Trade of front blade for FEL

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #1  

Trev

Platinum Member
Tractor
Currently tractor-less
I think I finally have the CFO talked into letting me swap from front blade for a FEL and rear blade combination. I initially got the tractor on a JD loan.. x amount / month. The dealer told me once he'd give me $1500 in trade for the blade toward the FEL.. and I'm wondering now if that could somehow be collapsed into the original loan so it would just be an increase in monthly payment rather than a big chunk of cash up front. I'll ask the dealer tomorrow, if I get a chance at work.

In the meantime, a couple questions?

I can back the tractor with front blade and one rear implement into the garage, and have a foot or two or clearance on each end. I assume that won't work with the FEL, right? It would stick out further, I assume?

People talk about welding hooks to their FEL. Is it hard to find someone that would know how to do this properly, without messing up my new toy?

If you were in my position, would you add just the 430 FEL, or would you specify some options like (I don't understand what this is completely) the three-in-one or the toothbars, etc.?

How wide a rear blade could I use and still be able to rotate it completely on a 4300? The wider the better, I assume?

TIA for any thoughts!

Bob

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( If you were in my position, would you add just the 430 FEL, or would you specify some options like (I don't understand what this is completely) the three-in-one or the toothbars, etc.? )</font>

Get a good look at the std. bucket. It is pretty light duty. Might be OK, but you might want to move up to the HD or 4n1. There are lots of posts on the 4n1 showing it in use, the pictures tell a lot. Its pretty pricey...

I think a toothbar is great, but it IS something that can be added later.

Your dealer could probably do the hooks, figured into the original cost. They would be sure that the setup gets painted right, too

I can't imagine the FEL being 2' longer than the front blade, it doesn't stick out far at all...

/ Trade of front blade for FEL
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Get a good look at the std. bucket. It is pretty light duty. Might be OK, but you might want to move up to the HD or 4n1. There are lots of posts on the 4n1 showing it in use, the pictures tell a lot. Its pretty pricey... )</font>

How pricey are we talking? I'll go do a search on this.. but it might take a day or two.. on the road for the job all day tomorrow, at least..

Thanks!
Bob

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #4  
Depending on which one you get you're talking an extra 2-4k ABOVE the cost of the loader.

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( How wide a rear blade could I use and still be able to rotate it completely on a 4300? The wider the better, I assume?)</font>

They should all rotate around no matter what size they are. The wider the blade, the longer it will stick out behind your tractor. They just make the main support longer to ensure that the blade can rotate properly. You will want a blade that sticks out at least 6" further that your tractor on each side. The more holes for different positions the better. Some blades have a tilt feature that could be useful also. Offset is also a nice feature, and a blade that will "slide" to the offset position instead of comletely removing bolts will be nicer.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Depending on which one you get you're talking an extra 2-4k ABOVE the cost of the loader. )</font>

Ouch. I wonder if I'll be that much happier with a FEL than I am with a front blade and a rear dirt scoop? One thing I believe I could do with the FEL is dig out stumps.. I have trouble with that with the blade. But I suppose a backhoe would be the best tool for that. Can't win, can you? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #7  
Trev, If the dealer won't weld the hooks on, bring the bucket over to my house and I'll do it for a few beers! Its not that far to Fairport! And if you are trailering it to Bob James they are about 2 miles from my house. Let me know if you need help.

Von, sounds good!! What kind of beer do you like?

Not sure yet what I'm going to do.. the tractor as it is works well.. just leave the front blade on all the time.. it's a perfect front weight to balance the rear implements. Now I'm thinking of completely changing my setup, which makes me nervous. I know the FEL would be handy, but would it be enough difference to justify the cost? I have no way of knowing. I have a few stumps I can't get out.. and I've had a few snow plowing experiences that said being able to lift higher and dump would be a big plus. But would it be worth the money to switch?

Any idea how much a 430 FEL with heavy duty bucket would run me? I don't know about the extra cost of the 4n1 bucket.. I only have 2.5 acres to deal with.. but I keep thinking of what I could do with a FEL that I can't do now. Hmm.

Yeah, Bob James. Trouble is, I have no trailer.. can't get it to you without buying a truck and trailer.. which the CFO would clearly NOT approve! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif She just doesn't understand boys and their toys!

Best,
Bob

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Any idea how much a 430 FEL with heavy duty bucket would run me? )</font>

~3500.00

/ Trade of front blade for FEL #10  
Bob,

I've used my FEL for so much more than just traditional loader work. It is a lift for picking up heavy things and moving them. I've carried bags of grain out to the barn, 5 gal buckets of water to water plants, lift my MMM for servicing the blades, move the bush hog around without hooking it up to the 3PH, carry tools etc. I got it first only as a loader in mind but have found it to be a veratile tool.

I use a back blade for snow removal. I have the blade facing forward and pull the snow to the end of the driveway (80 feet) then use the FEL to push the snow off to the sides as well as to keep the banks pushed back.

Good luck.

Jeff