4700????

/ 4700???? #1  

gvw

Silver Member
Tractor
JD4700
Sorry - being the new guy I just posted my ???'s in the wrong place (Pricing Forum). Anyway , I'm very close to buying a 4700 MFWD w/460 FEL (w/ High volume bucket), 48 backhoe, MX6 Rottary cutter, 7' rear blade and "Curtis" canopy.
Unit will be utilized for pushing snow (reside @ 8000' in Col.), scrapping and stacking horsey doo-doo, murdering willows and sage on 180 acres up by Steamboat Springs plus performing general horse ranch functions.
My first question is tires - R1 or R4's - I was born and raised on farm equipment that only knew R1 style tires -which I thought was the answer until I observed several postings that indicated R4's were stronger due to a higher ply count. Traction on snow and ice is my primary concern with some minimal concern to boggy conditions while attacking the willows with the rottary cutter. Tearing up a lawn is not an issue.
Second question is telescopic draft links for a 4700 - dealer is indicating that they are not available on 4700 units and that I would have to go up to my second choice tractor (5310 which I have decided against due to the $'s though I still would consider - GAG!) Any aftermarket units available for the adjustable draft links?
I also would like a hard sided cab but the pictures that the dealer showed me of the Curtis unit were not very appealing appearance wise and appeared to be way short on visiblity when compared to the one found on those "Orange Units". Are there any other units (cabs) that I should look at?
Lastly - I am planning on purchasing unit with a Hydrostatic trans (for loader work) not necessarily for me but so the wife can also feel generally comfortable on the machine - was originally looking at PowrReverser but am leaning to the Hydorstatic unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Looking forward to your qualified and experienced responses.

/ 4700???? #2  
gvw, if traction is your main concern, I'd say go with the R1 tires. They'll give you the best traction. The R4s are harder to puncture if you're going to be running over thorns or other things such as that, but you sacrifice a little traction. I'm running R1s on my Kubota and so far have gotten on puncture from a mesquite thorn.

And I sure think you're right about getting the hydrostatic transmission. I wouldn't want anything else, gets the work done faster, easier, and safer.

No experience with the cabs, so can't help you there.

Bird

/ 4700???? #3  
gvw,

What is the difference in price on the 4700 and the 5310? I know it was a step up to get to the bigger series, but in my opinion anyway, you get a LOT more tractor once you get into the 5000/ten series. I had originally looked at the smaller Kubotas and then took a drive by the JD dealer, which was a lot farther from me, and was really impressed with the JD 5000 series machines. I originally was eyeing the 5310, but ended getting the 5410, and I'll tell you there is no comparison between the 5310/5410 and the 4000 series tractors.

It sounds like you have a lot of land to take care of, and could justify getting into the 5000 series, so I would give it serious consideration, especially if you are going to start adding things onto the 4000 series in order to make it more suitable for you.

Since it sounds like the lawn is not an issue for you, just make sure the 5000 series are not physically too big for what you need to do with it (i.e. will it fit in your barn etc).

I love my JD 5410, and evertime I get on it I am impressed and happy I got it...a very frew times I wishes it was just a little bit smaller, but more frequently I am glad I got the bigger machine when I have some hard work for it and need the extra weight/power.

Also, keep in mind a 6 foot cutter may be a tad too much for the 4700 if you are truly bushhoggin (as opposed to mowing fields of grass), when that blade starts spinning and wacking into a lot of branches/stumps/saplings, a lighter tractor will tend to shake around quite a bit, whereas a heavier tractor won't even notice it.

I use the 7 foot cutter (the JD717, MX series wasn't available) and the 5410 handles it easily.

Good luck.

/ 4700???? #4  
gvw, I have a 5210 (45hp @ PTO) with an MX6 cutter and have not had any problem pulling the cutter. I am cutting pasture grass but my land is very hilly. If the 4700 had been available when I bought the 5210 I would have bought it instead. I am thinking about trading for a 4700 since the hp is not much less and I can get the HST. The 5310 is nice but if you really want power go to the 5410/MFWD/PowrReverser. It should do all you want it to do, especially if you are going to add a backhoe. But, there is the problem of more $$$$$$$$$. I do not know if telescoping hitch arms are available but the ones on the 4700 will raise and lower a little bit. Please let me know what the asking price for the 4700/HST/R1 is.
Thanks

/ 4700???? #5  
Just in case anyone misunderstood my post, I wasn't suggesting that a 4700 couldn't *pull* a 6 foot cutter, no doubt it can, and no doubt it could pull it, and spin the blades and cut grass easily...what I was trying to say, was if you planned on doing any brush-cutting of anything other than trivial saplings, you may find the tractor not heavy enough to be stable when it really starts wacking into things. Maybe a 4700 with a loader and loaded tires wouldn't have a problem, but it is worth thinking about.

I agree with roysallis's comments, that if you like the 5310, you'll LOVE the 5410 (thats what I ended up with). More weight, more power, 4cyl, engine etc....in for a penny, in for a pound I say....

/ 4700????
Price that I'm getting on the 4700/R1/HST and 460 loader is $26K --- inc few extras such as wheel weights, back light, 73" bucket.

/ 4700???? #7  
I just bought a 4700 with the 460 FEL, MX6, and JD 48 Backhoe. I have done a lot of work over the last few weeks with the backhoe and FEL. A 4n1 bucket is an AWESOME tool. If you have stuff you need to pickup instead of scoop up, consider the 4n1 bucket.

I have only lightly used the MX6. I did manage to bounce it off some 4 inch stumps but that was not problem.

My 460 was NOT setup correctly by the dealer. They are fixing this as we speak and I should have it back Friday. All at their cost. As others have said, and it CANNOT be repeated enough, the dealer is the most important part of buy a tractor. So far they have bent over backwards to make things right for me. It was their mechanics fault and they have owned up to it. I'm satisfied so far. The problem with the 460 is that there can/might be a problem attaching the FEL to the tractor. There are very few adjustments that can be done with the FEL design and if everything is just not right the FEL will not lock onto the tractor correctly. This problem SHOULD be caught by the dealer. In my case, we could get the FEL onto the tractor but it took more work than it should have. JD also has a locking bracket for the front of the tractor. There is a L shaped part of the FEL that fits over the front weight bar. The bracket fits over and locks the L shaped part of the FEL to the weight bar and prevents the FEL from falling off the tractor.

Make sure you get this from the dealer.

If you are going to have a box blade I would strongly recommend a hydraulic top link as well. I have only used my box blade for an hour or so but the top link was SOOOOO helpful.

Tranny's. The HST robs a couple PTO horsepower compared with the PowerReverser. The PowerReverser is very easy to run. I drive a manual tranny truck and I found myself reaching for the PowerReverser control stick while driving the truck the other day! :cool:

If your wife does not know how to drive a manual then the HST tranny may be the way to go. I don't find myself changing gears all that often. I do go back and forward all the time and the PowerReverser does that without needing to clutch. Having said that, since I'm used to driving a manual, I just clutch when putting the PowerReverser in reverse or forward just out of habit

I looked at the 4000, 5n05's and 5n10's tractors. I settled on the 4700 because it had the most bang for the buck. IF you ever need a backhoe the JD48 is the way to go. If you have a 5n05 or 5n10 tractor the backhoe lists for just a bit over $11,000. That is a bit pricy for me. The 5n05 tractors have less FEL power then the 460 from what I can see. JD seems to have powered them down. Thats what pushed me into the 4700 tractor.

Hope this helps...
Dan

/ 4700????
Dan -= thanks for your input - one additonal question that has come up is the size of the alternator on the 4700 - I want to add some (probably 4 total) additional Hella 55 watt work lights front and rear for night time snow plowing - I'm concerned as to the stock alternator output - any comment. Also - what price did you get on your "goodies" - curious as to the $'s that I'm being quoted. Three local dealers are the same on the tractor and loader but go up/down from there on the rest of the toys.
G

/ 4700???? #9  
I just remembered one thing I forgot on my previous post. I asked about telescoping links and was told the same thing by the dealer. They were not available. The maddening thing is that the manual SHOWS some telescoping links! If I remember correctly JD is supposed to come out with the links in the near future. But I could be misremembering this.

The tractor was 21,133 with Hydraulic toplink, third 3rd SCV, R1s, and tall folding ROPS. I think this price also had the off tractor power connecter or what ever it is called that allows the connection to the JD 48 backhoe.

The 460 FEL was 4,910 but that is a 4n1 bucket with a diverter value. I THINK my original price on the FEL minus the 4n1 was around 3,500 plus or minus.

The MX6 was 1,958 with a slip clutch and rubber shields. I think I paid a bit much on this one.

The JD 48 was 6,934.

From what I can tell from scanning TractorByNet and jplan I got a fair price. I HOPE I got a fair price! :cool:

I did compare prices with those Orange and Blue tractors and it seemed that the prices were comparable with Green. But the JD price/performance on the 4700 vs TC45 vs 4610 gave Green the checker flag. The TC45 was 19,800 with HST. But did not include the toplink, 3rd SCV, and other goodies. I think the other goodies added up to $1,000 or there abouts. Since HST robs PTO horsepower it is a negative for me not a positive. I was told non HST TC45, had an icky tranny since you had to clutch all the time. But that could have been the sales guy pushing me to the HST which he had in stock. In any case, the TC45 and Kubota 4610 had less HP than the 4700 and some other performance related issues. I think I might have gotten a Blue or Orange a little cheaper but I got more performance from Green for a little more Green. :cool:

Regarding the alternator I'm not sure of an answer. How many amps do the Hella's draw? I want to put some 2 rear and 2 foward lights on the 4700. JD was selling some worklights in the 55 watt range and I think there was a spare circuit that would handle this. I'll have to remember to look in the manual. If I don't say something on this by next week send me a reminder note.

We need more Green on this board. To many Orange Men! And a few Orange Women! :cool:

Hope this helps...
Dan

/ 4700???? #10  
I'm looking at the 4700 manual and on page 68-69 they have a list of fuse positions. Position 10, 11, 12 are spare circuits. They are 10, 20, and 30 amps fuses.

The Work Light, Head Light, and Tail Lights are all on individual 20 amp circuits.

The only way I can see to mount the forward and rear facing work light would be to use U bolts or brackets that can wrap around the ROPS. But then you have a problem with the wires. The JD worklights I saw had the wires running through the bottom of the light but this looks like it would require drilling holes in the ROPS.

Now that I think about it. I don't have a work light on my tractor. At least that I can remember! :cool: So there might already be a 20 amp circuit ready for the lights.

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty