Tractor Sizing JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need

/ JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #11  
   / JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need
A picture's worth a thousand words. (4710 lifting round bales). I can't even lift a bale on the 3 pt. with my 54 Ford NAA.
Thanks for all the helpful information. I never realized how difficult the decision would be.
I'm still not sure which way to go, but the pictures getting clearer. I'm leaning towards the 4710 for reasons previously listed. I am however taking the advice of "Froggy" and looking at the 5105. It's not much bigger than the 4710 and it's smaller than the 5210. The only thing that bothers me is the transmission. There's only one option and it has a syncronized Reverse / low range on the left side of the driver and a non syncronized (they say you have to stop tractor to shift) gear selection on right side of driver. If you add the Loader controls, I'm not sure which hand I'll use to steer between running the loader and going forward and reverse.
One question for "cowboydoc": How well does the tractor handle the bale on the loader if you don't have the bale on the back for ballast??
Thanks again to everyone for their input. I'll update on my decision later.

/ JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #13  
<font color="blue">…a 10 acre ranch. I use a tractor for mowing, grading, working up the riding arena (8 ft disk or drag), unloading pallets of shavings (approx. 1000lbs) and moving and stacking 1000+ lb round bales…</font>

254080-Brown%20Cutter%2045degrees%20up%20NE%20Property%20Line-505.jpg

The JD Advantage series, 5x05 units, have the bulk weight, engine torque, PTO horsepower, full size loaders, hydraulic horsepower, and priced right for everything you’ve mentioned… this utility tractor will take the place of a smaller and larger unit… in a size that’s just right for your operation…! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 254080-Brown Cutter 45degrees up NE Property Line-505.jpg
    254080-Brown Cutter 45degrees up NE Property Line-505.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 266
   / JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #14  
I have lifted bales up without a bale on the back but it's tipsy for sure. But if I lift a bale up and in the feeders on my 4020 it's tipsy. I do agree though that if you only had one tractor one like John's would be my choice. I'm lucky and I have bigger tractors for my really big work but I love my little 4600 for most of the chores around the place.

/ JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #15  
I'm with Froggy and John. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

RedDog <font color="orange"> Kioti DK65 </font>

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( but I love my little 4600 )</font>
I wish I had a liitle 4600............LOL

/ JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #17  
Well, there's some pretty smart guys, here. But for a horse operation like yours, I would stick with the 4710 and hydro. You can do pretty big stuff, and work in the tight areas.

Of, course a good dealer can let you experience both....

How do you like the Transmission controls (forward, reverse, upshifting etc.) of the 5x05? I know it's not a hydro, but overall, how easy is it to manuever when using the loader?
Can you upshift from one gear to the next without coming to a complete stop?
Would you recommend the MFWD?

/ JD 4710 or 5210-not sure what size tractor I need #19  
My 4700 can handle your list with hp to spare - the only thing for which I have considered going up in size to the 5 series is hydraulic flow rate for a bucket mounted Post Hole digger - and on occasions wish I had more umph in the back hoe - other than those two items - the 4700 series is an awsome machine - I have it doing things that would probably scare the be-jeepers out of the JD Engineering types.