4010 delivered ballast box question

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #1  

Anonymous Poster

4010 delivered ballast box question

recieved my new 4010 yesterday with a fel 60 mmm and ballast box. the machine is incredible. i do have a question though probably one of many . what material is best for weighting the ballast box. thank you ahead of time for help. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #2  
Re: 4010 delivered ballast box question

<font color="blue"> what material is best for weighting the ballast box. </font>

Something heavy /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. I'd fill it with concrete. Throw any scrap metal you want to get rid of in there while you pour. Your manual should state how much ballast is needed. Concrete weighs about 120#/cubic foot.

Denser materials (buying steel or lead etc.) is cost prohibative.

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question

My 2210 FEL came with an operator's manual that described how much the BB would weigh with sand or concrete - yours should too.. Most people fill with concrete. Others fill with bench weights so they can remove and move other things with the BB. If I was using my FEL and BB on a regular basis, I would fill with scrap metal and concrete.

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #4  

OldChef,

I went down to the local material yard and filled it up with coarse sand. Because they weighed me on the way in and the way out, I knew how much the filled box weighs - 650 lbs. (160lbs from weighing the box, plus 490 lbs difference in weights going in and out.) In addition, I store my suitcase weights in the box when I'm not using them on the front - I have 8 ea @ 42lbs per. I did it this way so that in the event I wanted to empty the box for whatever reason, I could just dump the sand out somewhere for fill.

I used a coarse grade of sand for drainage - at the time I didn't have a covered place to store it. Coarse weighs less, but drains better. The total cost was $5 for the sand, which I figured was worth it to get good coarse sand and to get it and my pickup weighed.

Good Luck, and happy tractoring. And BTW, don't be afraid to use that ballast box - it improves handling AND stability when you get that FEL loaded up. I have a set of pallet forks for my 410FEL, and as far as I'm concerned, it oughtta be against the law to use the forks without the ballast box !!!

Caretaker

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #5  

Filled mine with stone, sand and topped it off with about 8-10" of concrete

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question

One question to ask yourself is where are you going to store the BB. If it is on a flat surface easy to get to with the tractor then fill it up with more permanent material. If you need to tuck it away somewhere you may want to fill it with stuff more easy to remove. I started off with sand in the BB for my 755 but it was a real pain to jockey around the loaded BB to hook it up to the 3PH. I dumped the sand and now use concrete blocks. I can store the BB out of the way. drag it out, hook it up easily and then load it up with the blocks. I do not use the BB every time I have the FEL on. Usually only when I am moving heavy materials over unpaved or uneven surfaces. It makes a big difference in the comfort factor and safety.

Jeff

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #7  

Good job on the 4010, I also have a 4010 w/ FEL &MMM. I have had the machine for about 8 months & have 125 hours added up, I have had great luck with it & I am sure you will also. I have stone in by BB & I have not had any trouble. I just wish I would have bought the I match. Good luck!

/ 4010 delivered ballast box question #8  

Oldchef,

I have mine filled with concrete and scrap steel. It's heavy, and that is what it should be, heavy!