Most important hydraulic functions in the 110

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #1  

Martian

Elite Member
Tractor
Deere
So I've convinced myself that I will be getting a 110 over a full size TLB and keeping my tractor but as I look I can't find ANY with ALL the hydro options. So my question is which ones would you find most important. I saw one with both the fel remote and the remote on the bh but didn't have the 3 aux. Not a big deal but it's about $7000 over my budget and 1500 miles away - so it's not much of an option.

What I'm finding most is either NO hydro options or the fel mounted remote but no bh remote or no fel remote but a remote on the bh. I've seen i think one with the 7 scv functions but A: it sold (that's the one I was originally looking at) and B: it didn't have the remote on the bh.

So what remotes would you want most? I can see how both would be useful but which would you want more as I can't seem to find one with both.

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #2  
I have both aux hydraulics on my 110. Have a 4 in 1 and grapple for the front and thumb in the back. I cant imagine spending the amount of money on this machine without either.

Recently I had the front aux freeze up. After 2 months back and forth with Deere and the dealer it cost $2000 and a new valve body to fix it. Picked it up from dealer, drove home, and within 20 minutes of work it started acting up again so looks like I will be going back to the dealer. So be aware.

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #3  
I use mine on both ends - a bunch! It'd be a pain to not have one or the other...

BUT.... it makes a difference in what/how you expect to use the machine. What are the major purposes for buying the tractor in the first place.

If your major concerns were having a backhoe. Or you wanted a loader tractor with a grapple function.

If I had to place a priority on the most important type of work to tackle with my 110 it would be the backhoe... and having a thumb. I'd be able to get along without the 3rd SCV function on the loader -- and I could just as well do everything I needed to do with the standard 3pt hitch configuration. I wouldn't need the optional rear SCV's (3).

So, I'd be looking for a machine with the 7th hoe function and/or the thumb. And, of course the 3pt hardware - lower side links and top link and drawbar (that's optional, too).

AKfish

Curious about Fergy's experience with his FEL SCV, too. Was the problem with the electric diverter or the valve body? If it was a defective valve body; I'd have to think that other hyd functions would have experienced problems as well. Boom and curl functions, too.

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110
I use mine on both ends - a bunch! It'd be a pain to not have one or the other...

BUT.... it makes a difference in what/how you expect to use the machine. What are the major purposes for buying the tractor in the first place.

If your major concerns were having a backhoe. Or you wanted a loader tractor with a grapple function.

If I had to place a priority on the most important type of work to tackle with my 110 it would be the backhoe... and having a thumb. I'd be able to get along without the 3rd SCV function on the loader -- and I could just as well do everything I needed to do with the standard 3pt hitch configuration. I wouldn't need the optional rear SCV's (3).

So, I'd be looking for a machine with the 7th hoe function and/or the thumb. And, of course the 3pt hardware - lower side links and top link and drawbar (that's optional, too).

AKfish

Curious about Fergy's experience with his FEL SCV, too. Was the problem with the electric diverter or the valve body? If it was a defective valve body; I'd have to think that other hyd functions would have experienced problems as well. Boom and curl functions, too.

Interesting about your troubles with the hydraulics. Here is one of the machines I was looking at:
2005 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

Same thing here has hydraulics on the FEL but not the BH:
2004 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

This one has the hydraulics on the FEL but not the BH.

Another that has the hydraulics on the BH but not the FEL:
2002 DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

And this one has NO hydraulics
DEERE 110 Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

I definitely like the looks of the first better but I don't know if I'd use a thumb or a 4 in 1 bucket/grapple more. What do you use more on your 110? I'm leading towards the first just because its the closest, appears to be in pretty good shape, but if you think I'd use a thumb more than a grapple I would go toward the third one. The last one is pretty much off the list, just for comparison cause it doesn't have any hydraulics and its the most expensive.

So if you were given the option of these... which would you take with the hydraulic options?

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #5  
I don't know how you're planning to use your tractor... you should have a pretty good idea of that!

If you're not real clear about what/how the tractor will fit your present needs and your future projects -- maybe you should sit back awhile and let things "percolate"!

I needed to clear lot's of trees and stumps - still have some to take care of - for small pastures and hay fields. So, the backhoe with thumb is a primary use for me. I've been burning most of the cleared trees, etc. So, the grapple is nice and has saved me lot's of time moving and piling trees, brush, stumps. But, I've also moved and stacked alot of that material with the thumb.

As far as digging up stumps; the root grapple is next to worthless on large stumps and root wads, however. Couldn't get them outta the ground without that hoe and thumb!

That's a "deal maker - deal breaker" for me..

AKfish

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #6  
I liked the last 110 - Michigan - the best. The '05 and '04 both looked to be well used... and the '02 is/was a rental machine. The tires were a bit sketchy and you'll be lookin' for new rears soon on that '05.

You might find that the 16" bucket on the '02 to be marginal for thumb use. I had an 18" before and now have a 20" hoe bucket. The 18" is OK, but I really like the 20" better as it provides a wider base upon which a log, rock, etc. can lay on under thumb pressure.

'Course of the 5 machines - I'd be most interested in the Montana tractor. Of all 5; I'd pay a premium for that one!

Ask if they're the original owner. Repair and maintainence histories - if available. Get the Serial# numbers and talk real nice to your local JD shop foreman and see if he can look up any repair history. Ask for more pics and look for the usual leaky cylinders and rod scratches. Also, look at the loader and backhoe valve bodies or ask if they're leaking. With 2,000 hours and work at a construction company or cement plant/quarry - it's about time that the cylinders and valve bodies will be gettin' tired and leak down will be more prevalent.

Most of the machines did not have rear lights, no belly pan and the stabilizer shields. Those are fairly important - IMO. You can buy those and add later (although the belly pan will be expensive to buy and ship; ~160lbs). I paid $850 for it new.

Front bucket for the last machine will likely run ~$1,000 with replaceable cutting edge. And that would be for a good used one!

Lastly; and I can't say this enough... you get what you pay for -- and pay for what you want!!! Personally, I can't afford to "spend" my way outta mistakes! So, I do the best I can to buy what I want the 1st time!

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #7  
I would get cash ready in hand and then keep up a search till I found one with all the hydraulic options. I wouldn't want mine any other way.

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #8  
If I had to give up one or the other, I would keep the extra hydraulics on the FEL and think about a mechanical thumb for the hoe. This is much less convenient than a hydraulic thumb, but still a workable way to go.

If you get the hydraulics for the thumb, there is no mechanical grapple...

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #9  
You can always add remotes, won't be "factory" or look as good but they still would be fully functional.

/ Most important hydraulic functions in the 110 #10  
If I had to give up one or the other, I would keep the extra hydraulics on the FEL and think about a mechanical thumb for the hoe. This is much less convenient than a hydraulic thumb, but still a workable way to go.

If you get the hydraulics for the thumb, there is no mechanical grapple...

Very good solution! Especially given that finding a 110 with ALL the hydraulic options might be just short of impossible!

AKfish