1023/1026 a good choice?

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #11  
[QUOTE
As you stated, not really needing snow removal equipment very much,IMO,you may end up disappointed using either one of these attachments. They really aren't designed for snow duty,especially the box blade. The loader......eh,I used it my first year because that is all I had,but now I have a snow plow,and oh man, night and day difference. [/QUOTE]

Here here......one of the reasons I went for the 2520 was to hopefully be able to plow snow, without having to use chains. I have the R4 tires on mine, which have stiffer sidewalls, and a more aggressive tread, that make them better for FEL work, although a lot of folks didn't seem all that impressed with the winter tration ability of the R4.

I originally had the JD 54" and quickhitch blade setup on my X495, and of course had to use chains. When I bought the 2520, I upgraded the quickhitch to fit the 2520, and on the advice of this forum, purchased the ballast box for added winter traction. WOW.....with that loaded ballast box attached, I mostly plow my 300' driveway without even using 4wd. My drive is pretty much flat, but the 2520, JD quicktatch blade and BB can certainly handle any snow we get, and here in southern Ontario Canada, we usually get our share.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with Greg, the blade is far better than the loader for snow removal. Being able to angle the thing to either side sure lets you push the stuff anywhere you want without having to make multiple runs at different approach angles. So if you are thinking of bundling a few attachments in the deal, the front blade would be something I would think about.

I can't comment on the 2520/3005 question, not really sure of what the differences are. There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion on that model as to how it stacks up to the 2320/2520/2720 series.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Rev

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #13  
Neither the 1023 nor the 1026 is a garden tractor.

John M

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #14  
I didn't see any PTO work listed in your question so the 1023 would be the better of the two. But if you think a snow blower would ever be in your future I would go up to the 1026. Both of these are what some may call
'lawnmowers on steroids". I think that is a good description. They do best at mowing and can do some lite tractor work occasionally, in the yard. When a lawnmower leaves the yard, bad things start happening at a more frequent rate.

You may be better off moving up to the 2520. It is more of a big mower/lite tractor. Much better suited for doing the chores you listed.

Just wondering LBrown which one of those is considered a garden tractor?
DevilDog

Neither the 1023 nor the 1026 is a garden tractor.

John M
This 'lawnmowers on steroids". usually refers to
a Garden Tractor not a sub compact.

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #15  
S219, If i were you I would look at the 2520 as well as the 3005 and 3E tractors. I also have the experience with buying to small, my Yanmar is 16 hp, has more torque than a sub-compact but it lacks the power to do what I want. In my case, I am in the process of selling it to upgrade to a skid steer loader which I feel will better suit the work I need to accomplish. In your posts you mentioned some pretty big tasks. The 1000 series tractors don't have the capacities, ground clearance, or capabilities that the 2000 and 3000 series tractors do. I got the chance to try out a 1023E at the dealer right after they got their first one in and comparing that to the 2000 and 3000 series tractors I have had experience on was night and day. Just my :2cents:

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #16  
s219,
I have done a little "light duty skidding" with my 2210, have dragged entire small trees, and a 25 year old dead birch tree which was pretty impressive. However I find my Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup will do more pulling on dry ground. You may consider a 2000 series tractor for raw pulling power. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the 1023 would impress you but the bigger the machine the easier - and less scary- the pulling, not to mention a heavier machine = better traction. Skidding even small trees traction may be an issue.

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #17  
I'm sure the bigger tractors will do better here. More weight, bigger tires, and sitting higher will allow for bigger tree pulling. I have pulled 15ft sections of 30" diameter trees across 20% grades with my old 2305 with loaded R4s and a heavy implement on the 3pt (max weight). I tore up the lawn *grin*, but it worked. I was pulling from the hitch plate with 20ft of chain choked on the tree section. I'm figuring the 1026R will do just about exactly the same.