1026r vs. 2520

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #21  
I cannot think of a time during the year when I could "wait" for a tractor to be ordered. If by ordering, one means a three day fetch from stock somewhere, that's fine. But, if by ordering one means a 3 month wait, my mind gets confused. Old age creepin' in on me maybe.

If indeed there is so little difference between an XXa, XXb, or XXc, I would ask which tractor I could get delivered by Tuesday. :)

That's just me.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #22  
Hi All,

It sounds to me that between the two machines, Xskier would be happier with the 2520.

However, I am fearful of his mention of steep hills. I wouldn't want to mow my steep hills with my 2520 but my 2305 was very good with this. Also, I would second Jenksfsh's mention of the 2720 due to the steep hills. My 2520 lugs on them, possibly due to having a 1000 lb backhoe mounted. Still, the 2520 is a far more capable machine for all tasks other than mowing than the sub.

When I was comparing the 2305, 2320, 2520, & 2720 a few years ago, the cost delta was about $2000 jump from one model to the next with a few attachments included.

I look forward to hearing about your choice Xskier!

/ 1026r vs. 2520
The yard I have going now is about perfect for the 425. Just the right size to squeak by in every area. That said, I can't fit a larger machine in most of the yard around the house. So, I would be looking for a capable riding mower for those parts. I'm confident the 2520 just won't do for this area, but it could handle the steep hills with a flail mower (already have). I would like to keep the price close to where I'm at now, and I'm pretty sure it means no MMM for the 2520. In the next few months I should be able to find a 48" rider for $500 or so.

One thing that has stuck with me on this issue is that it takes a pretty nice rider to handle steep areas. The "R" should handle cutting every blade of grass around here with either the MMM or flail.

Now just wait and see what pricing is like for a 2520...

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #24  
I'd stick with the 1026R and have "one" tractor to store and maintain, that will do everything you said you need to do. And use the extra money you saved for implements.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #25  
I was in this position a year ago, I was looking @ a 2305 and a 2320. I ended up going with the 2320. In my eyes, the 2320 was much more tractor(for LESS money due to rebates @ that time). I grew up on a Cub Cadet 982 and got used to having individual brakes. IMHO the only difference between the 2305/1026r and the 982 is the MFWD on the 2305/1026r with the 2305/1026r losing the individual brakes. I probably would have been fine with the SCUTS but not having individual brakes was a big disadvantage in my mind. The 2320 is the smallest Deere with them. The 2320 is a bit overkill for my property but I have not been disappointed with it. I am actually surprised with the capabilities of the 2320. That being said I would love to have a 3520 but I absolutely don't need anything that big. if I ever get to that point, the 2320 will be staying as my mowing rig and the 3520 will do everything else.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #26  
The problem with having different sized tractors for different sized tasks is money, and maintenance. Buying a $7,000 riding mower, than a $17,000 2520, and a $35,000 4520 for the big stuff, is a huge chunk of change. I imagine very few of us on this board could afford that now, if ever.

The annoyance in buying a riding mower, and a CUT, is it is another engine to maintain. If you have chainsaws, weed eaters, walk behind mowers, before you know it your up to eyeballs in spark plugs and air filters.

The other annoyance is when you go to fill your gas can up, you need 2 now, diesel and gas.

Granted, 75% of the time, it really does not work for certain situations to have 1 machine that can do everything. For me, I am lucky, and a 2520/2720 will do everything I need including mowing. It is one engine to keep fueled up and the oil changed in, not 6 different engines.

However, if I won the lottery, I would gladly give myself about 20 engines to maintain. :D

/ 1026r vs. 2520
I too grew up on a 982 used for mowing and snow blade duty. I never even noticed the split brakes, so not that big of a deal to me. However, I used them on the '53 Allis CA all the time for plow, disc, and drag duty.

The numbers are in:

17,500: 1026r FEL, MMM, snowplow
18,650: 2520 FEL
I would still need to come up with a rear blade for snow and a lawn tractor for around the house.

When asked the same question, another suggested that it takes quite a lawn tractor to deal with slopes. That is likely something that would require substantial investment ($2000+)

As of this moment I'm leaning towards the 1026, but may be influenced if I have to go another week or two tractorless.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #28  
I too grew up on a 982 used for mowing and snow blade duty. I never even noticed the split brakes, so not that big of a deal to me. However, I used them on the '53 Allis CA all the time for plow, disc, and drag duty.

The numbers are in:

17,500: 1026r FEL, MMM, snowplow
18,650: 2520 FEL
I would still need to come up with a rear blade for snow and a lawn tractor for around the house.

When asked the same question, another suggested that it takes quite a lawn tractor to deal with slopes. That is likely something that would require substantial investment ($2000+)

As of this moment I'm leaning towards the 1026, but may be influenced if I have to go another week or two tractorless.

I would stick with the 1026r. I think it may surprise you with its abilities. 18500 sounds like a bit much for the 2520, when I was looking 3 years ago it seemed to be closer to 16, not for sure though. As long as your not trying to move your house three feet in one direction the 1026r will get the job done, it will just take a little longer. To have a all in one machine for $1000 less is a better deal to me though. Plus you would need another 5-600 for a back blade. Unless you plan to do a lot more than just mow and plow, which both will do equally well, go with the 1026r.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #29  
No offense to anyone, but that is what I mean jenkinsph.....you said you do landscaping jobs for a living. I just don't understand why every time a homeowner asks about a scut, everyone has to tell them to go bigger than what they need. And we all see how that goes....want a 2305 get a 2320, but get 2520 because it is so close, but then you might as well get a 2720, but why not a 3720...........:laughing:
I've said the same thing, many times. If you don't need it why buy it.

/ 1026r vs. 2520 #30  
Any way they would let you at least try one on your hills to see if it would suit you? Can't remember who said it but ,"Ive never heard anyone say man I wish I had less power".