Need help deciding 3032e/2520

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #1  

Grants351

Hey all, I'm trying to decide what tractor I would like. I have decided between the 3032e and the 2520. It will come with an FEL, and no other attachments at this time. I have 4 acres, small driveway to maintain, large garden and various other things to maintain. I will do my mowing with my 455D. Here's the scoop....my uncle is a JD salesman, so some of these prices might seem crazy. He says he will sell the 3032e for $14300 OTD with FEL, and the 2520 w FEL for $15100 OTD. I know the price is excellent, just need help deciding what I want. Just for sake of anonominity, I wont say what dealer or salesman!

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #2  
It sounds like many of the things that differentiate these two tractors are not a concern for you right at the moment, but I would think down the road a bit. For instance, if you plan to add attachments and what they might be, or if you would stop using the 455 to mow with.

I have a 2520, I bought it for the convenience that tractor offers and the versatility of doing many different jobs where I need to change the configuration to suit the task. I also bought it for the primary task of mowing 3.5 acres, which it does in far less time than what I had before, and using far less fuel.

Once you buy either of these tractors, you are going to find other uses for it than what you thought of initially. For the difference in price, I like the 2520 because of the features. You didn't say if the loader on the 2520 was a 200CX, which easily comes off, or the 200X which takes a great deal more effort to detach. That could also be a factor for you.

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520
Yeah the 2520 is quoted with a 200CX. The 3032e is quoted with the 305 loader. the 305 doesnt detach quickly( or at all, he is looking into a detach kit.) Obviously I will eventually get a tiller, subsoiler/midddle buster, box blade, and maybe a rear flail mower. I guess I'm not sure the real differences between the two tractors, besides horsepower. I know the frames are different, anyone care to explain some diffs?

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #4  
Would steering brakes make a difference in your garden? The 2520 has them while the 3032e does not. Either of these two would be plenty of tractor for four acres.

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #5  
Basically, the 3032e is the economy end of the 3000 series. While it is slightly larger than the 2520, it lacks some of the features that are present in the smaller tractor. The 3032e doesn't support mid-mount mowers or a backhoe. It has a fixed ROPS, and an FEL that doesn't come off. I'm sure there are other small differences, but you should check the list of attachments in the sales literature and compare what ones are compatible with each tractor. You may find that while neither is large enough for a flail mower, there are many other mowing options for either one.

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #6  
Just be sure to get a ballast box with either machine you choose, that is on "attachment" you will need now to use the loader properly and safely.

I don't see your two choices as comparing apples to apples...you really need to look down the road a little.

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #7  
If you are planning on doing ground engaging tasks in the future, consider the potential differences in total weight between the two (with & without filling the tires) and the impact that would have on getting traction ...

Nick

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #8  
The 3032e would seem to have some advantages for what you propose to do. 20% more operating torque/25% more PTO hp would help with the flail or tiller; availability of R1 tires would help a good deal with the subsoiler, middle buster or boxblade.

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #9  
Hiya,

2520 all the way. The E series is just that, economy. You lose a lot of features like turning brakes, mid pto, quick park loader, folding rops, the ability for front mount impments, frame mount loader control.

Ask your uncle why Deere came out with the E series, it's to compete with the people that come in right after looking at Kubota, Cub Cadet, Bobcat/Kioti standard series tractors and the dealers can show that to them and have a price point match. The 3032 is very close to being the Cub Cadet/Yanmar EX3200 painted green.

My 2 cents,

Tom

BTW, before you make up your mind, try out a 3320, it will cause you to forget all about the 3032 and most likely the 2520 as well. ;)

/ Need help deciding 3032e/2520 #10  
I have one SIL that owns a 3032 and another that just bought a 2720. Both have loaders. Both have a 5' box blade. One bought a front mount snow blower for the 2720 and plans for a flail mower(?). The other has a 5' rotary cutter and plans for a rear mounted snow blower. Good plans for all of the equipment they will use. Still....they have slightly different needs and implements.

These are both light tractors and have similar HP. To me the larger size of the 3032 makes it a bit better at handleing 3 point implements and for doing ground engaging work. There is more room in the operating station if your a big guy.

The 2520 / 2720 is great for PTO uses and is a bit more nimble and lots more freindly with a front snow-blower and mid mount mower. To me, things seem quite light-duty if you used it in timber....or apply any level of abusive treatment. The 2000 class seems more at home on a lawn.

I agree that a 3320 is in a whole 'nother class....but that is not the question here.....and that model gets much more expensive (about 8k - that buys allot of implements ;)) for homeowner use.

I think you need to focus on the implements you want to use to make a good choice here. They are both good tractors.