Looking at 3000 and 4000 series...

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #1  

couchsachraga

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 4520 cab... formerly Yanmar 336D
I've read a lot of threads, but it seems each situation is different and lots of folks are happy to help spend others $$ ;)

Here's a bit about my current situation:

Right now I have a '83 Yanmar 336D (33hp, 4wd, powershift), CCM top and tilt, plus third valve up front (for a grapple). Curtis soft side cab plus the usual ROPS. GREAT tractor... but I'd like something with a little more capacity...(loader lifts 1500 to full height) and a cab.

I also have an old beast of a backhoe (9 ton Dynahoe 190 from the early eighties).

I'd like to get down to one machine, or maybe replace both and later get a mini excavator.

I upkeep about 200 acres, but only 5 or so is field to be mowed once or twice a year. The rest are cross country ski / snowmobile trails through mixed forest (trails also get mowed, about 8 miles I can mow now, takes at least 2 passes). Northeast US (Adirondacks)

I also upkeep 1.5 miles of dirt road (well, dirt, ledge, and swamp) to get in to the place.

I also have a portable band saw mill and use the grapple A LOT to bring trees out to mill up and clean up brush. I don't know what I did before the grapple rake! (a WR Long).

None of the above is a vocation, it's all "hobby", thought when time permits (rarely) I do a few odd jobs for family / neighbors. Realistically what I have now works OK, but I've been talking about getting a cabbed tractor for a few years and it would be nice.

So, what I "think" I "need":
Cab, more power, eHydro (shuttle shift is nice but I think for all the loader and grapple work I do hydro would be better), more loader capacity (there are some logs I can't lift and use the Dynahoe), 3 circuits front and rear. Might go with a mid PTO if it's available for a front mount snowblower (I do a few driveways now with my truck and the tractor just sits all winter). It would be great if it was under 8' tall with cab (fit in my garage and barn with no modifications), likely R1 tires.

Current implements could be kept or traded in... 5' woods brush hog, 7' woods medium duty backblade, 6' woods medium duty box blade, 8' woods medium duty york rake, bucket with and without teeth plus the grapple.

I'd also like to be able to switch between implements quicker, especially on the front end (quick attach vs. the four pins which can be a real pain... over an hour sometimes to switch from the grapple to a bucket).

Budget is not unlimited, but given that I plan owning a long, long, long time I'm not overly concerned with up front cost.

I don't think I'd get a backhoe for it right away unless there was a good deal to be had - for the money I'd rather wait a year or two then pick up a used mini excavator, or just rent one for a week every few years.

I tend to lean towards the 4520, but I do wonder if I'd be better off with the 3720. WHen in the woods a bigger machine isn't always better (though i think my current 336D is about the same size as the 4520).

IF I purchase this year would likely be this fall or spring, depending on when pricing might be better. I'm putting a new roof on the barn that's in there this fall, and if all goes well and comes on budget (ha!) I'll have a little extra that along with selling or trading in what I've got could go a long way towards a new machine.

Thoughts and opinions greatly appreciated!

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #2  
I have been well satisfied with the 4520 cab with the exception of the hydraulic options, I would prefer more circuits available from the factory.

reading through your post I would recommend you see if you can find a leftover 110tlb fully loaded. I have been very satisfied with mine and have three front and three rear remotes. The only issue is that it is taller than the 4520 by about a foot. Seems like a 110 would fill all your needs and the fel is well built with better than a ton capacity.

Here is a pic of the 110 and 4520 side by side, the 4520 is about 95" tall.
The Laurin cab does not have any effect on the height as the open rops is the same height.

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #3  
If I had your needs I would strongly look at the 4520/4720. The new factory options on hydro ports and the lift capacity of the 400cx sounds like what you need. It takes longer to get off-on the tractor than it takes to do the QA mounts to swap front loader. I might consider going Skid steer mounts if I had to do it again, but I'm happy with the JD QA mounts. I have used the hooks and pins from JD to make other stuff into JD QA.

The 400CX has picked in excess of 2500 lb. I routinely use it to load-unload ton pallets.

The 4700 is only e-hydro but... the added HP above my 4520 with the 12/12 sync reverser is going to be used on the e-hydro/ AC for the cab.

Since I live in a temperate area (rarely below freezing, rarely above 90) I have an open station that does woods very well. I cannot discuss cabs.

Good luck

TEW

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #4  
Pretty hard to beat that 4520...more than enough power and get the air seat. Just skip the radio and get radio head phones or MP3. Prepare to be spoiled for a very long time.

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #5  
The 110TLB is a much heavier duty machine than the 4520. It will keep on lifting those heavy trees long after the 400 series loader on either a 45-4720 has gotten rattily and loose!

