Buying Advice best tractor for mountain property-

/ best tractor for mountain property- #1  

charlesbbrinkman

Tractor
none
I am moving to Roanoke, Va after almost 50 years of suburban life. I have purchased about 70 acres in the mountains with about 5-10 of it feasible to farm. Want something that can: bushhog, plow, drive a post hole attachment, move around logs, do some basic grading to make 4 wheeler roads to the top of the mountain and all the other stuff tractors are supposed to do. Assuming I want 40-60 hp but would love someone more experienced to weigh in on suggested brands/models and attachments. Don't want to go crazy with cost (want to keep it under $20,000 if possible).

Appreciate the input!

/ best tractor for mountain property- #2  
Welcome to TBN it is a great site.

Under 20K; 40-60 hp don't know of a tractor that is in the price range unless you go used. Are you interested in used or only new? JD only or other brands as well. Do you plan on using it on slopes beyond 10-20%? Lots of things to consider? I know my JD4720 is being used on a "mountain" type property but I am VERY careful about slopes and is well north of 20K but is in your HP range.

Last edited:
   / best tractor for mountain property-
I am fine with used, even very used. I will definitely be using it on slopes beyond 20%. I don't know that I have to have more than 40hp. I'm not really sure how much a 20-30hp machine can do to grade out roads. I have heard great things about JD but am open to other brands as well. I don't want super cheap (that doesn't usually work out well!) A smaller machine that trades off time spent for more utility and lower cost is okay too.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #4  
I am moving to Roanoke, Va after almost 50 years of suburban life. I have purchased about 70 acres in the mountains with about 5-10 of it feasible to farm. Want something that can: bushhog, plow, drive a post hole attachment, move around logs, do some basic grading to make 4 wheeler roads to the top of the mountain and all the other stuff tractors are supposed to do. Assuming I want 40-60 hp but would love someone more experienced to weigh in on suggested brands/models and attachments. Don't want to go crazy with cost (want to keep it under $20,000 if possible).

Appreciate the input!

In steep, wooded terrain, I'd suggest you consider a crawler rather than a wheel machine. Consider renting one. Then get a tractor when you have the roadbuilding, clearing, logging, and rough grading complete.

In my opinion, wheeled tractors are very vulnerable and not as manueverable in the woods and in steep terrain they can be easily tip if you let your guard down. To maintain your place AFTER you do the heavy lifting, you can probably get by with a smalller tractor (35-40 hp) to deal with the tillable 10-15 acres.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

/ best tractor for mountain property-
That sounds like a good idea. Don't want to buy something I'll only use infrequently. Thanks

/ best tractor for mountain property- #6  
Since you are on the John Deere forum, I am assuming John Deere is one brand which you are considering. My inlaws have some property in Nelson Co. VA, so I am familiar with the terrain in and around Roanoke. I will say there likely is some property you have that no tractor could operate safely, but in the JD line, the 4000 series is going to be your best option. I am familiar with other brands, but not to the degree as JD. I know Kubota has some low COG machines that in are that HP range as does New Holland. My feeling is in the JD line, you may wish to consider looking for a used 4010 series (the prior series to the current 20 series) to stay in your price range. They are rare, and have Yanmar powerplants which are well-proven. They also are often leased by hospitals, etc., and may be available that way. I do not know about the dealers in your area except to say that there is a James River dealer in Stuarts Draft just off 81N (I do not know them) that is a larger dealer. They may have some insight into the current availability of a 4010 machine in your desired HP range. Though I think it could do your work, the 3000 series (mid-frame) compacts from JD at least are not as stable on hills as the 4000 series (or old 4010 machines) due to their shorter wheelbase and higher COG. Trust me, having had both and living where it is hilly, I know this. You could surf MachineFinder as well to look/compare these machines and prices or you could take a chance with Craigslist, etc. For less than $20K, you likely are not going to find a tractor in this size range that is new, so lightly used may be your option, at least in John Deere.

John M

/ best tractor for mountain property- #7  
I have a Kubota M 6800 4WD that would do all you need (assuming its not too steep). I would advise a larger frame tractor like a M series, not an L series. Definitely 4 WD. And I would load the rear tires for stability. I would get a FEL with a grapple and a box blade on the rear. This is a great trail making combination. I would go 50 to 70 horse. You should be able to find a used one with under 800 hours for under 20 grand. This rig is powerful yet fairly maneuverable. I use mine doing all the things you describe.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #8  
I grew up in WV on a hillside farm of about 200 acres. We (My Father and I ) always used either his Case 1190, about a 43 horse tractor, or his CaseIH 585, somewhere in the 52 horse range to take care of all the farming chores and cleaning the hillsides, several of which were in excess of the 20% range. It was VERY VERY touch and go as both of these tractors were 2WD units. There are many on here to offer good sound advice as to what tractors may fit your bill. I havent posted much, but do alot of reading and research here. I would also suggest that you look at Tractorhouse.com. You can select the 40-99 horse tractor section, and see all makes and models from various years per brand. This not only gives you an idea of what an asking price may be, but also a chance to see the stature of the tractors being suggested. Some are higher sitting, some with a more compact build, and some with heavier duty build but a lower profile. I know Massey made/make some low profile 4WD units that were very nice looking tractors, but also wore a nice price tag as well. Hope this helps in some way.

/ best tractor for mountain property- #9  
Whatever you choose make sure you mow when it's dry. Morning dew will make you crash! Ask me how I know!