Buying Advice John Deere L130 - good price?

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #1  

big e

Silver Member
Tractor
L3130 Kubota
Howdy,
I'm finally getting an actual lawn mower for my place. For many reasons, I'm tired of using my tractor to bush hog the lawn.

Anybody have any thoughts/experience on the John Deere L130? It a 2005 or so with 227 hours on it. Has the Kohler engine on it which I heard was a good thing. Its my first riding lawn mower.

Whats a fair price?
and
Whats a tremendous price?

This is it:
Product Specification for L130 Lawn Tractor

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #2  
New in 2005 I think I paid a little over $2500 for mine. For this 6 or 7 year old machine in good condition I would expect $750 to be a great deal and $1000 or so to be about average. It all depends on the condition of everything, I have changed out a pto clutch and switch, new front tires and added the front bumper. Three or so sets of blades in 280 hours of use so far.

All of these 100 series hydrostatic tractors use the K46 transmission which seem to need rebuilding at an early age. You can do it yourself if you have mechanical abilities for about $200. A good way to get an idea of the shape of the transmission when warmed up and running operating for 30 minutes or so it should run about 5.5 to 6.5 mph that feels pretty quick on a lawn mower. If it seems slow or hesitates to climb a slight slope the tranny is likely in need of rebuilding.

If you can afford to move up to the better mowers you can get more use out of them with less repairs.

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #3  
Like Steve, I have an L130. If you can afford it and/or find something better, get it.

I replaced the electric PTO clutch and switch at 56-hours. I've gone through three sets of deck belts. They suck gas. I have less than 100-hours on mine.

I'll probably junk it if and when the tranny goes out.

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #4  
I should add that the L series is as good as the newer LA and D series mowers that are currently being made. The better transmission starts with the new x310 and higher number models. I am still using all the original belts and deck parts with no problems.

MJNcad and Jinman both have had problems with belts, idlers and spindles IIRC.

/ John Deere L130 - good price?
You guys are good. When I called my John Deere Power Store where I get my chainsaw work done, the guy only raved about the motor. Thanks for pointing out the other real world items to take into consideration.

THE PRICE:
The seller started at $1000 and so far I got him down to $800. I had guesstimated that $700 would be an awesome off-season deal. Time to launch my final counter offer.
In the long run I may be wrong, but even it I do need to do a rebuild, that price seems to make sense for a money-poor land-rich fellow like me. 3K for new isn't in the cards.

BTW, can the blades just be sharpened?

Thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited:
   / John Deere L130 - good price? #6  
Yes, the blades can be sharpened, I prefer the high lift blades now as the cut seems much better, makes the grass standup while cutting. Just put a set on mine and tried it out this week.

I will rebuild my tranny when I get around to it but right now there are other more important things to deal with.

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #7  
You guys are good. When I called my John Deere Power Store where I get my chainsaw work done, the guy only raved about the motor. Thanks for pointing out the other real world items to take into consideration.

THE PRICE:
The seller started at $1000 and so far I got him down to $800. I had guesstimated that $700 would be an awesome off-season deal. Time to launch my final counter offer.
In the long run I may be wrong, but even it I do need to do a rebuild, that price seems to make sense for a money-poor land-rich fellow like me. 3K for new isn't in the cards.

Thanks, and MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Personally, I would not bother with this machine, especially since it is already north of 200 hours. These are the lower grade and they reflect that.

At the very minimum, I recommend you step into the higher end of the X3xx series from John Deere. This would last you a very long time with the proper maintenance, and the resale value holds up very well.

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #8  
If after checking it out and everything seems to be working right I would offer 750 cash in hand and see if he takes it. I don't think 800 is a bad deal either but for $750 that would allow you a set of blades and maybe an oil change.

These mowers are okay if you don't try to pull trailers and climb steep banks with them. If you engage the pto at idle instead of high speed and you do this sparingly the clutch will last alot longer. When I first used this mower I was switching it on and off frequently at high speed, so I contributed through operator error to the short life of the clutch.

I like the size and weight of this mower and use it to cut my own lawn most of the time. It is about 800 lbs lighter than the x749 and since my own lawn is close to level and smooth the L130 does a good job with less weight and compaction. This also keeps hours off the 749 which I use for commercial landscape projects.

This picture will give you an example of the cut quality, this picture was taken the day after mowing with no bagging done.

/ John Deere L130 - good price? #9  

As Steve has said, the blades can be sharpened; but it also depends on what you're mowing. In my case, I'm mowing a weeds and grass combination and it gets harder use than Steve's all grass lawn; and when it's time to sharpen the blades, there usually isn't enough left to sharpen.

How you use these BBM (Big Box Mart) grade mowers will determine how well they hold up. I would love to have Steve's X749.

/ John Deere L130 - good price?
Thanks for all the excellent tips. Very helpful.