Snow plow

/ Snow plow #1  

fuseboxer

Silver Member
Tractor
two john deere Sabres (2554-Scotts) and 4410 john deere ,Allis Chalmers WD , 5' Cub Cadet Zero turn
While looking for a good used 5' tiller for the 3pt on my 4410 JD I came across a man with an old snow blade that would quick attach to my 300cx loader for 400. It does not have hydro cyl but can be angled and secured with a pin. The unit was made, weldment, from a rear tractor blade years ago. Seller found a new low price blade that is a taller snow blade with a quick attach for a deere. It is set and made for a cylinder. I see three low priced older Meijer snow blades on craigslist that with some steel and welding could be quick attached to my 300cx/ 4410 Deere. Is it too heavy and too much strain for a 300cx arms? One is a few hundred more and is newer and made out of polyproplene or the newer plastic, Lexan? A lot of old truck blades are out there. What works best, cheepest, and least destructive to the 300cx? I have yet to go one winter with the use of a front bucket being used as a blade. Maybe that is all I need along with the 7' rear blade I now own.

/ Snow plow #2  
Have you considered a blower? That may be a better solution for Michigan.

/ Snow plow
I have a large snow blower in the barn that is self contained and self propelled but the wife will not use it.---fuseboxer

/ Snow plow #4  
I was referring to a blower that is an attachment for your tractor. A 4410 will easily handle either a front or rear type. The problem with a blade is that snow will pile up to the point that you can't push it.

/ Snow plow
If i got a snow blower for the front of my tractor it would not be cost effective for 300' of drive and a 50 x 50 pad in front of the barn. ---fuseboxer

/ Snow plow #6  
Oh okay you didn't say how much area you need to clear. IMO the CX300 FEL is plenty strong enough to handle a blade. One that can be angled hydraulically would be essential.

/ Snow plow
One that can be angled hydraulically would be essential.[/QUOTE]

With four hydraulic lines two for the up and down of the bucket and two for up and down of the arms. Is it possible to use the two lines not being used with the bucket removed to angle the blade left and right? Several other posts today indicated failure with front blades claiming he was pushing a little and then was stuck going nowhere. Maybe he has R4 tires and not R1. I have R4. Thanks for the info that the arms will take the stress. A larger heavier tractor with R1 tires is probably Necessary I do not know. ------Fuseboxer

/ Snow plow #9  
I was referring to a blower that is an attachment for your tractor. A 4410 will easily handle either a front or rear type. The problem with a blade is that snow will pile up to the point that you can't push it.

That's when it's a good idea to mount the blade to a QA frame...so you can swap out between the blade and bucket easily.

With a 300' drive and a 50' by 50' parking pad, even a manually rotated blade would be OK...not that much work involved.

/ Snow plow #10  
Might just consider a high volume materials bucket if it's just your own drive you need to maintain. that's what I did and it made a huge difference over the standard bucket, being wider and higher capacity. Plus the bigger bucket is great for yard clean up etc.

I have since rigged up a frame mounted plow that requires removal of the loader, works great for me, but I'm doing several driveways and parking areas, so it's faster. But I do have to mount the loader to move the piles back after a few big snows.

JB