Tractor Sizing JD Decision - What size do I need??

/ JD Decision - What size do I need?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I need help figuring out what size JD I need. I raise horses on a 10 acre ranch. I use a tractor for mowing, grading, working up the riding arena (8 ft disk or drag), unloading pallets of shavings (approx. 1000lbs) and moving and stacking 1000+ lb round bales. Right now I borrow tractor for the heavy work.
I'm looking at a new 4710 with loader (24K), a used 5210 with loader (18k, 300hrs), or a new 5105 with loader (21K). I like the size, manueverbility and 4 wheel drive of the 4710, but am concerned that it isn't heavy enough to do what I want. I'm sure the 5210 and 5105 are heavy enough, but they are a bigger tractor and some of the work I do is in tight quarters.
Help!!

/ JD Decision - What size do I need?? #2  
I would suggest you work with your Deere dealer, and see if you can use or "demonstrate" the 4710. It would be the more comfortable of the two different sizes, and I think would handle the loads you want to handle.

/ JD Decision - What size do I need?? #3  
If the bales are close to 1000lbs. the 4710 should do a good job. You will have to be very careful, but that is the case no matter what. But, I would agree that you should work closely with your dealer.

With the things that come with horse management, there are lots of things that a smaller tractor can handle that a big one won't. When you mention hay, most folks are immediately thinking about a hay operation. You probably won't be raising your own hay on 10 acres...

Some other things to think about:

Is your ground level where you'll be working them? Makes as huge differance working with that much weight.

Proper ballasting. I have seen smaller tractors do well, when properly ballasted.

Can you use smaller bales. (right at 1000lbs., not 1400lbs.) Most people want as much on a bale as will go, but I have been able to get smaller bales. You might be paying slightly more for the hay, but the safety can be worth it...

Read the manuals carefully. There are lots of pointers in the Deere manuals about handling bales.

460 Loader Manual
4000TEN Manuals

/ JD Decision - What size do I need?? #4  
This thread might be better off in the brand specific JD Buying/Pricing forum or even in the JD Owning/Operating forum here since you're already decided on a Deere. You might find more Deere people there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ JD Decision - What size do I need?? #5  
<font color="red"> WOW! </font> I wish I could get this kind of response at home. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif