Buying Advice Will X748 Run a 3-pt hitch log splitter

/ Will X748 Run a 3-pt hitch log splitter #1  

OneMarineE5

Silver Member
Tractor
JohnDeere 2720
Hey everyone I have a question that I'm having difficulty answering myself. I am considering purchasing a TSC 3-pt hitch log splitter. Reviewers on TSC claims tractor should have 6-gallons/minute hydraulic flow. I can not find on JD site what hydraulic flow is on X700 series machines!

Thanks all.

Have a great day!

/ Will X748 Run a 3-pt hitch log splitter #2  
I wouldn't recommend it as the hydraulic pressure and flow are not suitable for this job. These mowers develop about 950psi at a low flow rate, while this is fine for most purposes it would be unsatisfactory for running a splitter.

/ Will X748 Run a 3-pt hitch log splitter #3  
Hiya,

The specs say 948 PSI & 6.5 GPM flow, single circuit. While that's enough flow to run the splitter "sufficiantly slow enough to be productive" the pressure is way too low. You would have a slow, about 8 ton splitter if you ran the tractor at rated RPM. You also need to check if the 3pt on the 748 will raise high enough to get the splitter frame off the ground and it has the capacity to lift it as it does stick out a bit from the link pins. (Also, make sure your 3pt arms are long enough to keep the stands legs from contacting them as they get closer to the tires as you raise the 3pt up.)

It's not cheap however since the x748 has a rear PTO you may want to look at getting a PTO hyd pump and using that to run the splitter. You'll need a tank for at least 3 or 4 gals of fluid, a PTO shaft and some welding skills. The TSC 3pt frame would make a great place to weld in a flat plate for the tank and a mount for the PTO pump. Add the hoses and a suction side filter and your good to go. I'm sure someone has done this before, look in the Hyd, projects or build it yourself forums here and use the search function.

I have run the TSC splitter on a 2520 and a 3320, both of those have enough flow and PSI to let you live with the splitter if your not in too much of a hurry. I will be making a self contained setup like above hopefully this winter.

/ Will X748 Run a 3-pt hitch log splitter
Excellent info.!

Thank you both much for your time and input!

:thumbsup: