1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #1  

OldMan

Tractor
John Deere 3520 (Sold this last fall, pending purchase of a 1026R)
Well after a three month wait, my 1026R has finally arrived, will be delivered Monday, they were setting it up today but I got to drive it for a few minutes. As this is the first 1026R I have ever seen I will try and give you my first impression: (some comments are based upon comparison between my uncles 2210 and the 1026R)

Larger than what I had expected!

Not as plastic as I had been lead to believe based on some comments on this and other forums. Yes, the hood could be stiffer but don't see this as a major concern, open and closed with ease! I don't drive with it up anyway!

Typical John Deere quality, gear shift is smooth and precise, engine runs extremely smooth. The seat and tilt steering are leaps ahead of the 2210. Tilt function is a lot easier to operate than the tilt was on my 3520. Tried some close circle turns, this thing will turn on a dime, can't wait to see how this translates in turning around my trees. Transmission was precise and extremely smooth, no jerking going from forward to reverse and back again.

The 7-Iron deck is something else, once installed on the tractor there is not much room underneath. For those anticipating buying the 60 7-Iron would recommend the auto-connect, the drive shaft can be connected but it is extremely tight. One thing I noticed is how close the rear tires are to the deck, can't be much more than and inch of clearance between the tire and deck.

Auto-connect, this is slick, just make sure it is set up properly also tell your dealer to save the set up instructions.

Sorry for this being so long, its been a long wait and wanted you to know my first impression. I'll post more as I become familiar with the tractor (both good and bad), and oh yes "Pictures" coming in the next few days.

OldMan

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #2  
Hope this works out for you and would be very interested in follow ups as you get to use the machine.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
   / 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #3  
Congratulations. I, for one and I'm sure everyone else will agree,that your beginning description was neither too long or boring. When the majority of US purchase a BRAND NEW tractor, we all are so proud and happy about our purchase. After all, your purchase involved a large investment in both TIME and MONEY. Here's wishing YOU the best of life, and many enjoyable hours of SEAT TIME. Congratulations and Happy Tractoring.:tractor:

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #4  
Congrats you have waited quite a long time for your 1026R. Glad to read that your first impressions were good :thumbsup:.

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #5  
....on my 3520. .......
The 7-Iron deck is something else, once installed on the tractor there is not much room underneath. ......... For those anticipating buying the 60 7-Iron would recommend the auto-connect, the drive shaft can be connected but it is extremely tight. One thing I noticed is how close the rear tires are to the deck, can't be much more than and inch of clearance between the tire and deck.

I take it that you didn't have a MMM on the JD3520 ?
There's a 3000twenty thread on the AutoConnect ; looks really good !
( I'll find the link .... ) here ; http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/145886-new-jd-3520-shes-beauty-5.html
Did you get turf or industrial tyres on the 1026?

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #6  
Here's my first thought while reading your posting: if people think the plastic hood on a 1026R seems like a step backward for Deere in terms of quality, then compare it to an older model tractor that consistently gets rave reviews by the Deere believers (that would include me): the 425. Man does the hood on my new-to-me 425 seem like it'll break off if I open it in a slight breeze!! My point: don't let others influence your impressions of your own purchase. I think they have a hit on their hands and one that will be around for many years to come. As for the clearance between tire and fender, I don't think any more is necessary... it's not like there's any travel in the rear axle.

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #7  
I must say I was impressed with the 1026 at the farm progress show. I would think you would be very pleased with the unit.

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #8  
Oldman, I've had my 1026r with the 60d autoconnect deck for a little over a month now. I haven't had any issues with the clearance between the deck and rear tires and I've mowed some hilly/uneven terrain. You're gonna have a blast when yours comes in.

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression
I take it that you didn't have a MMM on the JD3520 ?
There's a 3000twenty thread on the AutoConnect ; looks really good !
( I'll find the link .... ) here ; http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/john-deere-owning-operating/145886-new-jd-3520-shes-beauty-5.html
Did you get turf or industrial tyres on the 1026?

No, I didn't have a MMM on the 3520, was using a 72" RFM, at the time I was mowing approximately 7 acres a week, now I have only my place (3 acres) to mow.

I got the R-4 tires, had R-4s on my 3520 and I had no problem with them and saw no reason to change with the 1026R.

In my initial comments one thing I forgot to mention was a statement by the technician who was sitting my tractor up, "He told me to always place the PTO selector in the REAR PTO position when connecting and disconnecting the deck, he said this allows the mid PTO to spin freely and allows the male/female splines to free wheel and mesh."

OldMan

/ 1026R Has Finally Arrived, First Impression #10  
I'd heard there were problems with the autoconnect deck scooting away on a concrete floor, any issues there? I think the main advantage (for me) would be the ability to drop or install the deck inside the single garage stall where I would keep the tractor - something I cannot do with the current side-slide deck.