gvw
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD4700

Default Category Clasifications ????

Not sure where to post this ???? but will go for the Green page. What determines the "Category" of a tractor. I have observed several tractor componnets that are noted as being for Category 1 tractors. I assume that this is an engineered design rating but what are the guidelines? The item that I was looking at is the 3-point hitch adapter from Northern Tool which is noted as being designed for Category 1 tractors. What is a Category 1 tractor??? Size?? Weight??? Horse power?? The Hitch adaptor is a neat item that could be home built as I have observed on other postings but I'm stuck on the "Category" ???? Who/how is this determined??

Default Re: Category Clasifications ????

gvw, those categories are referring to the 3-point hitch and what size pins are used. Tractor Supply Company's catalog describes them as follows:

CATEGORY 0
    Tractors up to 20 horsepower
    Top link pins: 5/8" diameter
    Lift arm pins: 5/8" diameter

CATEGORY ONE
    Tractors from 20-45 horsepower
    Top link pins: 3/4" diameter
    Lift arm pins: 7/8" diameter

CATEGORY TWO
    Tractors from 55-65 to 90-95 horsepower
    Top link pins: 1" diameter
    Lift arm pins: 1-1/8" diameter

CATEGORY THREE
    Tractors from 95-100 horsepower on up
    Top link pins: 1-1/4" diameter
    Lift arm pins: 1-7/16" diameter

Category 0 lift arms normally spread a little over 20" while category 1 lift arms normally spread a little over 26". So category 1 implements normally just won't fit on a category 0 hitch. However, a lot of larger tractors have both category 1 and 2 ball joints in the lift arms, and if you have a category 2 tractor, you can use bushings on the pins on category 1 implements, but you can't put category 2 implements on a tractor with a category 1 hitch.

Whew, does that answer your question?[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bird

gvw
    Silver Member
    Tractor
    JD4700

Bird - big time "Thank You" --your response and information was great. Never really thought about why there are two different hole sizes in the lift arms - just used the appropriate one and got on with it - duh!! Now I are educated. Thank you -- Garry

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX1830

Excellent explanation. Thank you

Heh Bird...

What happens if you have a tractor with horsepower between 46-54 horsepower?

Is it classified Category 1 1/2 ?

Beats me, John.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img] All I did was copy the information in my Tractor Supply Co. catalog. Of course, I guess you know some tractors have the ball in the lower links with both category I and category II holes to use either category of implement.

Bird

Jag
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota /L2650/ LA450/B4690 -- John Deere 450 Dozer

The most common category on tractors are, catergory ONE which uses a 3/4inch pin. category TWO uses a 1 inch pin. Alot of implements, such as rear blades or box blades come with a stepped pin setup so they can be used on both 1 & 2.