JD 328 baler

/ JD 328 baler #1  

Mistyridgefarm

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 5300, JD5100M
Wrong time of year to buy a baler but I had to get my own. I just picked up a JD 328 baler. I had them throw in a manual but it will be over a week before it arrives and I hope to use it this weekend. It seems in excellent condition. I'm going through it now and was wondering if anyone out there has some specific experience with things to check on/ watch out for on this model. Thanks for any help you might provide.

/ JD 328 baler
Sorry, meant to put this in owning/operating.

/ JD 328 baler
Going through online manual and found something confusing vs what the baler is set up now. On the auger drive, it looks in the manual as the belt goes under the idler, but the machine currently has it over the top???

/ JD 328 baler #4  
Going through online manual and found something confusing vs what the baler is set up now. On the auger drive, it looks in the manual as the belt goes under the idler, but the machine currently has it over the top???

IIRC, the belt is over the top of the idler/tensioner on my 336. Has to be.... how could you keep the belt from slipping and burning up?

AKfish

/ JD 328 baler #5  
If idler is on top of the belt as it should be then the belt will have more gripping area on both the drive & driven sheaves.

/ JD 328 baler
Well, very much confused here, but I might have figured it out.

In the manual, I think I deciphered the difference. It says, "3. When complete belt idler adjustment is used, with belt on top of idler, loosen idler (A) and place belt (B) below idler. " I think this means when you run out of range to tighten the belt with it over the top of the idler, switch it to underneath the idler and make the adjustment! Underneath uses more belt length. Do you guys have the same read on this?

E18427.gif

/ JD 328 baler #7  
Yep... that makes a whole lot more sense - when you know the full story! :thumbsup:

AKfish

/ JD 328 baler #8  
Huh, have never had to adjust that in the 30,000 bales or so through my 336.

/ JD 328 baler #9  
When I brought my 336 home - I went over it with a magnifying glass! The auger belt had a pretty good cut 1/3 thru it.

Replaced it.

Haven't looked at it for 2 years, now.

AKfish

/ JD 328 baler
So far, everything looks in excellent condition. The equal angle hitch setup poses a few problems, since I use one tractor for everything. The dealer came through though and offered up a used drawbar for nothing. It will be a lot easier changing drawbars than bolting and unbolting the EAH.

I won't be able to cut anything this weekend since the forecast isn't dry enough for my liking. I'm going to pull some of the "u" bales we put off to the side from the last cutting and test it out by rebaling them.

I also ordered the pickup wheel bracket. Not too bad at $70 but I will find a non- JD wheel for it.