Need buying advice on new tractor

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #1  

dntfxr

Platinum Member
Tractor
Ford, LS
I'm looking for some buying advice for a new tractor and I'm leaning JD. We just got 42 acres for homestead, livestock and hunting. I'm so excited about the property I can't hardly sleep at night! Lol! There are about 8-10 acres that are cleared and the rest is mostly wooded with small clearings and trails throughout, the land is very gently sloping with only a few very small hills. Right now I'm using my little b7100hst, awesome little tractor but the 4' shredder suddenly seems a little small. I'd like the option of FEL and grapple and at least a 5 or 6' shredder. I haven't driven any new tractors yet but on paper the 4105 and 4120 appeal to me. I know the 4120 is substantially more tractor but it is more money too. I've read up on the planetary vs spur drive, but a bigger issue for me I think would be the lack of remotes on the 4105 for the grapple. I haven't ruled out Kubota either from my experience with my little tractor which is excellent for it's size. I'm open to any suggestions on other models too, and I may do better to consider a different size tractor also. Any suggestions or thoughts on other things I haven't considered are appreciated.
Thanks
B

/ Need buying advice on new tractor
Here's a few pics of the land and some of the trails.

Attachments

• image-1342169973.jpg
    image-1342169973.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 317
  • image-917288638.png
    image-917288638.png
    631.3 KB · Views: 343
  • image-1092344508.jpg
    image-1092344508.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 304
  • image-1225492473.png
    image-1225492473.png
    787.6 KB · Views: 316
  • image-2051205502.png
    image-2051205502.png
    926.5 KB · Views: 337
   / Need buying advice on new tractor #3  
I think the 4000 series JD is a perfect match. I use my 4320 on a total of about 85 acres and it performs well with the MX-6 rotary cutter and 8ft disk. I also have a "thumb" on my FEL which comes in VERY handy :thumbsup:

I would definitely get something that has at least 1 set of rear remotes.

NICE PICS!!

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #4  
i have a 4720 cab and it's been great. i really like the cab --- keeps you cool in summer and warm in the winter. moreover, i think the bees and other flying bugs would really bother me without a cab

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #5  
dntfxr said:
Here's a few pics of the land and some of the trails.

That looks like a dream come true for many of us. Very nice looking property. Congrats!

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #6  
I would look at the 4000 series for JD and the Grand L series of Kubota...
I would stick with a larger framed compact that would give you a FEL lift capacity in the 2000# range...
Those units should pull a 6-8' brush hog with ease...

If you want more tractor for the dollar you might want to look at the MX Kubota series or 5 Series in Deere...
They are more of a utility size and have more capacities than the 4000 or L series...

You need to determine if hydrostatic drive is a must...
If so you will be limited to the 4000 or MX...
If you can live without that then the utility sizes come into play...

Thanks guys for the replies and the compliment. It really is a dream come true for us just can't wait to get my house sold and move out there! Those are some great suggestions too, I didn't realize how much tractor you can get with the 5045JD or Kubota MX4700. I'll have to give the tranny some thought, I've gotten used to the HST on the little bota. It's been a while since I've used a regular gear tractor but it used to work fine for me back when. How does the synchronized tranny like on the JD5045 do say with loader work? Is it a pain? Alot slower? How about reliability? Those 50xx Deere seem like a heck of a deal! The MX Botas too!

Well I had a chance this evening to go and sit on a few JDs. The dealer was closed so I couldn't crank or testdrive any but I still could tell alot from them. I really wanted to like the 4105 but it seems kinda cheap honestly. I didn't see and xx20s but they had a bunch of 50xxEs. They are impressive! They look like the ag Deeres I grew up around. Heavy castings, all green and steel. I know they are made in India, but do they hold up well? I actually kinda like the feel of the syncd tranny, even though it was just parked... The few things that stand out at me as a possible negative is the vertical exhaust will limit access under low limbs, probably slightly less maneuverable and I'd think it will use a good bit of fuel.
Just from reading up on the Kubotas the MX seems to compare favorably to the smaller 50xxE. Seems they only offer manual brakes though. My father-in-law has a 3940L kubota and it seems real nice too, and a little more compact the the 50e Deere but they are more money too.

Well at least I'm not in a big hurry to buy, seems like I have plenty to consider...

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #9  
Congratulations on your new dirt wherever it is. If you intend to do a lot of loader type work, the HST makes doing precision operating easier.

If you go HST, take the time to see whether you like the Deere side-by-side pedals or the Kubota treadle. Personally I like the Deere pedals better.

If you can afford it, get a cab with heat and air. The older you get the more you'll want them.

This will be a long term purchase so take your time, and choose wisely.

/ Need buying advice on new tractor #10  
Thanks for the pictures! Very nice lookin' property! :thumbsup:

Take your time... you've waited this long to invest in a good sized parcel of land - now, you can begin the work of making (or not) the kinds of changes to the land that fits the kind of tractor you'll need!

Once you've considered just what kinds of projects you'd like to get workin' on; you'll have a much better idea about the tractor and implements you can "research"!

AKfish