JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions)

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a #7 backhoe for my 790 tractor. Got a quote from my dealer which was OK, but not what I would consider a super deal. So I'm calling around just to get some ammunition to go back to my dealer with and I find a "used" hoe at another dealer. Things start to sound interesting...

I've not yet seen it but the dealer says it's never been used. A guy bought it (also for a 790) then got into some financial trouble. The dealer took it back and it has sat for about two years (outside). He thinks the bucket has been robbed off of it, but couldn't tell for the snow. He thinks it's never been registered so I may be able to get a new machine warranty on it.

He says "make me an offer" which I wasn't at all prepared to do. He throws out a number which turns out to be 25% off the base machine. I'll still need power beyond, ROPS extensions and a few other things so it's really only about 11% off assuming full price on the add ons.

My next step is to go see this thing. Realizing it's sat out for a couple of years, what should I look for? I'm beginning to feel better about it assuming I can get a warranty. I also want to make him liable for any "extras" that may be missing (brackets etc.). I would probably have him do the install just to ensure that it was all there.

So what do you guys think? Any idea what kind of offer I should start with? Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #2  
<font color="blue">"...Any idea what kind of offer I should start with?..."</font>

Rob....

Did he quote 25% off MSRP? If so, this doesn't sound like it's all that great of a deal considering it's been outside for two years, neglected, and maybe even vandalized. Some dealers are good for 20% off MSRP with new backhoes. After you inspect everything and you're still satisfied that this might be a viable purchase, I'd find out the MSRP on it and start off with 50% off MSRP as a minimum starting point. He'll either laugh at you or take you seriously at which point serious negotiations will start in earnest.

....Bob

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #3  
I have a 790 with a #7 hoe I am not impressed with the hoe at all it is a great injustice to the tractor!! I would buy and after market before I would buy another JD implement. One thing I will give you advice on is make sure that you get a warranty because the left to right cyclinders are going to leak if it has sat around that long. Lowball the dealer he can only go up but you need to start out low. I love the tractor but the implements are horrable!!!

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions)
Re: JD #7 Backhoe, I saw the used one

I went to take a look at the used #7 hoe that a local dealer had. It was a bit rougher than he lead me to believe over the phone but not scrap. It appears complete plus they have a brand new mounting kit for the 790 in the parts room. I suspect the hoe came from an older tractor. The serial number dates back to 1998. It has been used, but hard to tell how much. I couldn't check it out completely due to the way it was sitting but I did notice some rust on one stabilizer cylinder and a broken hose fitting on the same. I suspect it got knocked around or something fell on it. The fitting welded to the cylinder looked OK. There was some surface rust on the painted portion of that cylinder as well.

Now here's my dilema. I don't doubt that I could make this thing operational and he seemed pretty anxious to unload it. I could perhaps get it for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Not sure I need a tractor project right now though, I'm more interested in having the tractor available for my long list of landscaping projects.

I'll have to take a more detailed look at it if I get more serious. Given the known issues, what's involved in a bit of rust on a cylinder? Would it work after knocking it down with some steel wool?

Thanks again all /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #5  
rjp44us,

Why aren't you impressed with the #7 hoe? I have a 98 770 with a #7 and think for it's weight of the whole unit together this little hoe is pretty darn convenient when you need a little hoe. Sure isn't a full size backhoe but shoot look how big the thing is. And with the big backhoes or excavator you can operate only one joystick or operation at a time and the machien will dig... Now with this little #7 you really need to combine some fluent motions to get full capacity out of it because of it's size and power. I mean it must be a good unit for it hasn't changed by John Deere for a good number of years. Well I think it hasn't /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

But to get back on track with the original questions about the #7. To be honest if any hydraulic cylinder is sitting in the weather unprotected she will start to rust and it should clean up with very little effort IF they aren't pitted too bad so I wouldn't really be too afraid of that when considering buying it. As far as a discount for buying a used #7 I wouldn't really fight too awful hard on getting more than 25% off because I wouldn't even sell mine that is a 98 model with over 300hrs on it for less than $4,500 and I believe new are around $6500 (right?). It is always something the way the seller describes something and the expectations that we assume when looking for something isn't it. I think everyone is the same way. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Well good luck with all your though processes that you are going through.

check out my tractor loader backhoe

Darin

Attachments

• 241656-DSC00651.JPG
    241656-DSC00651.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 3,579
   / JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions)
Nice looking rig Darin, what size bucket? How long does it take to drop the hoe and put the tph back on? Is it really the five minutes that Deere says?

Thanks for the input /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #7  
RobS,

Oh boy to be honest I am not sure of the size of the bucket but I believe it's a 16". /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif And really if you want to drop the hoe it probably only takes 5 mins to remove it and then another 5 mins to put the 3pt back on. Now to put it back on is another story (for me anyway) Because I don't park it on flat ground where it would be tons easier but these quick attach are really NICE because they really are easy after doing it a couple times. Of course it's alot faster when taking anythinng off or apart than putting back together. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Darin

/ JD #7 Backhoe (and more general questions) #8  
Rob,
My dealer down here will sell you a #7 hoe for 5K. Checked with 2 different dealers and they are about the same. You never stated what they wanted for the hoe. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif