Backhoe Attachment for 4600?

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #1  

rmonio

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD B
Hello -

Does anyone have any experience with the JD Backhoe attachment on a 4600 series tractor? I'm thinking about buying one and I'm wondering what would be required to attach it (additional hydraulics, etc.). I'm also wondering about cost, too.

I guess I just can't have enough attachments.. that and I'm having too much fun with it now to NOT have the extras.

Thanks for your help!

-Bob

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #2  
The 4600 would go with the 48 hoe. I have a 48 on my 4300. It is one digging machine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif You will have to get the "power beyond" kit to hook up the hydraulics for the hoe. The hoe attaches to the tractor via a couple of mounting plates that stay on the tractor. With the rockshaft assist setup the connection is nearly effortless and can be accomplished in less than 5 minutes without even getting off the tractor, assuming you already have the 3ph parts removed. The price should be around $6k.

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #3  
I've got one and use it all the time. I've used it for about everything you can thing of from putting in septic system, building, stumps, etc. It's a great attachment for sure. Like was said all you need is the power beyond kit and you are ready to hook up.

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600?
Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like once I have it attached, it probably wouldn't be removed too often as I would have to monkey with re-attaching the 3-pt arms everytime. Is this an issue?

6K seems like alot. I wonder if I can rent one for a short time to do any work or not. I would still need the kit from what you're saying so I guess it's not an option and I'd just have to plunk down and get it.

Any thoughts? I currently have a Frontier Box Blade and 72" Buehler Finishing mower that I use on the 3-pt - having to swap attachments sounds like it could be a problem.

-Bob

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #5  
You can buy the power beyond kit seperately from the hoe if you want. According to the JD configurator it is part # LVB25220 $195.00. I don't think putting the 3ph parts back on is a big deal. It only takes a couple of minutes. The dealer might let you try out the hoe if he thinks there is a good chance you'll buy it. Can't hurt to ask. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #6  
I guess it all depends on what you consider an issue. It probably takes 15 -20 minutes to put the backhoe on and off if you consider the three point arms, the hoses, getting the backhoe just right to get it off, etc. I put mine off and on once or twice a month. To me it's not a big deal but it's not as easy as just hooking and unhooking a 3 pt. implement for sure.

I doubt you could rent one. I think list on that backhoe attachment is in the $7k range. The power beyond you do need a little know how to put on too. I'm not sure what they would charge you to do it.

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600?
Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to have to look into it a bit more and see what the dealers locally are saying.

-Bob

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #8  
Hello, I am a new member and found this thread about the JD 48 backhoe. I have a JD 4600 4wd and found a JD 48 backhoe that came with a subframe from a JD 5205. I need to find the Rockshaft assist setup for the 4600. Or adapt the subframe which came on the backhoe. ANY ADVICE MUCH APPRECIATED. Happy Thanksgiving!

/ Backhoe Attachment for 4600? #9  
Start a thread in the owning/operating section, you'll get a lot more visibility.