-blower, rake, etc and other items but I am thinking maybe it is time to move on and travel if necessary to find a dealer willing to treat me right meaning only we both feel good about a purchase. It seems 10% to 15% above MSRP for a long time loyal customer becomes abuse at some point. What do you think ?

RoyJackson thank you I think you are correct it is a lot of money. I thought I would give myself a bit of a present but if I am being treated unfairly I can wait or do without.

Tomd999 if I had a dealer that would treat me right like you are talking about I would be happy with them also. I know my attorney has my back. If I had a dealer that did what yours does it would cost me much less than the attorney.

/ What am I missing #6  
N.H. craigslist has several riding mowers that will mow 10'x500' in 4 passes & cost under $500. Why would you want a mower attachment that takes longer to attact & remove than the time it will take to mow? :confused: MikeD74t

/ What am I missing
The area was scrub oak. It has been cleared but what grows there is not grass. I have a belly mower that will cut the area but it is abuse as there is just to much stuff to hit. I wanted to cut with something made to cut areas like this.

/ What am I missing #8  
I recently did some shopping at various NH and MA Deere dealers and was surprised at the difference in price for the same equipment (JD2330, FEL and Frontier RB1060). The best and most helpful dealer I found was in Pembroke, NH. North Country Tractor gave me the best price right off the bat with no hidden charges. Call or email Tony. They have 4 dealerships around the state and probably have what you need in stock.

/ What am I missing #9  
My dealer lets me pay MSRP all the time. I never knew I was getting such a good deal! :)