Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48
  1. #11
    Elite Member WilliamBos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    4,486
    Location
    Innisfil, Ontario, Canada
    Tractor
    MF 1635 12x12 Powershuttle

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by Paystar View Post
    No offense to anyone, but that is what I mean jenkinsph.....you said you do landscaping jobs for a living. I just don't understand why every time a homeowner asks about a scut, everyone has to tell them to go bigger than what they need. And we all see how that goes....want a 2305 get a 2320, but get 2520 because it is so close, but then you might as well get a 2720, but why not a 3720...........
    and the a 5M, then a 6R, then a .....
    Thanks,

    Will


    I do not care if someone's net nanny is watching!! You need to stop...

  2. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,392
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by Paystar View Post
    No offense to anyone, but that is what I mean jenkinsph.....you said you do landscaping jobs for a living. I just don't understand why every time a homeowner asks about a scut, everyone has to tell them to go bigger than what they need. And we all see how that goes....want a 2305 get a 2320, but get 2520 because it is so close, but then you might as well get a 2720, but why not a 3720...........


    I can't see where you are going with this? I was recommending that the garden tractor was all he needed long term. I have an x749 lawnmower/garden tractor and prefer it to the 1026R.

  3. #13
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by Paystar View Post
    No offense to anyone, but that is what I mean jenkinsph.....you said you do landscaping jobs for a living. I just don't understand why every time a homeowner asks about a scut, everyone has to tell them to go bigger than what they need. And we all see how that goes....want a 2305 get a 2320, but get 2520 because it is so close, but then you might as well get a 2720, but why not a 3720...........
    The market is set this way on purpose. "Just a little more tractor" is always "just a little more money away" It's how these manufacturers make money. In all reality, it makes no sense how John Deere has 2320, 2520, and 2720's, just like 3320, 3520, 3720, and the 4320, 4520, 4720. Why have so many identical tractors with only one difference in almost all cases, HP. Offer the 2720, 3720, and 4720 and call it good.

    Personally, you have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't purchase a 2720 because at this point, your almost paying the same price as a 3320. 2520 is a good sweet spot with a lot of machine for the price. A 3x20 series will do everything a 4x20 will do, just slower, and with a smaller footprint. Unless you live on a 20 acre property or larger, and you maintain all 20 acres of it, anything larger than a 3x20 series is just wasteful, but that is just my view on it.

    The perfect tractor that will mow, but yet have some muscle with a front end loader or attachment, is the 2520, OR the 2720 if you want to spend more cash on the same size frame. These machines are great bang for the buck, but small enough to fit into almost anywhere, and light enough to go on some soft ground without creating a pipe trench.

  4. #14
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    220
    Location
    Connecticut

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    XSKIER, I have a 2320 and love it. I've operated large excavators, real loaders and occasionally borrow 14,000 - 23,000 pound backhoes when I really need one, but the 2320 does most of what I need each week. From what you describe, I suspect a 2320 or 2520 will likely meet your needs at an affordable price. The 1026r may also do so, it's the cleanup work you mention that has me thinking a little bigger.

    At the end of the day, you need to decide machine size against financial outlay. Paraphrasing Paystar's comments, there are now so many models from each of the major manufacturers that you can keep upgrading for just another two grand or so between models and then find you're considering a monster machine for more money that you can afford. It's like upgrading your computer, TV, or camera: there will be a new model with advanced features every three months or so. And you'll keep getting more for your money as each model comes out. Trouble is, if you keep waiting, you'll never get a computer, TV, or camera.

    It's the same with tractors. Select one that will meet your needs, buy it, and get to work to accomplish your intended tasks. There's always something a little better, but there's also work to be done and money to save.

  5. #15
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    220
    Location
    Connecticut

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Sorry JDTank. By the time I finished typing in my comments and clicked the SUBMIT POST button, you had already said almost the same thing. Are you clairvoyant or something?

  6. #16
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by JDTank View Post
    The market is set this way on purpose. "Just a little more tractor" is always "just a little more money away" It's how these manufacturers make money. In all reality, it makes no sense how John Deere has 2320, 2520, and 2720's, just like 3320, 3520, 3720, and the 4320, 4520, 4720. Why have so many identical tractors with only one difference in almost all cases, HP. Offer the 2720, 3720, and 4720 and call it good.

    Personally, you have to draw the line somewhere. I wouldn't purchase a 2720 because at this point, your almost paying the same price as a 3320. 2520 is a good sweet spot with a lot of machine for the price. A 3x20 series will do everything a 4x20 will do, just slower, and with a smaller footprint. Unless you live on a 20 acre property or larger, and you maintain all 20 acres of it, anything larger than a 3x20 series is just wasteful, but that is just my view on it.

