Tractor Sizing HP required for 6' bushog

/ HP required for 6' bushog #1  

rlwilliamson

Little help please. What hp do ya'll reckon is needed for a 6' three point hitch bushog cutting a mix of bermuda and johnson grass?

/ HP required for 6' bushog #2  
Little help please. What hp do ya'll reckon is needed for a 6' three point hitch bushog cutting a mix of bermuda and johnson grass?

Welcome to the forum!!! The general rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of rotary cutter. So a 6 footer calls for 30 PTO hp or better.

MarkV

/ HP required for 6' bushog #3  
More is better, but 25-28 PTO HP would do the job.
You'll also want to consider the size and weight of the cutter and tractor as part of the equation.
With just grass cutting, a light to medium duty cutter would suffice, but if you let it get high, you may have to slow your ground speed .

/ HP required for 6' bushog #4  
It depends on which model you're talking about. Also, remember that "minimum" means minimum. It won't perform to it's full potential on minimum hp. Remember to look at the weight as well. Don't get a heavier cutter than you can safely pick up! ;)

This is only from the Rhino website: (other brands will vary)
25 hp for the lightest duty 72" specs: RHINO | Single Spindle | RB Series (Utility)
55 for the super duty 72" specs: RHINO | Single Spindle | 400 Series (Super Duty)

/ HP required for 6' bushog #5  
I have a Kubota L3400 - ~30 PTO hp. I run a 5ft Woods BB60 cutter which my dealer recommended.

I asked about a 6 ft and they strongly advised against it. He was wrong (about this and other things). For the type of bush hogging I am doing - well maintained pastures - a med duty Woods BB72 (6ft) would have been a better choice and this tractor would have handled it perfectly. I find myself at a disadvantage mowing along fence lines as my bush hog is EXACTLY the width of my tractor tires. If you can, try to get one that is slightly wider.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #6  
Every 6' bush hog we've run has been behind a 40pto hp tractor. IMO, that is about the minimum if you have any heavy cutting to do. The 5hp per foot rule isn't exactly accurate when you get to the larger single spindle cutters. For example a 7' single spindle takes a lot of power, about 50hp minimum. Whereas a 8' cutter (twin spindle) only takes 40hp.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #7  
The brush cutter I have behind my JD 870 has a closed back. That means it tends to mulch more than a mower with an open back of the deck. I think my tractor is rated at 25 hp PTO. It works fine on well grazed pastures but bogs out a bit when going through roughs. If I were cutting thick fields I would need to play with wheel height and run a higher leading edge of the mower. For my little tractor a 6' mower would not be a good investment.

/ HP required for 6' bushog #8  
JimRB (or any one else with a JD 870 or similar tractor!): What are you running for a bush hog behind your JD 870? I ask because I'm in the market for a bush hog and I have the same tractor. I'm looking at a Bush Hog 295 - I know it's a bit heavy duty for my 870 but I want something that will last. I'm currently running a Caroni TM1900 flail mower behind it (that's also a bit big for my tractor but it seems to handle it ok) but need/want a bush hog to take down some (lots, actually!) 2-3" sapplings. I know a Bush Hog Squealer would be a better fit for my JD 870 (28 hp/25 PTO) but really would like the heavier duty Bush Hog 295 model. I also like the medium duty Woods BB600 but I think thats about 150 lbs. heavier then the medium duty Bush Hog 295! Normally, heavier is better but not when you're limited by your tractor size!!!

/ HP required for 6' bushog #9  
The BB600 is a BEAST! If you are looking to cut 2 to 3" stuff then keep the size down. You might even consider going to 48" if you are going to go for the heavy duty one. Ensure you have enough front weight!

/ HP required for 6' bushog #10  
JimRB (or any one else with a JD 870 or similar tractor!): What are you running for a bush hog behind your JD 870? I ask because I'm in the market for a bush hog and I have the same tractor. I'm looking at a Bush Hog 295 - I know it's a bit heavy duty for my 870 but I want something that will last. I'm currently running a Caroni TM1900 flail mower behind it (that's also a bit big for my tractor but it seems to handle it ok) but need/want a bush hog to take down some (lots, actually!) 2-3" sapplings. I know a Bush Hog Squealer would be a better fit for my JD 870 (28 hp/25 PTO) but really would like the heavier duty Bush Hog 295 model. I also like the medium duty Woods BB600 but I think thats about 150 lbs. heavier then the medium duty Bush Hog 295! Normally, heavier is better but not when you're limited by your tractor size!!!

The squealer wont handle many 2-3" saplings. The gearbox, jumper, and drive line will, but the side skirts are quite flimsy.

I cleared out a thicket of 1.5-2" pine saplings earlier this year with my SQ160, and I'm now having to weld some angle iron bracing onto the side skirts, and hammer out the bends in the rear skirt.

I've got 45pto hp and it was a struggle. I won't be using the bushhog for that type of job anymore.