3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big?

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #1  

morrisond

I'm getting an 3720 Cab.

I mow about 5-10 acres of fields/paths and around buildings and a a 2100x100' grass runway.

I'm looking at the GM2109 110" Frontier mower. 30HP minimum required

Way too big? Will it bog down in anything over an inch or two or will it be fine cutting 5-6"'s if it's dry?

I have an MX6 in case it gets really long.

Thanks

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #2  
I think you'd be fine in the open areas (such as the runway). Might be a hassle maneuvering around the buildings though.

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #3  
I cut my grass with a 60" finish mower and decided that I needed to go to a 72" to speed things up a little. It scalped the yard a bunch due to the wider spread of the wheels and the uneven ground. If you are mowing pretty flat ground turning will be your only problem that I can see.

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big?
It's quite flat, and I have a small LA175 riding mower for the hilly stuff around the house

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #5  
We mow with an RF500 60" RFM, but could easily handle more if it was not for uneven ground and obsticles.

If the ground is flat, you will be fine. How many PTO HP is the tractor?

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #7  
Just make sure the weight of the mower isn't too much weight on the three point when you raise the mower.

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #8  
I think an 8ft finish mower would be about as big as you could reasonably go. There will be some times when the grass is too long but mostly that would work.

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big?
The weight of the mower is 1500lbs., the 3 point is rated:

Lift Capacity (24-in. behind link arms), lb. (kg) 2200 (999)
Lift Capacity @ lift link ends, lb. (kg) 2530 (1149)

Will it lift it no problem?

/ 3720 Finish (Pull Behind) Mower - How big is too Big? #10  
well i have a 72 inch mid mount mower on my 3520 and its just a couple horses less than yours and it bogs down in grass thats been let go for 2 weeks. This is in "B" range at about 6.5 mph with the air conditioner going. I originally wanted a non turbo 3320 and im glad i went with the turbo 3520. heres some quick video of it bogging down a little in said grass. You will have to go in creeper gear real slow and take a long time i would imagine with that size rear mower
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRbRvMBhIGU&feature=youtube]3520 john deere 72" mmm - YouTube[/ame]