Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's.

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #1  

AKfish

Tractor
JD 5115M; JD 110 TLB; JD 4720; Ford 9N; JD X300R
One of the most important aspects of this forum is communication. Heretofore, unavailable information to the vast majority of tractor owner's across the country regarding the pros and cons of any particular make/model as well as solutions for any particular issue.

In that manner; a heads up - to other 5000M series owner's. My 2011 5075M is at the local JD dealership for warranty repair of the hydraulic system. The problem is the hydraulic pump will lose the "prime" and will not power the loader, the 3pt, the transmission or the steering until the engine rpm's have been ramped up to 1,700rpms or so for approximately 20-30 seconds. After that, all hydraulic functions are just fine... until you shut the tractor off. Upon restart - you have to go through the fast-idle drill all over again - until the hydraulic pump starts functioning.

If you leave the tractor at idle; it will sit there until the fuel is gone.

The local JD guys have only had it for a handful of days (including the weekend) so, I don't have a definite solution to the problem - yet. They initially figured that the sump filter was either plugged off or damaged. Except... the 5075M does NOT have a sump filter! The hydraulic pump is integral to the filter. They are mounted just in front of the rear axle and share a common housing that allows the hyd pump to pull filtered hyd oil directly from the filter.

I thought the problem was J20C hyd oil. The standard viscosity hyd oil gets just like cold honey - heavy, and thick - with the winter temps. So, I drained it all out and replaced it with J20D - LoVis and a new filter. Even at 45F and a warmed up transmission; the pump wasn't doing what hyd pumps are supposed to do!

So, it was time for the JD shop to work out the problem.

I'll keep you all posted on the outcome.

AKfish

Shoot, I figured I was in Owner/Operating forum! Wrong address... right town! :D

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #2  
Does it have a charge pump?

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's.
Does it have a charge pump?

Not that I'm aware of.. I've been over and over the schematics on JDPart's and the Owner's and Maintainence manuals. Nada.

AKfish

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #4  
Sorry for your troubles, hopefully your guys can take care of you in a jiffy, though! I am interested in how this would happen and what you got to do to get it fixed though.

By the way, I really like the new avatar:thumbsup:

Thanks, Martian. I'm really thinking it's something simple - like an O-ring that was pinched at the factory.

I talked with the salesman where I bought the tractor and he said that they've only had 1 other M (5085M) with any kind of hydraulic problem.

It was a part that was not installed properly at the factory in the rear EH 3pt.

Also stopped in at the local dealer to see if they'd had a chance to look at the tractor. They hadn't. The 2 lead mechanics were in Anchorage getting the 475 Komatsu dozers ready for shipment to Nome. They're supposed to be back in town on Friday.

There's nothing that I really need the tractor for right now, anyway. Won't really need it until July!

Still have plenty of snow and there's mud and water EVERYWHERE! The geese showed up this past week and the lakes are all still frozen over - they fly over the house in the morning - honk, honk, honkin'! But, there's no water and nothing to eat except last year's old brown grass that's poppin' up in patches with the snow melt.

AKfish

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #6  
Sorry to hear your having issues with the new tractor, but glad to hear the dealer is taking care of it!
Good luck with it.

Sorry to hear your having issues with the new tractor, but glad to hear the dealer is taking care of it!
Good luck with it.

Thanks. We'll see how the local guys "take care of me"... Things aren't necessarily "warm and fuzzy" between us! :laughing:

Between the Internet (MachineFinder, TractorHouse, etc.) and TBN - their tractor sales have taken a hit. They're beginning to realize that just because they own the market for JD products in the State - they can no longer dictate prices - 'cause folk's can readily research prices nationwide.

And prospective buyer's will saddle up and buy a tractor in the lower 48. Or, with the low-cost shippers competing on the Internet @ uship.com, etc. etc. they can get a new tractor shipped up to Alaska for alot less than the in-state dealer will sell it for.

D@mn Internet! :D

AKfish

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #8  
Thanks. We'll see how the local guys "take care of me"... Things aren't necessarily "warm and fuzzy" between us! :laughing:

Between the Internet (MachineFinder, TractorHouse, etc.) and TBN - their tractor sales have taken a hit. They're beginning to realize that just because they own the market for JD products in the State - they can no longer dictate prices - 'cause folk's can readily research prices nationwide.

And prospective buyer's will saddle up and buy a tractor in the lower 48. Or, with the low-cost shippers competing on the Internet @ uship.com, etc. etc. they can get a new tractor shipped up to Alaska for alot less than the in-state dealer will sell it for.

D@mn Internet! :D

AKfish

If they can't help you come down to the Abbotsford dealer the service manager Larry can help you, I'm not kidding he has the same name as you. But between me and him were not that great. He tends to have a hard time understanding me, or he just hates me. I usually get my salesman to talk to him. I told him to fix that on my repair list for the 5420, 25 engine hours later. Hello Leak, my names Edward. You? Mr. Leak? Alright Mr. Leak is it possible for you to f*ck off? :laughing:

About a year ago I bought myself a hydraulic coupler for the Mid SCV, I didn't have time to change it so when the came to pick it up I told the truck driver to tell "Larry" "to put it on the leaking coupler." I put the coupler in the cab. Oh definitely, I will work on that tractor for over 10 hours and not notice that god darn coupler sitting right there in the cab. It still has the 2 plastic plugs to keep dust getting in the coupler. How f*cking blind are you? The only thing that the Stealership can do is take my money and sell me tractors. :mad: Oh yes bring the service truck to the farm to get it fixed when his bullsh!t clogged ears couldn't hear "Change the leaking coupler". And they cant even find a god darn fuel leak more manual priming my favourite! My rant is done.

Hmm... with the fleet of tractor's you work every year and the maintainance, repairs, etc. Nevermind a brand new tractor every few year's... and then your fellow farmer's walking through the front door with you?!?!

I have to wonder if that fellow has any good judgement at all...

Most guys would be polishing your shoes when you show up at the dealership and bringing you a fresh cup of coffee and a danish!! :thumbsup:

Maybe that guy is too close to retirement and he's not worried about keeping customers happy! :(

AKfish

/ Hydraulic pump leakdown on 5M's. #10  
You would think that swapping the coupler would be a freebie. They sound more like AK's dealer...........only game in town.