Green fever again

/ Green fever again #1  

prosperity

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 2520
I've got the fever again!
I just looked at my profile here at tractorbynet - the last time I was here was August 2000. Then it hit me - that's when I had the 'fever' the last time!
Anyway, went to my dealer today just to look around. By the way, I will be replacing my 332. So, I'm looking at the X series (X485). I use my machine for mowing 4 acres, and snow removal for 800' of driveway. Being that I haven't had a problem plowing snow (northern Pennsylvania) with the 2 wheel drive, I feel that 4WD isn't a necessity. My man Dave say's "boy, I don't know about plowing your drive with 2WD.
Anyway, he steers me right over to the 2210. Tells me that it's actually a better deal than the 'x' machines being that it's standard 4wd, diesel, with rear PTO & 3 point. I'm telling him that I don't need all that stuff anymore.
Now, at home later, I'm thinking he may be right. Someday I might want a loader. Also, if I'm making this purchase, I'm going to be keeping the tractor for a long time. 4wd sure would be nice. And, I was going to get away from the diesel, but I know the longevity and resale of the diesel is much better.
So, I came here and have been reading lots of posts about the 2210. Looks like everyone is generally pleased with the machine. I just feel it might be over kill for what I need.
I guess what I'm asking is: I am overkilling this for the mowing and plowing with the 2210? Then when I look at the numbers, I will only be paying about $1400 more and get 4wd, diesel, rear pto, and 3 point.
Any opinions?

/ Green fever again #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any opinions? )</font>

Of course, we always have plenty of opinions. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif And personally, I'd go for the 4WD, diesel, rear PTO, and 3-point hitch, and I'd definitely get the front end loader to start with.

/ Green fever again
Actually, I wasn't even entertaining the idea of a loader yet. Figured I'd just start out with a belly mower and front blade. I don't really have the need for a loader right now, but I would at least have the option to add it later with the 2210.

/ Green fever again #4  
249809-JD%202210%20Sub-compact%20tractor-505.jpg

<font color="green">Any opinions?... </font>

Hey... you only go through life once...

Wouldn't that 2210 be a great worker on your property...? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 249809-JD 2210 Sub-compact tractor-505.jpg
    249809-JD 2210 Sub-compact tractor-505.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 209
   / Green fever again
Oh man!!!
You had to post that photo, didn't you.
I'll have green and yellow dreams tonight!

/ Green fever again #6  
it can be a tuff decision. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif i also looked at the x485 and x495. but after doing a lot of checking and reading on this website. i found out that the gas units like to guzzle gas. one guy had made a comment about one tank in about 3-4 hrs of mowing,( thats 6.5 gal. of fuel each mowing). it sounds like you have alot of mowing to do. the x495 is a nice unit, being a diesle. but if you want to add a the 3pt hitch or pto option. then you have more in the x495 than what the 2210 cost with a 62c mmm. and it comes with a 3pt hitch and pto stock and 4 wheel drive, it also has a real 3pt hitch. not a class 0 like the x class does. i purchased the 2210 about a week or so ago. i love it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif it turns very sharp and runs very smooth. good luck in making your decision. i drove my wife nuts until i finally bought the 2210 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Green fever again
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( i drove my wife nuts until i finally bought the 2210 /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif )</font>

Funny you should say that - my wife just came into the computer room and said "tractor stuff again, huh?". I don't know if it makes it harder or not when she says "hey, go for it if you want - you only live once". Weird huh?

Anyway, thanks for the comments. After looking around in this forum, I see that most have gone with the 2210 vs. the (x) series. I'm think I'm seeing a pattern here. Also, my dealer has never steered me wrong in the past. He knows my property and what I expect of a machine. Just trying to talk myself into it I guess.

One other question - I looked up the 2210 on the deere site. When I pulled up the attachments, it shows on the grid that only the 54c mower is available for the 2210 - not the 62c. That really bothers me as if I do this upgrade I definitely want the 62c. I see on the forum here that lots of folks got the 62c. I wonder why this is? Has anyone had power problems running the 62c under the 2210?

/ Green fever again #8  
One of the salesmen I do business with said the introduction of the 2210 makes selling a bit harder because the good price of the 2210 and its features introduce a bigger gray area between the slightly smaller features of the x series on the one hand and the only slightly larger features of the 4x10 series on the other side. Prior to the 2210, there was a clearer delineation between the smaller and larger, so easier to give answers to buyers questions. I have a JD4300 and a 445, so I am real happy with both. If I had to pick one, I would likely go with the 2210. Glad I don't have to pick.

The comment about gas going through the 445, is true, but in 3-4 hours, I can easily mow 8 acres of lawn with the 445 and a 54" mower deck. I usually don't do it straight through but break the time up over a couple days. They are mowin' machines, for sure. Not too long and we'll get to get back at it it, which I like. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Green fever again #9  
<font color="green">I have the 62" MMM and for the small amount of time that I have used it I have never been under powered. The only time that the engine pulled down was when I hit a large (30" fire ant bed) and then for only just for a couple of seconds.
I only have approx. 4 hours on mine but have used the box blade and FEL to level my yard. Mowing has used up a couple of hours. According to the fuel gage I have only used 1/2 tank of diesel.
The machine has ran great.
The cost was less than a BX200 in my area.
</font>

/ Green fever again
Thanks for all your input folks - it really helps.
Now, my only problem is that for the next two weeks I have to work overtime every day. I won't be able to get back out to my dealer until Saturday to check out the 2210 some more. It will probably drive me nuts in the meantime.

Another point I noticed on the deere site is that the financing offers are better on the 2210 vs. the (x).

(x) = 5.9 revolving

2210 =
0.0-36 months
2.9-48
3.9-60
4.9-72
5.9-84

That's another incentive for me to go toward the 2210. Unfortunately I don't have 10k-12k laying around right now!