Tractor Sizing Is a 4320 big enough??

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #1  

Pattece

Hey guys,
I have recently bought a small farm (25 acres) and I am thinking about buying a tractor. The things I am planning on doing with it are planting food plots at my hunting camp, pasture maintenance, and feeding round bales. I thought I had my mind made up and was going to buy a kubota MX5100 because everyone says it will do what I need it to and more. Well here recently I have found a really good deal on a John Deere 4320 with a cab. Just wondering what yalls thoughts are on this tractor and if you think it will be able to handle the jobs I need it for. I am pretty sure it will be able to handle the food plots and pasture maintenance, just dont know if it is big enough to handle round bales. This is a big investment for me and will also be my first tractor so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible to help me make an educated decision. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #2  
Just a few questions. It depends on your implement size.

How big of a bale are you lifting? Rounds? Big Square? Small Square?
How are your implements are going to be?
Will you be baling your own hay?
What type of implements will you be thinking about in the future?
Will you be getting anymore land?
Do you have lots of hills on your property?

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #3  
Hey guys,
I have recently bought a small farm (25 acres) and I am thinking about buying a tractor. The things I am planning on doing with it are planting food plots at my hunting camp, pasture maintenance, and feeding round bales. I thought I had my mind made up and was going to buy a kubota MX5100 because everyone says it will do what I need it to and more. Well here recently I have found a really good deal on a John Deere 4320 with a cab. Just wondering what yalls thoughts are on this tractor and if you think it will be able to handle the jobs I need it for. I am pretty sure it will be able to handle the food plots and pasture maintenance, just dont know if it is big enough to handle round bales. This is a big investment for me and will also be my first tractor so I want to gain as much knowledge as possible to help me make an educated decision. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Although the MX5100 has a couple more HP, the Deere has a higher 3pt lift capacity and a nearly the same FEL capacity. For about the same tractor, my money is definitely on the Deere. You get the "comfort" tractor and a cab.

The specs are very similar, I wouldn't expect one to outperform one greater than the other, but the comfort of the cab would make a long day a lot shorter. If the MX5100 was supposed to handle all your jobs, the 4320 will do just the same.

My $.02 say the cab is worth it alone, although I've never owned one, it's on my bucket list. I wouldn't be very worried about a used tractor as long as it was taken care of, and those signs are very clear.

Now the big question is, how much of a price difference between the too and how many hours? If it's very close price and low hours, 4320 is the way to go, high hours, further price MX5100

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #4  
With proper ballast the 4320 will handle most big round bales - certainly based upon the loader specifications. Of the 2 models of loaders available for the 4320; the 400CX is rated for heavier weight.

IMO - the questions I would consider before plunking down my money - are along similar lines that Edward. S offered - what other kinds of work do you have in mind for the tractor presently and in the future?

As well, I'd be concerned about the long-term use of the 4320 for hauling round bales. If you're only gonna feed 25 bales a year; no problem - good for the next 20 years. If you're gonna feed 250 bales... well, you might want to rethink how big a tractor you should buy.

AKfish

/ Is a 4320 big enough??
Looking back at my post I see it wasn't very clear... I am new to this but I will only be buying hay.. I am guessing most round bales around here are around 5x6 at best.. My land is fairly flat and I know the 3 pt hitch will do just fine. Just wondering if the front loader will be able to handle the job. Kubota price was around $2000 more for a new mx5100 HST but the john Deere is 3 years old with about 400 hours.. I just really like the idea of a cab just did not think I could afford one.. I may be able to purchase another 10 acres that joins it in the future. I plan on getting a tiller and bush hog for now. No big implements

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #6  
Pattece said:
Looking back at my post I see it wasn't very clear... I am new to this but I will only be buying hay.. I am guessing most round bales around here are around 5x6 at best.. My land is fairly flat and I know the 3 pt hitch will do just fine. Just wondering if the front loader will be able to handle the job. Kubota price was around $2000 more for a new mx5100 HST but the john Deere is 3 years old with about 400 hours.. I just really like the idea of a cab just did not think I could afford one.. I may be able to purchase another 10 acres that joins it in the future. I plan on getting a tiller and bush hog for now. No big implements

A 4320 would definitely have the capability you require. 3 years old and 400 hours is practically brand new as long as it is in good condition. The cab definitely adds a lot of value and the fact of the Deere being a comfort tractor will make it a lot more comfortable. Whether the new is worth it over a couple hours and a cab can only be decided by you.

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #7  
I agree that the 4320 will do just fine for those tasks. Deeres loader ratings are supposed to be pretty accurate, so as long as you are under those ratings you should be good. Properly ballasted it is a stout little beast. I LOVE my 4320 and I don't even have a cab.

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #8  
I have a JD 4320 open station tractor with loaded R4's, JD grapple, JD 400X FEL, JD 485 backhoe along with other attachments. There is no doubt in my mind it will handle the work you described. I also have a JD 3720 cab tractor (same cab as 4x20 series) and no one makes a better/nicer cab, imo. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of the Kubota model.

/ Is a 4320 big enough?? #9  
Hey guys,

Thanks

Can't see what you described as being a problem. Here a couple shots of the 400x in action. 3 trees at once pretty easy.:D

Attachments

• 100_9768 (1024x760).jpg
    100_9768 (1024x760).jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 467
  • 100_9773 (1024x760).jpg
    100_9773 (1024x760).jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 621
   / Is a 4320 big enough??
Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I am pretty excited about it. I am going to look at it Tuesday and if everything checks out I plan on buying it.