Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70
  1. #1
    Super Member Robert_in_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    8,423
    Location
    Silver Creek, NY
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

    Default Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    late last year I was looking to buy a narrow vineyard tractor. I had originally narrowed it down to kubota and John Deere but was leaning towards Kubota because the cab was suppose to have more room which is what I was looking for. Room in a narrow cab is extremely hard to find because of the design of these machines.

    Anyway, I was curious as to how close the prices would be between the two and figured I would build both tractors online first to see how close MSRP would be. John Deere came in almost $10k higher then a similar Kubota so I never even priced it through the dealer since it would have been way more then I would have wanted to pay.

    Well because of how terribly disappointed I am with the Kubota I finally contacted the Deere salesman and asked about trading the Kubota for the Deere. Well they won't give me enough for the Kubota to make the trade happen but the price for the Deere was less then $2k more then I paid for the Kubota. If the Deere calculator had been much more reasonable with the pricing before hand I would have actually contacted the Deere salesman and not been scared away. I can't say if I would have bought the Deere or not but at least I would have gave them a strong chance. Now I am stuck with this Kubota till I can sell it outright then go with a Deere.

    I don't know if any of the Deere dealers or Deere reps will see this but if its possible could someone mention it to someone higher up to see if they can adjust the calculator so that they don't lose sales like this by scaring customers away with extremely high prices (The Kubota came in around $50k MSRP and the Deere was $60k so it was a considerable increase for the same size tractor specced as closely as possible).


    God must love stupid people; He made so many

  2. #2
    Elite Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2,687
    Location
    Earth
    Tractor
    Deere

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    Sorry to hear. The build it feature is not the greatest and is meant to drive people into the dealerships, but as it seems in your case, kept you out of the dealership. Hopefully you get your tractor sold, or the Deere dealer will give you a little better trade dollar and get you into something your happy with

  3. #3
    Gold Member eagle107's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    353
    Location
    NY
    Tractor
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    late last year I was looking to buy a narrow vineyard tractor. I had originally narrowed it down to kubota and John Deere but was leaning towards Kubota because the cab was suppose to have more room which is what I was looking for. Room in a narrow cab is extremely hard to find because of the design of these machines.

    Anyway, I was curious as to how close the prices would be between the two and figured I would build both tractors online first to see how close MSRP would be. John Deere came in almost $10k higher then a similar Kubota so I never even priced it through the dealer since it would have been way more then I would have wanted to pay.

    Well because of how terribly disappointed I am with the Kubota I finally contacted the Deere salesman and asked about trading the Kubota for the Deere. Well they won't give me enough for the Kubota to make the trade happen but the price for the Deere was less then $2k more then I paid for the Kubota. If the Deere calculator had been much more reasonable with the pricing before hand I would have actually contacted the Deere salesman and not been scared away. I can't say if I would have bought the Deere or not but at least I would have gave them a strong chance. Now I am stuck with this Kubota till I can sell it outright then go with a Deere.

    I don't know if any of the Deere dealers or Deere reps will see this but if its possible could someone mention it to someone higher up to see if they can adjust the calculator so that they don't lose sales like this by scaring customers away with extremely high prices (The Kubota came in around $50k MSRP and the Deere was $60k so it was a considerable increase for the same size tractor specced as closely as possible).
    Robert,

    Same thing almost happened to me. I nearly went for a Massey Ferguson cab tractor (very good tractor - not to offend the Massey people) when trading my brand new New Holland in, but my uncle said to try his guy over at Zahm and Maston and see what they could do for me. If you are dealing with Zahm at the location in Springville, then Dan Burges might be able to help you out. He is very good and fair; he worked with the owners to get close to where I needed to be. Unfortunately, JD's net/web prices are just that, a ballpark; you can never take them at face value. Once the deal was worked out, the JD was only $2k more than the Massey I was looking at.
    John Deere and New Holland/Ford Tractors and stuff

  4. #4
    Platinum Member etcallhome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    654
    Location
    WV,Preston County
    Tractor
    JD 1026R

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    Still waiting to get a price from the local MF dealer, on trading my 2305 in for new SC2410MF .According to MF web site I can buy new front blade and blower for the same money as a 1023 keeping mine frt blower and blade .
    Also would pay the same price difference wether I traded in BH or just bought sub frame for 1023.. That one still hasn't set well with me and that is why I went to check what MF would do.
    Have fun and be safe !!!

    JD1026R H120 fel w/54"bucket; 60" mmm ; 260 BH/w 12" bucket; ballast box; rear weights; front quick hitch w/angling kit and 54 " blade ;3pt rear 60" blade ; JD 47" frt snowblower ; Original Tractor Cab;Bush Hog 47" tiller and 15" Middle Buster

  5. #5
    Super Member Robert_in_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    8,423
    Location
    Silver Creek, NY
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    Quote Originally Posted by eagle107 View Post
    Robert,

