John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not!

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #1  

bamit

Hello forum members,
I have a JD 455 two wheel steer and recently discovered the older model JD 400. I have to say I really like the looks of the 400 much better. Kinda got me thinking on selling mine and purchasing a 400. I'm mostly into the looks anyway as long as I can cut a few acres weekly with out any problems. What do you guys think about the two mowers. All I really know is that one is diesel and has foot control compared to gas and dash mount control. Thanks,

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #2  
I would stick with the 455 just because it is easier to get parts and attachments for. But if you like the 400, I think you will also like the 430. If you ever heard one working with a moldboard plow, tiller or some other quiet tool, you just may agree with me at it being the sexist garden tractor out there.

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #3  
the 400 was built in the late 70's and the attachments are proprietary to that model and may be hard to come by. It had a 2 cyl Kohler I believe. A solid, heavy tractor though. It was John Deere's answer to the Farmall Cub lowboy.

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #4  
I had a 455 and a 420. I had each one for a few years. My wife like the size and the controls of the 420. That was her favorite and still is. Me, I liked the 455. I liked the controls and even though it is a little smaller it has a lot more power.

I think the attachments for the 455 will work even in today's tractors, but I'm not sure. The 455's were powder painted and held up very well where the 420's paint job was terrible. Always rusting.

Today, I don't really care for the 455 so I traded up, but it is still a better choice than a 400. Once you go diesel though for power and fuel consumption, you probably won't go back to gas.

455 it is.

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #5  
I would consider the 400 a step backwards from the 455. The 400 is a bit of an odd-ball and as mentioned, parts and attachments would be harder to find. It would also have a smaller audience if you decide to sell in the future.

If you like the looks of the 400 and that's your primary concern look for a 430 or 420. The have the same "real" tractor look and are well supported. There are probably some folks with a 430 that would jump at the chance to trade for a decent 455!

BTW, I had a 455 for a few years and traded it off...A choice I regret every time I mow!

Good luck!

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not!
Thanks for all the replies, you guys are great!

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #7  
I like the 400. To me it's one of the best garden tractors JD ever made. It was the pride of the LG line from 1975 to 1982. The 420,430 are basically the same tractor with newer electronics and a diesel engine(430). It's not that much of an oddball really. You can find plenty of attachments to fit it. Any cat."0" 2000rpm rear attachments will work. That goes for the 420 and the 430 as they also run the rear pto through a shaft from the front. It wasn't untill JD came out with the 425-445-455 series that they switched to 540 rpm rear pto. I also like the rounded tractor style rear fenders of the 400 over the squared off deck of that on the 420 and 430. If you decide to go with a 400, I think you will be happy with it. Honestly, I believe all of the 400 series from the mid 70's till late 80's were the best looking LG tractors JD ever made. Just my 2cents.....

/ John Deere 455 or 400 -- Close or Not! #8  
Hello, This is my 1st post and thought i would chime in for a bit. While i do not actually have a 455 but rather a 445 comparing the 2 is rather hard being they are 2 entirely different machines built in different eras. I also have a JD 1976 400 originally bought by my father in 1976. The 400 is a tank and can be a good tractor forever if maintained. And while everyday maintenance parts are available at the dealers those hard to find parts can be located on ebay and numerous online sites. I have several attachments for my 400 including the mower, tiller, front blade and log splitter that hooks up to the front end. I did have the snow blower for it but sold it several years ago and trying to locate another along with a front end loader. Back in 2006 the original K series engine blew and at the time the only engine available was Honda 20 hp so i had no other choice but to swap it out as the dealers in my area did not want to touch a machine that old. Thanks.