    The perfect tractor that will mow, but yet have some muscle with a front end loader or attachment, is the 2520, OR the 2720 if you want to spend more cash on the same size frame. These machines are great bang for the buck, but small enough to fit into almost anywhere, and light enough to go on some soft ground without creating a pipe trench.
    There are lots of things a 4xxx series will do that a 2xxx, 3xxx won't. You want to talk about lift capacity in the loader just for a start. You can get a lot more power. By going by your theory eventually we'll end up at the John Deere 9560R that is 550HP. The pyramids of Egypt were built with no machinery at all, so do any of us NEED a tractor at all. No. We can do everything with our hands going back to the caveman days. The reason they have all the series is so everyone can spend what they want for their uses. A 4xxx will run a lot more 3PH accessories because of the extra PTO HP that the 3xxx can't. Also will run bigger items. But then that goes back to the question of should we be outside with scissors cutting 10 acres of lawn or do we want a nice flail mower for the back of our 4520 with a cab and air conditioning. Point being all are "wasteful" in your terms. We can do everything without these beautiful machines, just more time-consuming. And for you theory of acres, what if I owned 20 acres of california red woods that I wanted to clear with my 3xxx. You think a 4xxx will do that your crazy. Were talking millions in super heavy duty logging equipment for my 20 acres. The thousands in-between each hundred increment (3320-3520) is a big difference and if you can do what you need with a 3320 why spend 2000 more? Anything over a 3x20 is definitely not wasteful. My father-in-law has a 2001 JD 5410 on his 20 acre horse farm for the one reason that he has large square bales brought in and he couldn't lift them with the 3x20's period and the 3x20's don't offer self leveling and wouldn't lift them to the height he needed in his barn. For that one reason he had to get a much bigger tractor. He stacks them 5-6 bales high and can lift 3 bales at a time. a 3x20 would struggle with one as they weigh close to 2000#. Point being that they sell all the series for a reason and that people need larger tractors for different uses and they are not a "waste"

  7. #17
    Platinum Member JDTank's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by MartianTractorMan View Post
    There are lots of things a 4xxx series will do that a 2xxx, 3xxx won't. You want to talk about lift capacity in the loader just for a start. You can get a lot more power. By going by your theory eventually we'll end up at the John Deere 9560R that is 550HP. The pyramids of Egypt were built with no machinery at all, so do any of us NEED a tractor at all. No. We can do everything with our hands going back to the caveman days. The reason they have all the series is so everyone can spend what they want for their uses. A 4xxx will run a lot more 3PH accessories because of the extra PTO HP that the 3xxx can't. Also will run bigger items. But then that goes back to the question of should we be outside with scissors cutting 10 acres of lawn or do we want a nice flail mower for the back of our 4520 with a cab and air conditioning. Point being all are "wasteful" in your terms. We can do everything without these beautiful machines, just more time-consuming. And for you theory of acres, what if I owned 20 acres of california red woods that I wanted to clear with my 3xxx. You think a 4xxx will do that your crazy. Were talking millions in super heavy duty logging equipment for my 20 acres. The thousands in-between each hundred increment (3320-3520) is a big difference and if you can do what you need with a 3320 why spend 2000 more? Anything over a 3x20 is definitely not wasteful. My father-in-law has a 2001 JD 5410 on his 20 acre horse farm for the one reason that he has large square bales brought in and he couldn't lift them with the 3x20's period and the 3x20's don't offer self leveling and wouldn't lift them to the height he needed in his barn. For that one reason he had to get a much bigger tractor. He stacks them 5-6 bales high and can lift 3 bales at a time. a 3x20 would struggle with one as they weigh close to 2000#. Point being that they sell all the series for a reason and that people need larger tractors for different uses and they are not a "waste"
    I was speaking from a general sense, not picking at details. Of course one property of 20 acres could be completely different from another. I understand where your coming from.

    This person is trying to decide between a 1026R and a 2x20 series...there is no need to even bring 3x20 or 4x20 into this equation, they are a complete waste for his needs.

    I disagree with you on one point, we as a society, do not need so many choices, it's plain stupid and wasteful of resources and time. A good example is the difference between a 4520, and a 4720. You know what you get for $2,000 more? 6 HP! That is it. You will not convince me that you can feel the difference between 60 HP, and 66HP. There is no need to have so many choices. They should offer the highest HP model at the lowest price tag (example: 4720 for the 4120 price tag) They would still make money by far. These tractors are hugely overpriced, and the $2,000 jump up to the next model is probably 80% profit.

    It's like the SE seat people buy for X7xx series. That seat is what $500, for a SEAT! It likely costs about $30 to produce.

    As much as one needs to remember what they need to do with a tractor when they are shopping, you need to remember what you don't need to do with that tractor. Always ask yourself, once all of my bigger projects are done, will I need a machine of this size? Right now, I could use a 3x20 series to tackle my big projects. It would certainly do better than a 2x20 series for the big stuff. However, once my few big projects are done, that 3x20 would become useless. Why? 60% of the time, I will be mowing, and 100% of my property can fit a 2x20 series, but not a 3x20 series. Not necessarily by dimensions alone, but weight as well.