    Same thing almost happened to me. I nearly went for a Massey Ferguson cab tractor (very good tractor - not to offend the Massey people) when trading my brand new New Holland in, but my uncle said to try his guy over at Zahm and Maston and see what they could do for me. If you are dealing with Zahm at the location in Springville, then Dan Burges might be able to help you out. He is very good and fair; he worked with the owners to get close to where I needed to be. Unfortunately, JD's net/web prices are just that, a ballpark; you can never take them at face value. Once the deal was worked out, the JD was only $2k more than the Massey I was looking at.
    You know exactly what I am dealing with then, the local JD dealer for me is Z&M and its a toss between either Falconer or Collins as far as distance. I talked to Bill Henry in Collins about this tractor as I had met him before at a spray seminar they hosted for us vineyard growers and he seems like a good guy. What scared me away was when I did the build it calculator Deere came in extremely high and then I go on Z&M's site and their offering a used, open station narrow vineyard tractor with almost 1k hours for $39,500. I bought a brand new kubota with cab for $42,500. Both had FWA so for $3k I had a brand new tractor with a cab. It led me to believe the build it calculator was accurate since their used prices were so high. I owe $39k still on the Kubota and it had 64 hours when he looked at it and the guys who set the number for trade allowance only offered $27k for the Kubota. So to trade up I would lose $12k automatically plus the difference between in what I owe on the Kubota and the price for the new Deere. I just can't take a $12k loss and were so far apart that I don't see them being able to bring the number close to what I need it to be. They knew what I owed before they made the offer so it won't do any good to try and negotiate from there. They just don't want my tractor but they did give me a great price for a new Deere so I am not upset. I just need to either find a buyer for my tractor or start working on the Kubota to try and fix the issues I have with it. I can do a lot of work for $12k to improve it but I don't really want to, would much rather send it down the road. I am going to talk to Bill again as he is working up a price on a new sprayer and see if he has a new(er) narrow I can demo so I can make sure I won't have any issues with it. I have put plenty of hours on slightly older Deere narrows but not any since they updated them.


    God must love stupid people; He made so many

  6. #6
    Super Member Robert_in_NY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Posts
    8,423
    Location
    Silver Creek, NY
    Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    Quote Originally Posted by Martian View Post
    Sorry to hear. The build it feature is not the greatest and is meant to drive people into the dealerships, but as it seems in your case, kept you out of the dealership. Hopefully you get your tractor sold, or the Deere dealer will give you a little better trade dollar and get you into something your happy with
    I know, that is why I started this thread. I hope it reaches someone that might be able to help correct the issue so that it is more competitive and not push prospective buyers away. I doubt I am the only one who has used the Build it feature on these sites to do the initial narrowing down between models/brands. If Deere has their MSRP that much higer then the other brands then it is only going to push people away if you can actually sell the tractors for almost the same price as the competition.


    God must love stupid people; He made so many

  7. #7
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    933
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3520 Deluxe Cab

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    I was in the same boat as you when pricing kubota and john deere. I didnt trust it the calculator either so i went in person. Thats the only mistake you made and was a painful one for you. Dont kick yourself in the a.s.s over it man. But shame on deere anyway cause there website eats a.s.s

  8. #8
    Veteran Member s219's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    2,443
    Location
    Virginia USA
    Tractor
    Kubota L3200

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    I find it hard to believe you're mad that the online calculator, which is setup to give MSRP, doesn't give "street" prices. Those prices vary dealer to dealer, market to market, customer to customer, and day to day (maybe hour to hour). Expecting the online calculator to give a street price is like expecting the Chevy website to haggle a deal for you at the nearby dealer. There's a reason they are called "street" prices, and there's a reason you need to contact the dealer to work the deal.

    Interestingly, the kubota's website calculator also gives MSRP, not street prices. You'd also need to talk to a Kubota dealer (or call them, or e-mail them) to get an actual street price and work a deal.

    If you just compare websites, both Deere and Kubota, and any other manufacturer, will be giving you MSRP. Obviously you can't take a website MSRP from one and compare it against a haggled street price from another. You need to haggle the best deal from each brand and compare those street prices. On tractors, it seems like the typical difference between MSRP and street price is about 15%, which is significant.

    I don't know, this whole attitude seems awfully naive to me. Who sees the MSRP and just concludes "oh well, that is the price" ? Do you just pay sticker price when buying a new car, because that is what the manufacturer printed on the sticker? MSRP is meant to be haggled on with cars and tractors and many other big ticket products. Nobody should assume they have to pay MSRP.

  9. #9
    Veteran Member vtsnowedin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2,019

    Default Re: Disappointed with John Deeres build your own calculator

    I used the build your own quite a bit in the last few months. I got annoyed with all the options that come up "contact dealer". WTF if I wanted to have the dealer price it I'd have him do the whole thing. If you call the dealer he gets on a computer and pulls up a price and gives it to you. I'm just as good at the keyboard as he is so why not have msrp on everything.
    I found the dealer discounts almost always closely matched the things you forget they add on like freight and set up charges so the bottom line between the build your own and an actual dealers delivered to your barn yard quote was often within a $1000. I was looking near the economy end of the scale so the spreads maybe much higher on top end cab tractors.
    Bottom line though is that they could do a lot to improve that program like getting rid of anything that comes up "contact dealer" And having the loader being an option on the tractor not a separate attachment. Also current deals , low interest offers $1000 dollars off if you buy two attachments etc. should be in the program so you could see how they effect the bottom line. Good luck with selling your tractor and coming over to the Green side of the force.

  10. #10
    Veteran Member RollingsFarms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    1,705
    Location
    South Carolina
    Tractor
    John Deere 5325 & John Deere 910A 22hp Kawasaki/54" deck

    Default

    The site use to be a lot better and way more user friendly. Now it's just a pain to navigate the thing. The build your own used to even give you picture examples of different options so you could see them. Now they just make you guess and wonder what it looks like.


    John Deere 5325 MFWD

    John Deere 910A 54" 7-Iron PRO deck

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. John Deere 6430 10' Fisher plow build
    By JD6430 in forum Build-It Yourself
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-31-2013, 02:30 PM
  2. John Deere Build Your Own question
    By doabbs in forum John Deere Buying/Pricing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM
  3. 4x20 series engine country build origin?
    By beefeater in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-12-2008, 01:40 PM
  4. John Deere, how did you make my tractor?
    By JohnMiller3 in forum John Deere Owning/Operating
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2001, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.