Finally Made My Decision

/ Finally Made My Decision #1  

Wolfman

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 MF 2706E HST
Well, it seemed like it took forever, but I finally made my decision, and I am awaiting delivery of my first JD tractor.

It was a tough decision since I have spots where I could use a really small CUT or SCUT, but for the most part I needed something larger and heavier. Because of this, really everything was in the running and I felt like I was all over the board.

With my budget in mind, in the end it came down to the 3032(8)E vs the 5045D. The last tractor I had was just slightly smaller than the 5045D, and I was worried that anything lighter might be a disappointment. The dealer had a 3032E and 5045D parked side by side. Seeing this, and knowing how little I made use of the loader on my last tractor, I decided to order the 5045D without the loader (which makes it approximately the same length as the 3032E with the loader). For the times where a loader might come in handy, I figure a 9 cubic foot dirt scoop and heavy duty boom would do the trick (and perhaps be even handier for my uses). Even without the loader, there will be places that I just won't be able to get into (especially with the 72" cutter) - but I will just have to deal with that when the time comes. For mowing in the tight spots, I also purchased the JD D100 lawn tractor, which should help me at least keep down the grass/weeds in areas I can't reach.

The 5045D should be here this week, and not a moment too soon as I have a lot of fencing to put in (hopefully before it gets too hot down here in Texas) as well as plenty of other stuff that needed to be done by now.

With purchasing the 5045D and a D100 lawn tractor - I kind of feel like a JD bottom feeder. I have been playing with the D100, though, and I am actually impressed at how nice of a job the lowest price JD actually does - it will be perfect for my uses.

Thanks everyone here for the assistance and tips provided on TBN - it really helped in sorting out my ideas on what to purchase.

/ Finally Made My Decision #2  
congrats, were in texas are you located

/ Finally Made My Decision #3  
Congrats on your new tractor(s)! :thumbsup: The 5045D is a tried and true workhorse! You should be able to look forward to many years of chores done...

Gotta have those pics; you know! :D

AKfish

/ Finally Made My Decision #4  
Congrats indeed! Well, maybe, I don't see any pics so I'm not sure that it happened;)

/ Finally Made My Decision
Once I get my hands on the tractor - I will surely be posting pictures.

I'm actually just south of Sherman, TX

/ Finally Made My Decision #6  
Congratulations. You won't regret your choice!

/ Finally Made My Decision #8  
Congrats! Looking forward to the pics.

/ Finally Made My Decision
Well, the 5045D finally arrived home after what seemed like a long, long wait. I took a couple of quick pics before I was able to put it to work.

So far I absolutely love it, and I'm extremely pleased with the decision I made. The power and weight seem to be perfect, and I can run the cutter at any reasonable RPM, through any height of growth without a hint of bogging down. I was really worried about what I would think of a 2wd Gear tractor after having owned a nice Massey 4wd Hydro tractor of about the same size. So far for cutting and box blading, I'm actually enjoying this tractor more than I thought I would have. My old Massey had a hydro whine, which I didn't really like. Plus at times, it felt like the hydro was somehow limiting power to the ground somewhat (accompanied by an even greater whine and a little smell of hydro from the relief valves). So compared to my Massey of 10 years ago, I'm very happy.

I decided not to get a loader for better maneuverability around some tight spots. To make up for it, I am planning on getting a rear scoop, heavy duty boom and a 4' x 6' 3pt carry all. For my particular uses, each individual attachment will be able to perform their individual tasks better than a loader would be able to, and for about 1/5 the cost.

For the cost conscious, if anyone is debating getting a 2wd geared Utility sized tractor for almost the same price as a subcompact, for situations like mine, I would say go for it!

Here are some obligatory pics (admittedly poor quality)

Attachments

• IMAG0559.jpg
    IMAG0559.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 565
  • IMAG0560.jpg
    IMAG0560.jpg
    908 KB · Views: 510
  • IMAG0564.jpg
    IMAG0564.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 533
   / Finally Made My Decision #10  
Nice tractor! Your trailer? Or delivering dealer's? I like the color match.