Box blade for a 2305

/ Box blade for a 2305
Well, I talked to the guy today, he has a Cimarron 48" BB, not a Bush Hog. It's in a locked yard and the owner was not able to get there today but I went and looked through the fence. Couldn't get a very good look, but I believe it's a hinged back model which I don't want. Looked nice enough though, it is green anyway. He was going to call Monday with specs but it looks like I may be back to the Frontier.

/ Box blade for a 2305 #22  
The 2305 will pull a 2048 BB. I did it with one I was trying. The limited Cat one hitch lifts the BB high enough unless you are working in really irregular terrain. I think you would be happy with the BB, Frontier quality is tough to beat, though they are generally made by Woods and Befco.

John M

/ Box blade for a 2305 #23  
Well, I talked to the guy today, he has a Cimarron 48" BB, not a Bush Hog. It's in a locked yard and the owner was not able to get there today but I went and looked through the fence. Couldn't get a very good look, but I believe it's a hinged back model which I don't want. Looked nice enough though, it is green anyway. He was going to call Monday with specs but it looks like I may be back to the Frontier.

Here is a link to the Cimarron boxblades Cimarron Box Blade Specifications

If you don't like the hinged rear blade you can bolt it in place. I prefer hinged rear blades but don't know anything about this brand.

/ Box blade for a 2305
Here is a link to the Cimarron boxblades Cimarron Box Blade Specifications

If you don't like the hinged rear blade you can bolt it in place. I prefer hinged rear blades but don't know anything about this brand.

Thank you! I have just started reading threads about the fixed vs. hinged rear blade. I'm just working in dirt. What's the difference, would I be better suited with a fixed or hinged? Looks like the 48" Cimearron hinged back is just over 400 lbs. Any insight as to hinged or fixed and why would be appreciated.
Thanks again!
Steve

/ Box blade for a 2305 #25  
I prefer the hinged rear blade for two reasons, first it will allow you to cut more easily in forward movement because the rear blade can fold up and away. The other thing is with fine grading it tends to float along and feathers the dirt to a smooth finish.

Some people prefer to have the blades fixed because they often drag the blade with the front tilted up slightly. If I was going to do that I would rather float the front bucket. Others may have a better explanation as to why they prefer a fixed blade design.

The Cammond boxblade I have is fixed and was what my dealer had available at the time. It is well built for my purposes which is for touchup work where I can't fit the 4520 and 7' boxblade. It is about 100 lbs lighter than the Cimarron boxblades shown above. All of the boxblades you are considering are heavy enough for the 2305 imo.

/ Box blade for a 2305
I prefer the hinged rear blade for two reasons, first it will allow you to cut more easily in forward movement because the rear blade can fold up and away. The other thing is with fine grading it tends to float along and feathers the dirt to a smooth finish.

Some people prefer to have the blades fixed because they often drag the blade with the front tilted up slightly. If I was going to do that I would rather float the front bucket. Others may have a better explanation as to why they prefer a fixed blade design.

The Cammond boxblade I have is fixed and was what my dealer had available at the time. It is well built for my purposes which is for touchup work where I can't fit the 4520 and 7' boxblade. It is about 100 lbs lighter than the Cimarron boxblades shown above. All of the boxblades you are considering are heavy enough for the 2305 imo.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate your help. I seem to be getting more conflicted the more I research. I think the problem is that I'm having a hard time actually getting a look at one. If the floating rear blade would be suitable for my application, I would probably buy the Cimarron. I will be adding some fill to the sides of a "ravine" area on my property for better drainage. I will be cutting out some to even-up the drainage area and adding and compacting fill on places on the sides. It has always been a marsh with standing water and with the dry weather it is finally workable. I have already done some work and already drains better. It has just enough drop over about 150' for drainage. I'm essentially trying to get a nice "bowl" with no low spots and a gradual downward slope. The area of the ravine is about 20' wide, more or less in areas.

I was going to add a french drain, but don't have a good drain point. Thought about a dry well to help and may still do that. Anyway, I want to turn the marsh into a lawn area. I also have woods going up the hillsides. I plan to clear areas there and plant some grass. I have also contemplated re-grading parts of or all of my yard in time, in sections of course. I have a lot (relatively) of lawn.

The adjacent lot we bought with the ravine area also has a nice flat grassy area in front for the kids to play. The problem with that area is that it was never properly finish graded. I need to decide whether I want to completely regrade or just fill the low spots over time. So... in short, I will be moving/finish grading dirt, working some in the woods and maybe ripping up the existing turf to re-grade. Sorry to ramble and thanks again.

Steve

/ Box blade for a 2305 #27  
I have a Howse BB that I found in the classifieds early this spring. 2305 pulls it pretty easy but definitely knows it's working when it's coming back up the hill with a full box of gravel. Sounds like you need the thing right away which is too bad, I know those things are expensive new!

/ Box blade for a 2305 #28  
Hink,
I would suggest whichever one you can get for the best price on and if the price is better on the Cimarron I would buy it. With a 2305 I would consider adding a hydraulic top link if you can swing it, I suspect this will be as important to have as anything as it will allow you more finite control of the rear cutting edges. I am fixing to add this to my x749.

About your project sounds like alot of work for you to do so better get started.:) You will need lots of seattime for this imo.

/ Box blade for a 2305 #29  
I would probably just buy the Frontier which is probably made by Woods as was mentioned, and get using that thing! I've found that practice, and then a bit of practice makes more difference than brand until you get into tractors like Steve has that can easily destroy an inferior BB. I keep the RPM low, and really enjoy using mine. I am thinking about a hydraulic top link, but have had lots of fun without it too. I guess I feel that if you can't get something for half the price of what I like, and can easily get that I might as well just do it. I've only had my BB 3 -4 years, and I don't have a clue what I paid for it now since it is no longer important.