    I don't mean to say that a 3x20 or 4x20 is useless overall, of course not. If you do not need to move bales, or push/haul large amounts of material around, or do heavy ground engagement work, it does not make sense to go big. Get the most amount of tractor you feel you need right now, and the most tractor you know you can use for sure after the big projects are complete.

    heck, the money I am going to save by going with the 2x20 series over the 3x20 series, as well as smaller implements, will take me and the misses on a vacation!

  8. #18
    Platinum Member tomd999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    633
    Location
    Viva Manchvegas!
    Tractor
    '10 3320 cab

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Hiya,

    Going back to the OP's question, I would suggest a step up to the 2320 or the 2520 from the 1026. The 1026 is just an updated version of the 2305 with it's limited cat 1 hitch and I think it still has that plastic cooling fan for the transaxle.

    With the 23 or 2520's you also get bigger tires for a better ride, better hydro, higher lift capacity on the loader and 3pt and a larger operator station. The downside is slightly higher cost.

    I have used a 2520 as a lawnmower, can honestly say it does a very good job in that role and as a small loader, it will does even more than the book says it will.

    My 2 cents

    Tom
    Big and little Green tractors, Orange tractors and one awesome brown dog.

    "Congelo nos opus, quantum punitor ingravesco"

    "Behold, like the wild azz in the desert, go I forth to my work"

  9. #19
    Gold Member BethesdaEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    448
    Location
    Ellicott City, MD
    Tractor
    JD 2520

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by tomd999 View Post
    Hiya,

    Going back to the OP's question, I would suggest a step up to the 2320 or the 2520 from the 1026. The 1026 is just an updated version of the 2305 with it's limited cat 1 hitch and I think it still has that plastic cooling fan for the transaxle.

    With the 23 or 2520's you also get bigger tires for a better ride, better hydro, higher lift capacity on the loader and 3pt and a larger operator station. The downside is slightly higher cost.

    I have used a 2520 as a lawnmower, can honestly say it does a very good job in that role and as a small loader, it will does even more than the book says it will.

    My 2 cents

    Tom
    No the 1026r has an honest transmission cooler unlike the 2305 and the kubota BX series. The point about the limited CAT1 hitch is a good one. The 2520 has a metal hood and fenders and a very substantial build overall.
    JD 2520 with 200CX, 46BH, BB1060 box blade and 54 front blade, Artillian forks, IMD 10K generator, Wallenstein BX42r
    Bob Cat FastCat Pro 48

  10. #20
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    9,392
    Location
    somewhere usa
    Tractor
    Deere 110tlb, 4520, x749, L130

    Default Re: 1026r vs. 2520

    Quote Originally Posted by JDTank View Post

    This person is trying to decide between a 1026R and a 2x20 series...there is no need to even bring 3x20 or 4x20 into this equation, they are a complete waste for his needs.

    Always ask yourself, once all of my bigger projects are done, will I need a machine of this size? Right now, I could use a 3x20 series to tackle my big projects. It would certainly do better than a 2x20 series for the big stuff. However, once my few big projects are done, that 3x20 would become useless. Why? 60% of the time, I will be mowing, and 100% of my property can fit a 2x20 series, but not a 3x20 series. Not necessarily by dimensions alone, but weight as well.

    !

    The OP brought this into the equation when he referenced renting a skidsteer to level out his dirt piles. About the 3z20 and 4x20 being a complete waste for his needs, depends on what his needs are. If he needs to open up some areas for a larger lawn the larger tlb's and tractors will be much more efficient at stumping and grading. I recommend he RENT them, might be a skidsteer, backhoe or larger tractor depending on his needs.


    As far as what he needs when the larger jobs are done is a lawnmower/garden tractor. No need for a 2520, especially one ballasted to work safely with a fel. An x749 for maintaining the lawn areas with steep grades would work well but doesn't have the fel option. With hdap tires and about 8 to 10psi in the tires the x749 will damage the lawn areas less than the 2520.

    Having several different sized tractors I have a good idea of what all of these sizes are capable of, there isn't a one size fits all answer. That said the 2520 may be a perfect fit for your needs and hope it works out well for you.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2520 & 72" MMM - Mower Blade Change
    By larry8818 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
  2. My New 2520 (w/pics)
    By revitupfaster in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 09-02-2010, 11:59 AM
  3. 2520 First Service & Questions
    By larry8818 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-02-2009, 06:21 AM
  4. Ready to pulled the trigger on the 2520 but
    By hodoms in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
  5. 2520 REVEALED!!
    By Dutch445 in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 10-10-2005, 10:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.