Buying Advice Right tractor for 14 acres

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #1  

Whitnel

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota GL3240
New member here. I have been doing a lot of reading over the last few months. I am looking for something around a 30ish HP tractor with hydro or power reverser. This should let me pull a 5' bush hog. I also want my wife to be able to drive the tractor with not much problem plus I have a lot of loader work to do.

We will be building a house on 14 acres we bought a few years ago. I am currently building what will be 1/2 mile long gravel drive that will have to be maintained. Some light clearing in about a 1 acre wooded area. The rest is field that has been cut for hay each year.

I found two 3203's that were around $12,500 with a loader that seem ok. But have found these are the old version of the new 3032. I am have read that these tractors have limited upgrade ability due to there economy package. But I still like the 3203 for some reason.

I recently found a 4600 with a 5' finish mower, 5' bush hog and box blade for $15,500 with 650 hours. This is a larger tractor which I would not complain about and could pull larger attachments. Is there anything against the older 00 series tractors with the mechanical hyro vs. the newer 10 series with the electric hydro. I have also seen a few nice looking 4310 tractors. I rented a 4710 last year to bush hog with and really liked it.

What suggestions or direction would you guys recommend? I need to narrow my field down and make a purchase. I really don't have the money to go buy a brand new loaded tractor. Could maybe swing a 3032 as i think they are around 16k.

Thanks

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #2  
With that much gravel road to maintain I would want 6' attachments, minimum.

I too like the 3032 and I think it will do everything you want it to do, with ease. However, it is a basic tractor with good power at an affordable price, new.

If you want bells and whistles, price will be inching towards 20+ thousand in no time at all.

If I were you I would give the 3032 a chance. People like them. It would pull a 6' box blade or a 7 or 8' rear rake. Good tools for your road.

Find out what the 3032 will cost new and then look for used machines in that price line and make a choice, new or used.

In a gear tractor, you might look to a JD790 (used). A good tractor at a reasonable cost.

In the Deere line-up for new tractors between 15 and 20K, look at the 3005, 3032 and the 2520.

Also, don't rule out different brands...Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra....might be less $$$$$. Find out for yourself. And sit on and test drive for ergonomics.

Best wishes. You will love having a tractor.:thumbsup:

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #3  
I think the 3032e /3038e are compelling bargains but if you get the loader it's going to be hard to hit your price target for a new machine. I use my 3038e for bushhogging only and even then, because I got the Deere 6' bushhog and all the weights I need to balance it, the price went up to around $16,700 with tax. My only options (besides the RC2072 hog) were the front weight bracket extension, 8 -70# weights and the hoodguard, which I have never needed. No weights or fill for the R4 tires.

If you could do without the loader and shopped around for a 5' bushhog and boxblade, you could likely come in well under the 16K or so you mentioned in the post, with all new equipment.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #4  
New member here............. Is there anything against the older 00 series tractors with the mechanical hyro vs. the newer 10 series with the electric hydro. I have also seen a few nice looking 4310 tractors. I rented a 4710 last year to bush hog with and really liked it.
.........Thanks

I have the 4300 and could recommend it highly. Slightly smaller frame than the 4710, but more adaptable to your wife's liking, I'd suspect.

I've considered upgrading, but can't get beyond the fine performance the 4300 has given me.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres
msmud,
How do you like the loader controls for the 3038? I have not tried that style of control yet but the loader control built in the tractor looks more comfortable. At least it looks more similar to the bucket control that backhoes have.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #6  
A 5045E Is a good option too. Around 20,000 for a beefy good all round tractor.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #7  
Cant really add much to what has been mentioned other than I feel you are looking at the right sized tractor for your needs. I would stay in the 3xxx line and NOT drop to the 2000 series.

Only advise I can offer is (as already mentioned) dont limit yourself just to deere. There are pleanty of other good brands that bay have features and price you like better. Kubota, Kioti, New Holland, MF, are just a few that come to mind.

Final peice of advise, if it is IMPORTANT that your wife is comfortable driving the tractor, take her with you shopping and let HER test out potential tractors BEFORE you shell out the green. Make sure she is going to like:thumbsup:

/ Right tractor for 14 acres
Only advise I can offer is (as already mentioned) dont limit yourself just to deere. There are pleanty of other good brands that bay have features and price you like better. Kubota, Kioti, New Holland, MF, are just a few that come to mind.

Final peice of advise, if it is IMPORTANT that your wife is comfortable driving the tractor, take her with you shopping and let HER test out potential tractors BEFORE you shell out the green. Make sure she is going to like:thumbsup:

I wanted to look at a New Holland but they along with the bobcat dealer are not open on the weekend and close at 5 during the week. The Kubota and Deere dealerships are open on Saturdays and are close to the land so those are the two in the lead currently.

I was thinking about taking the wife with me so you just confirmed my thinking. I want her to feel comfortable driving it when needed.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #9  
Whitnel,
In my quest to get the cheapest JD tractor to power a 6 foot bushhog, I got my 3038 without the loader, so unfortunately I can't comment on loader operation.

As far as how accomodating and easy the 3E series is to operate, I relate the following story "for academic study purposes only:" my 53" tall 10 year old son who weighs all of 50 pounds wanted to drive the tractor, but I told him the weight sensor on the seat would prevent him, so he filled his backpack with rocks and proposed driving the tractor down our 1/3 mile long gravel road with backpack in his lap; knowing the boy to be level-headed (perhaps more so than his father) I slid the seat all the way foward, and seeing he had no difficulty with the drive pedals or the steering wheel position, I let him drive the machine 1/3 mile hunched over his bag of rocks while I walked behind him; with my instruction he parked the tractor, set the emergency brake, lowered the bushhog and turned it off. He said it was about as easy to drive as his grandmother's Gator, but with easier steering. I'm willing to bet your wife would have no trouble with the 3E series. No, I don't let the lad bushhog.

/ Right tractor for 14 acres #10  
I bought a used 4105 John Deere and LOVE it ! Pulls 6 ft stuff with no problems , lots of power ! Still fits on 16 ft car hauler with room to spare !