Comparison Best JD Subcompact for needs

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #1  

TBJ

Hello,
New member, but have enjoyed numerous threads on all range of topics. Very informative. Hoping to gain some advice on JD Subcompacts.

I'm purchasing 20+ acres in Upstate So. Carolina as a second home/hobby farm. The 10-14 acres I will be maintaining are mostly "smooth" terrain but with some "rolling" elevation changes. Will be mowing approx. 5-8 acres of existing pasture for "aesthetic" purposes (less than finish cut is ok). Will also maintain another 5+ acres of more weedy terrain with a fair amount of trees. Initially this portion will require some heavier duty brush cutting, but will keep seasonally maintained thereafter.

Looking to find which JD Subcompact will best suite my needs. First caveat is that I will only be using the property for a few weeks in the Spring and Fall with a 2+ month continuous stay in the summer. Will be hauling lumber, gravel etc. around so a FEL is a must. Also looking to install approx. 1000-1500 feet of fence line so looking at an 3 pt. auger. Some driveway & landscape maintenance will be done and will get a rear blade, rake, or box blade as needs arise. For my pasture mowing and light clearing, thinking of a 5' rotary cutter (light to mid grade). Also considering the JD quick hitch.

Due to my limited time on property, my initial thought was "get the smallest JD that will get me by," such as a 2305. Helpful guys at the local JD dealer indicated the PTO horsepower will be an issue and suggested the 3032-E as a good entry level model with enough PTO HP plus Hydro., but suitable cost for my "part-time use". BTW, I'm a novice in the tractor/implement arena, but have a fair amount of "mechanical common sense." Thank you in advance for suggestions.

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #2  
Hello,
New member, but have enjoyed numerous threads on all range of topics. Very informative. Hoping to gain some advice on JD Subcompacts.

I'm purchasing 20+ acres in Upstate So. Carolina as a second home/hobby farm. The 10-14 acres I will be maintaining are mostly "smooth" terrain but with some "rolling" elevation changes. Will be mowing approx. 5-8 acres of existing pasture for "aesthetic" purposes (less than finish cut is ok). Will also maintain another 5+ acres of more weedy terrain with a fair amount of trees. Initially this portion will require some heavier duty brush cutting, but will keep seasonally maintained thereafter.

Looking to find which JD Subcompact will best suite my needs. First caveat is that I will only be using the property for a few weeks in the Spring and Fall with a 2+ month continuous stay in the summer. Will be hauling lumber, gravel etc. around so a FEL is a must. Also looking to install approx. 1000-1500 feet of fence line so looking at an 3 pt. auger. Some driveway & landscape maintenance will be done and will get a rear blade, rake, or box blade as needs arise. For my pasture mowing and light clearing, thinking of a 5' rotary cutter (light to mid grade). Also considering the JD quick hitch.

Due to my limited time on property, my initial thought was "get the smallest JD that will get me by," such as a 2305. Helpful guys at the local JD dealer indicated the PTO horsepower will be an issue and suggested the 3032-E as a good entry level model with enough PTO HP plus Hydro., but suitable cost for my "part-time use". BTW, I'm a novice in the tractor/implement arena, but have a fair amount of "mechanical common sense." Thank you in advance for suggestions.

How much you looking to spend? Thats a big factor... Do suggest 4x4,on the smaller units.You usually can find a used 3pt auger somewhere,no need for new for that little of fence. I do think the 3000 series is in the right ball-park,with 5ft shredder somewhere in the 30/35hp range.
I mean if you got 31grand to spend jdcab.jpg JD3520

Last edited:
   / Best JD Subcompact for needs #3  
Hello,

My $.02, but I wouldn't want either of those models. The 2305 is too small for your needs and the 3032e just isn't as good of a value, $ for $ I think the Kubota L3800 is more bang for the buck, and I'm known as a Deere guy (take a look at my signature).

If you want a Deere compact for that amount of land, I would either recommend a 2520 or a 2720 and a zero turn, or a 3x20, preferably with a cab.

Even for part time use the base model 3032 and the luxury model 3x20 makes a huge difference. From the removable loader to better ergonomics, I think it's a very worth upgrade. If you are doing as much work as you state, although it's not full time, it will be quite a few hours on the seat.

I would recommend checking out other brands, take a look around, and if your like me, and stuck on JD, then at least you can get some prices for negotiating:thumbsup:

Good luck!

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #4  
My $.02, but I wouldn't want either of those models. The 2305 is too small for your needs and the 3032e just isn't as good of a value, $ for $ I think the Kubota L3800 is more bang for the buck, and I'm known as a Deere guy (take a look at my signature).

If you want a Deere compact for that amount of land, I would either recommend a 2520 or a 2720 and a zero turn, or a 3x20, preferably with a cab.

Even for part time use the base model 3032 and the luxury model 3x20 makes a huge difference. From the removable loader to better ergonomics, I think it's a very worth upgrade. If you are doing as much work as you state, although it's not full time, it will be quite a few hours on the seat.

I would recommend checking out other brands, take a look around, and if your like me, and stuck on JD, then at least you can get some prices for negotiating:thumbsup:

Good luck!

Good Post Martian,Check out the competition or better yet used tractors.

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #5  

Good luck!

With all the nice JD's out there sure dont see why need to stray off track...

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #6  
Check out the JD 4000 series. I bought a 4300 (35 HP) HST 12 years ago and it's been a great machine. I live on 44 acres, some rolling like yours and it handles everything I've wanted it to do. It was more machine than I needed at the time, but I'm glad I made the investment as I've grown into it.

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #8  
;) Seems as though its usually the other way around...

;) Im just glad you said Kubota and not go way off track:laughing
I also like the JD4105jd.jpg

/ Best JD Subcompact for needs #9  
samhudson3 said:
Check out the JD 4000 series. I bought a 4300 (35 HP) HST 12 years ago and it's been a great machine. I live on 44 acres, some rolling like yours and it handles everything I've wanted it to do. It was more machine than I needed at the time, but I'm glad I made the investment as I've grown into it.

I think that 4300 you have would be a 3520 today. When I was shopping, I really liked the 3038e. However it does lack the mid PTO option.