Used JD955 verus New JD 4110

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Hi

I am currently shopping for a tractor and have come across a used JD 955. Being a tractor newbie, I'm trying to figure out whether buying a larger used tractor makes better sense than buying a smaller new tractor.

I plan to use the tractor to haul horse manure, plow my driveway in the winter (.3km), harrow 5 acres and pull a manure spreader.

I have looked at the JD 4110. The price for a new one with no attachments is ~15K Cdn. It looks like a nice tractor (although I am also looking at a Kubota B7500, which also looks like a nice tractor).

One of the dealerships also has a 1996 JD 955 with 1800 hours. It has no attachments, and the price is the same as the 4110, ~15K Cdn.

From my uderstanding, the 955 has more horsepower and is a bigger tractor (at least I think it is).

Considering that the 955 and the 4110 are both the same price, does it make ansy sense to buy a larger used tractor, or stick with a smaller new tractor, where I will get a 2 year warranty, no hours, etc?

Is having a larger tractor (even if it is used) a better choice for long term growth? Also, is 1800 hours alot for a tractor?

Any help would be apprecitated.

Thanks

Garick

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #2  
I would want an independant mechanic look at the older tractor. That isn't a lot of hours, if well taken care of, too many if it was beaten. Are you going to want to add a loader, blade or blower? Get each priced configured, there may be more differance. There are so many incentives on new tractors, that it gets hard to justify used, sometimes.

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110
Thats good advice. If I decide that to buy the 955, I would certainly get it checked out first.

I plan on getting a front end loader and a rear blade initially. The cost for a front end loader for the 4110 is $4200 Cdn. I haven't priced out what it would be for the 955, but I think I will check that out and see if there is a price difference.

According to the salesman, the tractor was used at a golf course. I'm going out this afternoon and take a look at it just to see what it looks like and what kind of shape its in.

I also wonder if the technologies that are are used in the tractors have changed much in the last few years. Will the technology in a 2003 JD 4110 be alot better than the technology in a 1996 JD955?

Garick

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #4  
The older machine will be a no frills solid performer.

The 4000TEN series is Deer's big seller. It gets a lot more attention from buyers and them. It may ge a better value, you'll get more useful features for your money.

Of course, the big deal is; which will your wife be most confident using?

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #5  
I recently payed $2500 for my 410 loader or about $3700 Canadian

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I went and looked at the 955. It was in reasonable shape, but it is pretty basic.

The cost would be about the same for either model, and on top of that is the work and additional cost of getting the 955 checked out by a mechanic, the 4110 is probably the way to go.

Now all I have to do is wait for the dealer to get a 4110 in so I can test drive it.

Thanks to everyone again for the help.

Garick

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #7  
I was just checking my paperwork, I payed $2,000. for my 410 loader NOT $2500. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #8  
If you want to use a backhoe, I'd go with the 955. I myself have a 4100, but really have no need for a backhoe.

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #9  
I think the price quote for the 955 is way too high anyway for that many hours and no loader. I bought an 855 (96) with only 300 hours or so with Tiller, Brush Hog, Forks, and some other interesting items including the loader for 12K (US). The 955 may be a fairly basic tractor but it comes standard with some of the "necessities" including mid-pto and hydro. You won't find many X55 tractor owners unhappy with their machines. With the prices being the same though I'd go with the new model as this will include a warranty that your used tractor with 1800+ hours won't have.

/ Used JD955 verus New JD 4110 #10  
Garick,

Yeah that 410 loader price is definitivedly high. I priced one for 3600$ Cnd. But your price on the 4110 is looking good... I priced a 4010 for 16K Cnd Jeezzz! I'm going to have to ask my dealer to sharpen his pencil for a while LOL!

Sylvain