2012 5E Limited build quality

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #1  

MattLynch

Gold Member
Tractor
2015 MF 5612
Since I am new to this forum I should start with a little intro first. I am a new farmer (grew up on a sheep farm, took over farm after it being non-operational for 10 years, looking at running 1000 ewes on 400+ acres) so I needed to purchase reliable tractor/equipment.

I did a lot of research and narrowed down my choices to a Massey 2680HD and a Deere 5093E. I needed this size of tractor to start so I could drive through all barn doors and need to use it for all aspects of farming for 3-5 years until a larger tractor is in the budget.

Although the Deere is not as much of an Ag tractor as the Massey I chose it after discussing dealer support with other local farmers and considering I have had good luck with my hay equipment which is also John Deere. I am hoping that it can withstand actual farm use, which brings me to my point.

I am not at all happy with the build quality of this tractor. Looked the tractor over when it was deliverd and found rate of drop contol knob not attached to anything(bolt missing), cracked paint on fender, oil pan looked like it had been thrown around and had big gouges in paint. Within 20 hours of what I would consider "light" ag use (mostly loader work) it developed 3 different oil leaks(1 bad o-ring and 2 loose fittings), the coolant in the resevoire went from full to empty and it has very little heat.

I took the tractor back to the dealer and they fixed the oil leaks, added coolant, fixed fender and then installed the options (intake pre heater, mirrors etc) that they charged me for but "forgot" to install.

My problems have made me question how this tractor is going to work for me in the future so is anyone else on here using a 5E limited for farm use and how is it holding up? Just so you know the $65000 for the 5095M was more than what I was willing to spend for start-up.

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #2  
Although I do not own a 5E we do have a couple members, Aggie in particular who owns a 5083E who I believed was quite satisfied. Sorry for your troubles. I have owned many pieces of Deere equipment and I can tell you that I haven't experienced many issues, so I wouldn't expect this to keep going on. Hope your problems get sorted out then stop though.

Oh, by the way welcome to TBN!!

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #3  
Weird that your having those problems, they must have built the machine really fast.

For how much money you paid, I wouldn't stand for any imperfections. You have to stand your ground with dealers, otherwise they will walk all over you the first time they sense your willing to let something slide.

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #4  
According to my dealer, they have not had any more issues with the 5E Limited compared to the other models in the 5 series (that is to say very few) Its been a very good seller for them.

It sounds like some of the issues may be caused by the dealer not properly going over/prepping the tractor before they delivered it to you? That comment about items they "forgot" to install but charged you for would raise a flag in my book.

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #5  
WOW I have a 2011 5093E and first day I got it coolant leak and steering valve was leaking oil, so they came and got it fixed it! then the 553 loader was wrong with my tire size so they made me pay $800 more to upgrade to a 563 loader and had to keep my bucket i used for 2 weeks ! I've tightened every dang clamp on the tractor because they was all loose and also 3point control wasn't hooked up either! and now at just 319 hours my turbo is going out ! they are coming to put another one on it! but at this low of hours I'm dreading what is still yet to come!:confused3:

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #6  
Ouch..! Myself and no doubt other's here would be most interested to learn what the problem was with the turbo. As well, it will be interesting to hear how your dealer is willing to address the problem.

Good luck.

AKfish

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #7  
Ouch..! Myself and no doubt other's here would be most interested to learn what the problem was with the turbo. As well, it will be interesting to hear how your dealer is willing to address the problem.

Good luck.

AKfish

Wow, sounds like that tractor had some abuse if the pan had some places on it and the fender paint cracked. I know sometimes the truckers that haul the equipment from state to state are rough on the machines. Either way your dealer should have seen it and fixed it. Hopefully they get there act together and take care of you. From what I see it dont matter what color you buy anymore the quality is not what any of them once had. Not that any of the brands of today are bad. I can just tell they don't seem to take as much pride in them as they use too. I have the smaller 5055E that I am happy with so far. I have found a few little things like the shifter boot cracked and my dash fogs up. The hood was slight misaligned but I fixed that on my own.

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality #8  
I'm still low hours, but my '13 5083E has not had any issues. Fit and finish are fine, too. I'll be on the lookout...

/ 2012 5E Limited build quality
Mine seems to be doing fine now. I have tightened a few more clamps and lost a speed for my blower motor but other then that no more problems. The salesman I dealt with is no longer with the dealership and they are great to deal with.