Box blade for a 2305

/ Box blade for a 2305 #1  

hink10

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2305
Hey guys,
I am looking to buy a box blade for my 2305. I have done a bunch of research and it seems the 48" blade would be best suited for the 2305. I am looking at a couple, the Countyline at TSC. It's about a 45 min. drive to my nearest TSC. Also looking at a United at Everything Attachments. Any suggestions? Called on a Frontier at our local JD dealer, would have to order and gave me a price of $883!
Thanks!
Steve

/ Box blade for a 2305 #2  
I had a 4010 (18 hp, similar to the 2305) a couple of years ago. A 48" bb worked perfect. It stuck our just an inch or two past the tires. If it got a full bite it would overpower the tractor. You won't be undergunned with a 48" bb for sure.

/ Box blade for a 2305 #3  
I have a 2320 with a frontier 2048 on it and it is definitely big enough for the size/hp of the tractor. You wouldn't want to go any bigger unless you're using it without the rippers engaged + using it to spread loose material or removing the rippers & using it for snow removal.

Again, depending on your intended usage, I have found the TSC type stuff to be ok for light-medium duty jobs.

On craigslist I see a lot of better quality, as well as TSC, box blades cheap! I would've definitely bought a used one from CL if I didn't get my 2048 as part of my tractor package.

Good luck.

/ Box blade for a 2305 #4  
Hi Steve,
A 48" box blade is just right for the 2305. I have a King Kutter which worked great on my 2305. What are you getting one for? Mine sits a lot, more than all the other attachments, but I know everyone's needs are different.

/ Box blade for a 2305 #5  
Agree that 48" is a good match. Frontier used to make a Box Blade for limited cat 1 tracters (BB2048L).
Since the 2305 can't lift as high as bigger tractors, make sure the Box Blade isn't too tall.
I think mine weighs about 300 lbs. and I sometimes add 160 lbs. of weights to get a little better "bite" or to add ballast.

/ Box blade for a 2305
Hi Steve,
A 48" box blade is just right for the 2305. I have a King Kutter which worked great on my 2305. What are you getting one for? Mine sits a lot, more than all the other attachments, but I know everyone's needs are different.

You are probably right to go 48", but Landpride makes a 54" that I'm thinking about. The only reason for a 54" is that I plan to add wheel spacers to allow room for tire chains (I have the BH subframe). I am getting the BB for a large project involving a ravine on my property, need to add a bunch of dirt and grade the area for better drainage. I also have areas of my yard that I want to improve in the future, I have about 1.5 acres and a bunch of projects. I have an injured back so manual labor is becoming difficult at best.

That being said, yeah, it may just take up space someday. If that's the case I'll sell it. At any rate, I'm not looking to take big bites of hard soil, in general I'll be moving loose soil. I do have a lot of clay in the soil, but as I said, won't be digging in too much. I can use the loader and BH if I need to.

The cat1 Landpride weighs in at around 400 lbs. They also have a scut model that is smaller and lighter. I may go to the Landpride dealer and have a talk . They also rent equipment, I may see if they have a 60" I can try just to get an idea, I know thats too much for the 2305 but it should give me an idea of what to expect. I don't think they have a 54" or 48" for rental.

I did think about the Frontier but when my dealer gave me the price of $883 I decided against it. I am going to call another dealer as I'm not so impressed with mine, I know I can get a better price.

BTW, how far off the ground can you get your King Kutter in the raised position and how tall is the box? Will a quick hitch give me any additional height?

Thanks!
Steve

/ Box blade for a 2305 #7  
Sorry, I can't answer the height question since my 2305 is gone and I've yet to pull the box blade out of the back of the pile:)

Regarding the quick hitch, no, I don't think it will help since the drag arms are directly in line with the two lower clips on the quick hitch. You might be able to get a little more tilt angle, but no more lift, I don't think.

The 54" sounds risky for my own personal limits, but if you do get one, be sure to revisit this thread and let folks know how it works for you!

/ Box blade for a 2305 #8  
I have a Cammond 48" boxblade for my x749 and it is IMatch compatible too. Lots of dealers carry this line as it is a little cheaper than the Frontier branded stuff. I think Cammond makes a 54" model also.

Just checked on Cammond's website, I have the BB48 which is 300 lbs, and there is a BB54 which is 325 lbs. I wouldn't think either would be a problem for you as I think the x749 could handle the slight increase in width.

/ Box blade for a 2305
Okay, I'm narrowing it down. I went to my Deere dealer and got a price of $730 for the Frontier 2048L, the lighter version for the SCUT. It has 3 scarifiers and weighs about 275 lbs. I also went to a Landpride dealer. Got a price of $749 for a 54" (BB0554), also the model for the SCUT. It weighs about 300 lbs and has 4 scarifiers as does the Landpride BB0548, the 48" model.

As I believe I said before, thinking about wheel spacers as I have a BH subframe and will use chains in the winter so the 54" would cover my tracks in that case. I think the Frontier and Landpride I have talked about are as big/heavy as I should go according to all the feedback I have received thus far. I am having the Landpride dealer see how long it will take to get a green BB. At This time, I'm thinking the Landpride. Also I understand the full size boxes would not allow much ground clearance with the limited cat1. Any final input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

/ Box blade for a 2305 #10  
I wouldn't think the x749 has more capability to lift higher than a 2305 and I use a full sized 48" boxblade with plenty of lift.