And the quick-attach backhoe for the 110 makes the 485 hoe look like a scrawny cousin! 'Course you might find a good 110 with the hydraulic thumb attachment, too. Works like a d@mn on stumps and pulling trees down!

Too bad that Deere has discontinued the 110 production....

And the 110 doesn't have a cab for winter snow blowing or plowing.

That alone would make me look at the 4000 series machines.

If you've already got a loader with basically the same capacity as the 300CX - and you want a stronger loader - why consider a 3720? I don't think you'll be happy with the stability of the 3720 in the woods and on the trails, either. Especially, if you go with a cab model. You'll want/need some serious wheel spacers.

Git ya a 4520 cab with 400CX loader and don't look back! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #6  
I initially owned a 3320 and traded after a couple of months because I wanted something bigger. I traded it in on a 4320. This is a much better machine. It has much more power, weight and stability and still remains very nimble in the woods. Both are OS machines. While I like the 4320, it I had to do it over again, I would go with the 4520 cab. with R1tires :licking:

The 4320 will do 90% of what I need, and my needs are very similar to yours. There have been a few times when R1 tires and the 10 extra hp of the 4520 could be utilized. There have been MANY times when the cab would have been REALLY nice. :licking:

If you can afford it, go with the 4520 or 4720 cab. :thumbsup:

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #7  
I have owned a 3720 with cab and now own a 4520 with cab. Both had FELs, extra remotes ect. For hills/slopes strongly recommend the 4520. Much more stable, and more clearance.

I also have a Toolcat 5610, 3 pt version. It is shorter in height and length than the 3720 or 4520, turns tighter, can carry 2, very easy to change out front attachments, much better visibility out the front for FEL work and can use about any attachments used for skid steers. Much smoother ride with independant suspension on the TC and will go 18 mph. Compromise is clearance is less but the bottom side is well protected compared to tractor. Traction is also not as good a tractor with R1 tires but not too much less than tractor with R4 tires. FEL will only lift 7', if that is important. PTO power is less than tractor because is it hydraulic compared to direct drive of a tractor. PTO power on TC is about 25 hp. I run on the front, snow pusher, blower, snow blade, PHD, forks, tree shear, trencher, finish mower, tiller, grapple buckets, tooth bucket ect. I modified the lift and tilt cylinders and can lift about 3000 lbs. TC is rated for 1500 lbs but widely known to lift 2000 lbs. On the rear I use box blade, rear blade, mower, tiller, seeder ect. For most tasks, I will pick the TC over the 4520.
Price of a loaded 5610 is only slightly more than a price of a loaded JD 4520 with cab. 5610 can use most of the current rear attachments you already have. There is also the 5600 version which is cheaper and has the dump box on the back. Handy for carrying or hauling stuff but otherwise same as the 5610.

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series... #8  
I have had an open-station 4120 for about 5 years now and it has exceeded all my expectations during that time. I have never felt a need for more power and my primary task is operating a 6-ft light-duty bush-hog. I also looked at the 3000 series when getting this tractor, and there really is no comparison in size between these two series. The 4000 series has much higher lift capacity, and is generally a more stable platform. What made the decision a no-brainer for me was the fact that the 4000 series had the JD Powertech engine while the 3000's use the Yanmar engines. Yanmars may be fine engines, but that turbo-charged, American-made Powertech is a little finer in my opinion and has never let me down in spite of some hard usage. My vote would surely be for the 4520. I think the 110 others have mentioned is also Yanmar-powered. With a 4520 hydro, and operating an AC in a cab, you will still be getting about the same or slightly more power to the ground than I am now with a power-reverser, open-station 4120 and it has always been plenty.

/ Looking at 3000 and 4000 series...
Thank you all for the thoughts, and keep the coming!

I've been educating myself about the 110 a bit, and though some bits seem ideal (hydraulics), the added price, extra height, no factory cab, and the fact a mini-excavator might be better have me leaning to the 4520.

I actually really like the idea behind the toolcat, BUT I think traction would be a big problem. I have new R1's all the way around and still have a hill or two I may lose traction on and can't make it up (soft soil in the woods over ledge and steep). I'm working on changing that, but even if I do I still have lots of rather wet areas. If you could get it with R1's it might be tempting, even with the extra price and lower lift height / capacity, if for no other reason thn I could put tracks on it and groom trails with it in the winter (I use an ATV with tracks now, I used to use various snowmobiles, would like to get a Pisten Bully at some point as I used to operate them for a few ski centers, but that's a very pricey high maintenance toy!)

thanks again! At this point I think I've crossed the 3000 series off the list at least:)