Choice of 318s.

/ Choice of 318s. #1  

smartguyz

Gold Member
Tractor
JD318, Power-Trac PT425 with scuffed-up green paint.
Hello Forum members,

I have decided to try and buy a used John Deere 318 tractor. I am trying to decide between two that I have located. I would love if you would render an opinion.

Choice 1:
1987 model, 690 hours, 50" deck, currently being repaired, with a new alternator being put in. Estimated price: $2400.

Choice 2: 1992 model, 210 hours, 50" deck, Estimated price: $3500.

There's an $1100 difference there. What do you guys think?

Sincerely,

Rob

/ Choice of 318s. #2  
Rob, I don't see how anyone could give you a valid answer without seeing the two, or at least knowing a lot more than just the age and hours. How much difference is there in the appearance, the sound of the engines, the "feel" of each when operating it, is there more wear in the steering linkages on one than the other, any sign of oil or fuel leaks, etc., etc.

/ Choice of 318s. #3  
What's the overall feelings about the 318s around here? I'm about to begin looking at some myself (having decided that I'm not too thrilled about the price points of the current closest equivalent). Anything specific to look out for or avoid? What's usually the first areas to give out on older/higher hour units?

/ Choice of 318s. #4  
The 318's are great machines, well built, nice aux hydraulics for this size/catergory tractor. These are machines made with real cast iron! If you can find one in nice shape for a decent price you won't be sorry.

/ Choice of 318s. #5  
What's too much to pay? Haven't gotten to the dealer's lots yet but I see numbers running from maybe $1,800 up to over $4,000. Seems like a little better condition goes a long way to higher cost.

Are the later electronic ignition versions better or worse (reliability / parts availability)?

Also while they're probably as scarce as hen's teeth so it's probably academic - are the Yanmar-diesel 332 versions particularly troublesome or anything? On paper that one sounds like the crown jewel in a little garden tractor.

/ Choice of 318s. #6  
318's are great tractor's. I have a 318 along with my '59 730 Diesel and the 4110 I recently bought. My JD tractor trifecta. 318's are great lawn tractors and easily handle most gardening chores. I have the 42" Hydraulic tiller which is a slick unit. I see prices all over the board around here for 318's. $1500 for rebuilders to $3300-4000 for choice low hour or newly rebuilt units.

/ Choice of 318s. #7  
Rob,

I bought a new 1987 JD 318 many years ago. I traded it in on a Kubota BX2200 in March of 2002. It had the 50" mower deck, 54" all hydraulic front push blade, 75lb. wheel weights & tire chains. The Kubota dealer gave me $2200.00 on trade for the works. I have no idea what he asked for it when he put it up for sale. I always had good luck with it and best of all I found that the John Deere dealer almost always had any parts I needed in stock. It has power steering which is good because the Hydrostatic transmission is controlled with a lever to the right side of the steering wheel. So you will find yourself steering with your left hand while controlling your speed and direction with your right hand. I found that installing a spinner steering knob helped me a lot. The 318 does not have differential lock but it does have two brake peddles for operating the rear breaks independently. If one wheel spins you can lock it with the break to cause the power to be transferred to the other wheel. That's not as effective as a differential lock but it can help. There is a locking lever to lock the two brake peddles together. You can make tighter turns using one brake but it will tear up your turf doing it. The Onan P218 18hp gas engine is about as dependable as they get. It's the same engine that is in the 20hp JD 420 with a different carburetor. Onan makes high dollar dependable generators for motor homes and other use. Make sure you change the motor oil and filter every 50 hours. It has a automotive type paper air filter with a sponge prefilter around it. You need to clean the prefilter with soap and warm water and once it is dry put some motor oil on it and squish it in your hands to distribute the oil over the entire prefilter. You should change the paper filter at least once a year and more often if used in dusty conditions. Do not use air pressure to clean debris off of the engine. The carburetor has a waxy type plug in the side of it that you can blow out with air pressure. If this happens it will run real bad. Don't ask how I know. The 318 is a very well built garden tractor. Parts are still readily available and I thought reasonably priced. I never had any problems with the drive train what so ever. All in all the JD 318 is a great machine. If it has been taken care of and you continue to take care of it I'm sure it still has many more years left in it. I used mine for 13 years and I used it summer and winter the whole time. Other than cleaning the carburetor once I never had to do anything to the engine. It took the BX2200 to get me out of the saddle. If not for that I would probably still be mowing my lawn this summer on the 318. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Choice of 318s. #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Also while they're probably as scarce as hen's teeth so it's probably academic - are the Yanmar-diesel 332 versions particularly troublesome or anything? On paper that one sounds like the crown jewel in a little garden tractor. )</font>

Ahh yes, the 332. Scarce - yes!
When I first moved to my property 5 years ago, I started out with a little 214 (all I could afford at the time). I did lots of reading on many forums since, and started yearning for the elusive 332. I work at a highway department where everything is diesel, and it got in my blood. I've had 3xx and 4xx series tractors before, and thought the 3xx series in a diesel would be perfect.
Once in a while i stop by my JD dealer to visit and see what's new. I always check the "bone yard" (used section) on my way past looking for that 332. Always lots of 318's etc. While in visiting, I happened to mention talking about 332's in the forums. Dave (the dealer) starts to smile. He says, "c'mon, take a little ride with me". In his truck we go, up the road a 1/4 mile to a warehouse where the other branch sells the heavy equipment. He opens up a door, and there it is. A bit rough around the edges and a little rusty here and there. The history of the tractor was originally owned by a cemetery. When traded in, was sold to a homeowner where it was repossessed for non payment a year later. It had been sitting for over a year outside in the elements. He said the motor was tight so they re-did the head.
Anyway, we made the deal (and a good one). The owner came out while I was buying it and told Dave to paint the whole tractor.
I just love my 332. But....I've been seriously thinking about trading up to a 2210. If I do the upgrade, I'll sure miss my little 332. I'm still tearing myself up in making my decision.

Sorry for the rant - Not to often is the 332 mentioned anywhere!

/ Choice of 318s. #10  
Yeah! We need a picture.

(and if you DO decide to move "up" and part with the 332 - you'll let us here know first... right?) /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif