1023/1026 a good choice?

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #1  

s219

Tractor
Kubota L3200, Deere X380, Kubota RTV-X
Hello all, this is my first post after lurking here a lot over the years. This forum is pretty awesome.

My wife and I are about to buy a 4 acre property to build a new home. On our current home, I was young, eager, and dumb, and did all clearing and landscaping by hand (for example spreading topsoil over 0.5 acre with just a wheelbarrow and hand tools, and yanking stumps out with a come-along, jack, sawz-all, and pry bar). This time around, I know I want to go into the new property with a tractor from day one. Age has worn me down a bit, but also made me smarter (=lazier?), and I know I need a tractor this time around.

I like the Deere 2000 and 3000 series, and have used various models on the properties of friends and family. But I have always thought they were a little too big for my long term needs. On the other hand, I never liked the sub-compacts. But, I happened to see a 1023 at the local Deere dealer the other day, and it looks like it might be a good choice. I'd like to get some feedback on that.

The first tasks at the new land will be forest cleanup, removing downed trees from Hurricane Irene for firewood. In order to avoid extensive permitting hassles and costs, this activity will stay under 2500 square feet, and I plan to minimize land disturbance. I will be making use of an existing logging road and cutting paths no wider than about 5 feet as needed (or snaking between trees if that works). The tractor would be used for very light-duty skidding, but mainly to ferry cut firewood rounds out of the woods. This would also become a long term use of the tractor in the future. I may need to remove a few stumps, but realize that's not necessarily something a compact or sub-compact can help with a whole lot, so I'd likely defer most of that for the eventual land clearing / construction, when we rent a backhoe.

The second task will be installing a few culverts across a dry stream bed to get the tractor deeper into the woods. Due to wetlands sensitivity, I will have to dig out the stream beds by hand, but a tractor will be needed to drag in an 18" corrugated culvert pipe and then carry in loads of aggregate to fill in the culvert. The culverts will eventually be used for the property's driveway, so I plan to do it right the first time (otherwise I'd be tempted to just drop some pines across the stream bed and chain them together for a temporary logger bridge).

Farther out in time, the tractor would be used for grading and landscaping the yard, and for various projects like constructing a small dock and putting in a garden.

Long term, I'd have a 600-700 foot driveway to maintain/grade from time to time, and remove snow from. We don't get a lot of snow in my area of Virginia, but there are 10-14" dumps every so often that would require plowing. And then there will be long term firewood collecting on the property of a few cords a year -- the property has pines and hardwoods now, and I'd replant with hybrid poplars for future firewood. For mowing, I'd stick with my trusty old Deere LT150, so I don't need a mowing deck on the new tractor.

Having looked at the options, my thought is that the 1000 series would be better from the standpoint of driving around the woods in tight spaces for my firewood work (and it's also narrow enough to get onto my 4x8 trailer for transport). A front loader would take care of the culvert construction. A box blade and front loader would make landscaping a piece of cake (compared to doing it by hand that is). And then maybe I'd want a front blade for snow plowing in the future, though I am tempted to first try it with the loader and box blade, or even weld up a snow diverter to attach to the front loader pins. A backhoe attachment would be great, but the ones I have seen for the 1000-3000 series don't look tough enough to really justify the cost. I'd need to be able to dig out stumps to make it worthwhile, and they don't look tough enough for that (or are they?).

So, now that you've read my long writeup, does the 1023/1026 seem like a good short term and long term choice?

Feature-wise, the 1023 would fit my needs just fine, but I like the nicer seat and tilt wheel on the 1026. The rest of the doodads on the 1026 look like fluff to me, so I may just stick with the 1023 for value. Going into this land purchase, money will be a factor, but I am justifying the cost of the tractor since it will pay for itself during the culvert installation and landscaping, compared to hiring that work out (or doing it by hand with medical bills!).

Thanks for reading, and for any feedback/advice you can offer.

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #2  
I didn't see any PTO work listed in your question so the 1023 would be the better of the two. But if you think a snow blower would ever be in your future I would go up to the 1026. Both of these are what some may call
'lawnmowers on steroids". I think that is a good description. They do best at mowing and can do some lite tractor work occasionally, in the yard. When a lawnmower leaves the yard, bad things start happening at a more frequent rate.

You may be better off moving up to the 2520. It is more of a big mower/lite tractor. Much better suited for doing the chores you listed.

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #3  
From the "job" list you present, I agree with bigtiller, and would be looking at a 2320/2520. The 2000 series units aren't that much larger physically, and shouldn't be a problem for the "tight" spaces you talk about. As bigtiller says, the 1023/1026 are "lawnmowers, on Steroids". Nothing wrong with that, but since you already have a dedicated "lawn machine" I would certainly look towards the 2000 series machines. The 1000 series in my opinion are the better choice, if finish mowing is the priority, and you don't have, or intend to have a separate machine for finish mowing. To me your "job" list calls for more "tractor" than a lawnmower, and the 2000 series are more tractor than mower.

I have about a 5 acre property, and use a JDX495 with a 62" deck for mowing, and also have a 2520 that handles the heavier tasks. Perfect combination for my situation.

The general rule of thumb is, if possible, buy a tractor that is one step up from what you think you will need. I would bet that if you do go for a 1000 series machine, it won't be long before you will be in the "shoulda' bought the bigger tractor" mode. I haven't ever heard of anyone wishing they'd bought a smaller unit.

Do it right the first time.......saves a lot of dough in the long run.

REV

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #4  
Hello and WELCOME TO TBN!:)

Nothing wrong with that, but since you already have a dedicated "lawn machine" I would certainly look towards the 2000 series machines.

Oh, I agree whole heartedly with this too. Yes,the 2520 is larger,but you would be pleasantly surprised at just how maneuverable this machine can be,trust me. It continues to just amaze me,and believe it or not,it is an awesome grass cutter too!:thumbsup:

You also should do a search for threads concerning the 2520 coupled with a BH. That may surprise you too.

I am tempted to first try it with the loader and box blade, or even weld up a snow diverter to attach to the front loader pins.

As you stated,not really needing snow removal equipment very much,IMO,you may end up disappointed using either one of these attachments. They really aren't designed for snow duty,especially the box blade. The loader......eh,I used it my first year because that is all I had,but now I have a snow plow,and oh man, night and day difference. Two problems with the loader,it is too far out in front of the machine,and you can't angle it.:( My .02 of course.
Any questions,just PM me,I'll be glad to answer if I can.:D

One other thing. It is always easiest on your wallet to throw in as many attachments as you can with your initial investment.

Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

Greg

/ 1023/1026 a good choice?
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, I appreciate it.

I hear you on the 2520. I have been trying to step up size/capability when buying stuff and tackling projects, after learning the hard way. My shed is a perfect example of going too small. It fit my stuff fine in 2004, but I quickly accumulated more equipment and now it's a sardine can -- won't make that mistake at the new place.

I will give the 2520 some thought. Of course, that won't fit on my 4x8 trailer, another example of going too small, so now we're talking about another upgrade!

My uncle has a 3005 with front loader, and that has been a good tractor. It prices out less than the 2520. Any thoughts on how that mixes in to the comparison?

BTW, does anyone know where the 1000, 2000, and 3000 series are made?

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #6  
I must tell you that I too was looking at the smaller tractor. The 2305 was what the 1023 and 1026 replaced. I went to the dealer a lot looking at that model. It so happend they had 0% financing on the 2520 and with that offer I went with the 2520. I can say that I am not at all disappointed on my decision. I use it to mow every week. the turning radius is AWESOME!!! As you can see I bit the bullet and added some extras. So I too agree with bigtiller. Good luck with your new property!

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #7  
BTW, does anyone know where the 1000, 2000, and 3000 series are made?

I am pretty sure all of the 1000 and 2000 series are assembled in Augusta Ga. Not all of the 3000 series. Some of the "economy" models are assembled overseas. Where,I don't know.

Greg

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #8  
I am pretty sure all of the 1000 and 2000 series are assembled in Augusta Ga. Not all of the 3000 series. Some of the "economy" models are assembled overseas. Where,I don't know.

Greg

The 2000 Series is made by Yanmar in Japan, the 1000, 3000 are made in the USA.

/ 1023/1026 a good choice? #10  
I must tell you that I too was looking at the smaller tractor.
The 2305 was what the 1023 and 1026 replaced.
I went to the dealer a lot looking at that model. It so happend they had 0% financing on the 2520 and with that offer I went with the 2520. I can say that I am not at all disappointed on my decision. I use it to mow every week. the turning radius is AWESOME!!! As you can see I bit the bullet and added some extras. So I too agree with bigtiller. Good luck with your new property!
Wonder why they replaced a Sub Compact with a garden tractor ?