Tractor Sizing HP required for 6' bushog

/ HP required for 6' bushog #12  
For the mix of grass you mention in the OP, the Frontier RC2072 would be fine choice. Mine gives excellent cut quality, even on a lawn, at rated speed. At even 20% lower than rated speed it still does well with pasture rough-cutting on my 3038e. This tractor produces 30 PTO hp at rated speed, and seems to have more than enough power for this bushhog. Frontier says it needs 25 PTO HP minimum, and that seems right.

/ HP required for 6' bushog
Ya'll have been most generous with your replies to my post. I usually wait untill my grass gets about a foot tall (Johnson grass about 2'). I want to cut at least 5mph. The reason I wanted a 6' was to get outside my rear wheels. I have a lead on a New Holland TC 29 with 800hrs mfwd but am scared it is a little small.
Also, do ya'll know how much hp is lost, if any, when you have a hydrostat transmission over a geared one?

At present I have an 806 IH which is too big

/ HP required for 6' bushog #14  
Ya'll have been most generous with your replies to my post. I usually wait untill my grass gets about a foot tall (Johnson grass about 2'). I want to cut at least 5mph. The reason I wanted a 6' was to get outside my rear wheels. I have a lead on a New Holland TC 29 with 800hrs mfwd but am scared it is a little small.
Also, do ya'll know how much hp is lost, if any, when you have a hydrostat transmission over a geared one?

You can figure on one to two less PTO HP on an HST model. IIRC, the TC29 has around 25 PTO HP, so you'd be pushing it with a 6' cutter.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #15  

At present I have an 806 IH which is too big

Can't you rig your 3 point hitch such that a 5 ft mower is angled to one side? That way, you can mow along fences, and will have a clean cut on one side. You would first go around the outside in the direction that lets you mow close to the fence, then change directions for going around the rest of the field.

I don't yet own a bushog type mower. I may pick up a used one. I don't have a lot of land that I could use one on at present. However, when I get some trails cleaned up, I might want to use a bushog on them. While my JD4600 should handle a 6' mower, I'm thinking that a 5' unit might be fine for my use, if I can rig it to be offset to one side.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #16  
I have a JD 5103 and a model 286 (6ft) bushhog brand rotary cutter. The cutter is rather heavy and the tractor handles it great. It has been a great bushhog. The tractor is 50hp and about 42 at the pto, non-turbo.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #17  
I have a NH 3040 - with 33 HP at the PTO and I run a 6 foot Woods brush bull.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #19  
Can't you rig your 3 point hitch such that a 5 ft mower is angled to one side? That way, you can mow along fences, and will have a clean cut on one side.

I don't believe I've ever seen a cutter that could be offset to one side or a 3PH that could do that...although it would be a good idea.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #20  
I too have never seen a offset for a rotary cutter/shredder. I have seen the ones the highway department uses that are mounted on arms. But that is way outta my budget. I have a NH T1510 with a 5' Bush Hog "Squeeler 160" I've been over several 3" pine saplings and yes it is ROUGH. It will handle them slowly.... very slowly. (Tractor has about 25 hp pto/ 30 HP engine) trying to get close to fence lines is a chore. Usually just spray them early in the season with roundup. Or use a torch weeder which I can't use now because of the verrrrry verrrry dry conditions.

Best Regards

Bart