Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default HP required for 6' bushog

Little help please. What hp do ya'll reckon is needed for a 6' three point hitch bushog cutting a mix of bermuda and johnson grass?

Tractor
    1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39

Default Re: HP required for 6' bushog

Quote Originally Posted by rlwilliamson View Post
    Little help please. What hp do ya'll reckon is needed for a 6' three point hitch bushog cutting a mix of bermuda and johnson grass?
    Welcome to the forum!!! The general rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per foot of rotary cutter. So a 6 footer calls for 30 PTO hp or better.

MarkV

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

More is better, but 25-28 PTO HP would do the job.
    You'll also want to consider the size and weight of the cutter and tractor as part of the equation.
    With just grass cutting, a light to medium duty cutter would suffice, but if you let it get high, you may have to slow your ground speed .
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

Tractor
    JD 5083E; JD 5085M; NH TN70A; Ford 2600

It depends on which model you're talking about. Also, remember that "minimum" means minimum. It won't perform to it's full potential on minimum hp. Remember to look at the weight as well. Don't get a heavier cutter than you can safely pick up!

This is only from the Rhino website: (other brands will vary)
    25 hp for the lightest duty 72" specs: RHINO | Single Spindle | RB Series (Utility)
    55 for the super duty 72" specs: RHINO | Single Spindle | 400 Series (Super Duty)
    '12 JD 5083E Cab MFWD FEL
    '10 JD 5085M Cab MFWD FEL
    '07 NH TN70A MFWD FEL
    '81 Ford 2600

JD 457 round baler; JD 265 & Kuhn GMD 600 disc mowers; Sitrex V-10 rake; Krone 5.52 Tedder; Hardee 10', Rhino 7', & Modern 5' rotary mowers; JD 13' & Ford 6' tandem discs; HayKing 10' rennovator plow (sub-soiler); etc, etc.
    My other tractor is a '95 Kenworth.

"I've come to the point in my life where I can't remember if I've lost my horse or just found a rope."

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded

I have a kubota L3400 - ~30 PTO hp. I run a 5ft Woods BB60 cutter which my dealer recommended.

I asked about a 6 ft and they strongly advised against it. He was wrong (about this and other things). For the type of bush hogging I am doing - well maintained pastures - a med duty Woods BB72 (6ft) would have been a better choice and this tractor would have handled it perfectly. I find myself at a disadvantage mowing along fence lines as my bush hog is EXACTLY the width of my tractor tires. If you can, try to get one that is slightly wider.
    Current: Kubota M7040 cab, hydraulic shuttle, Kubota M20 loader (made by ALO), LandPride RCR1872 rotary cutter, Horst bale spears & forks, Woods HB72 box blade, Kodiak 7' rake, Walco cultivator, chain harrow, Meteor 74" pull style blower

Traded: Kubota L3400, LA473 HST (300 hrs), and various attachments

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3200, Ford NAA, IH 454D, Case 1845C

Every 6' bush hog we've run has been behind a 40pto hp tractor. IMO, that is about the minimum if you have any heavy cutting to do. The 5hp per foot rule isn't exactly accurate when you get to the larger single spindle cutters. For example a 7' single spindle takes a lot of power, about 50hp minimum. Whereas a 8' cutter (twin spindle) only takes 40hp.
    Kubota B3200
    Ford NAA Jubilee
    International 454D
    Case 1845C skid steer
    JD 265

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    JD 870

The brush cutter I have behind my JD 870 has a closed back. That means it tends to mulch more than a mower with an open back of the deck. I think my tractor is rated at 25 hp PTO. It works fine on well grazed pastures but bogs out a bit when going through roughs. If I were cutting thick fields I would need to play with wheel height and run a higher leading edge of the mower. For my little tractor a 6' mower would not be a good investment.

JimRB (or any one else with a JD 870 or similar tractor!): What are you running for a bush hog behind your JD 870? I ask because I'm in the market for a bush hog and I have the same tractor. I'm looking at a Bush Hog 295 - I know it's a bit heavy duty for my 870 but I want something that will last. I'm currently running a Caroni TM1900 flail mower behind it (that's also a bit big for my tractor but it seems to handle it ok) but need/want a bush hog to take down some (lots, actually!) 2-3" sapplings. I know a Bush Hog Squealer would be a better fit for my JD 870 (28 hp/25 PTO) but really would like the heavier duty Bush Hog 295 model. I also like the medium duty Woods BB600 but I think thats about 150 lbs. heavier then the medium duty Bush Hog 295! Normally, heavier is better but not when you're limited by your tractor size!!!

Tractor
    Kubota M7040 cab/hyd shuttle - current, Kubota L3400 - traded

The BB600 is a BEAST! If you are looking to cut 2 to 3" stuff then keep the size down. You might even consider going to 48" if you are going to go for the heavy duty one. Ensure you have enough front weight!
    Current: Kubota M7040 cab, hydraulic shuttle, Kubota M20 loader (made by ALO), LandPride RCR1872 rotary cutter, Horst bale spears & forks, Woods HB72 box blade, Kodiak 7' rake, Walco cultivator, chain harrow, Meteor 74" pull style blower

Traded: Kubota L3400, LA473 HST (300 hrs), and various attachments

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Rusty junk

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey007 View Post
    JimRB (or any one else with a JD 870 or similar tractor!): What are you running for a bush hog behind your JD 870? I ask because I'm in the market for a bush hog and I have the same tractor. I'm looking at a Bush Hog 295 - I know it's a bit heavy duty for my 870 but I want something that will last. I'm currently running a Caroni TM1900 flail mower behind it (that's also a bit big for my tractor but it seems to handle it ok) but need/want a bush hog to take down some (lots, actually!) 2-3" sapplings. I know a Bush Hog Squealer would be a better fit for my JD 870 (28 hp/25 PTO) but really would like the heavier duty Bush Hog 295 model. I also like the medium duty Woods BB600 but I think thats about 150 lbs. heavier then the medium duty Bush Hog 295! Normally, heavier is better but not when you're limited by your tractor size!!!
    The squealer wont handle many 2-3" saplings. The gearbox, jumper, and drive line will, but the side skirts are quite flimsy.

I cleared out a thicket of 1.5-2" pine saplings earlier this year with my SQ160, and I'm now having to weld some angle iron bracing onto the side skirts, and hammer out the bends in the rear skirt.

I've got 45pto hp and it was a struggle. I won't be using the bushhog for that type of job anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast