Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-)

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #1  

Grateful11

Veteran Member
Well she has a JD X720 but she doesn't consider it a tractor. Wife and son run a cattle operation. Right now I think has right at 60 head of cattle including all the calves. They maintain about 150 acres total. She was wanting something to replace the IH 574 with and had looked a Kubota M7040 but dropped by the nearby JD dealer and he told us about a group of 2011 5065M's that they had a killer deal on, they're 2wd with cab, power reverser, 2 remotes, draft control, std. seat, pretty much everything she was looking for but 4wd. The more she thought about she said, "what do I need 4wd for, I have the Kubota L3940 that do all the digging I need, if the field is that wet I'm not going in it anyway". She may put a loader on later for moving round bales. The dealer made a pretty fair deal on trading in the IH 574 and the restored Farmall Super H. The price on the 5065M is $32K, it's 2011 model, the dealer is actually getting one for himself. It's really too a good to pass up I think. This will free up some space in the 30x50' equipment shed and put her in a what she considers a mid-size cab tractor. She'll have the new Deere, a CaseIH 5140 w/cab, IH 686 with a canopy and an aftermarket turbo and the Kubota L3940 with ROPS, 4wd with a loader.

Now the questions.

1.Never dealt with a 5 cylinder diesel, are these Deere engines good engines, they don't seem to use them in very many pieces of their equipment and how long have the been making these engines in Mexico and how long has Deere been using this engine?

2. We noticed there's a huge difference in the weight between this and the Kubota M7040, where is it picking up all theat weight in the rear end, the frame, engine block or where?

3. Is a 2011 going to be a Tier III or Tier IV?

4. Is this a good price?

She moved kinda a quick on this tractor, she usually has me study up on these type things before jumping but supposedly she getting one of the last ones available under the this deal. It'll be here in a week or two. I hope she's making the right choice. It will mainly be used for a conventional box grain drill, planting corn, raking hay, crop spraying, grinding feed with CaseIH Grinder/Mixer, maybe some baling with the JD 448 round baler and if she gets a loader she will be able stack hay in the hay shed one row higher.

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #2  
1. Not sure. Haven't heard any complaints from 5M users though.

2. Everywhere. No real place specific, but they are just built heftier. Axles, frame, it's just built heftier. Nothing against other brands as they have their benefits as well.

3. More than likely interim Tier 4. 2012 were the first of the full tier 4, but I do believe they had the interim treatment.

4. GREAT PRICE! You are stealing that tractor! It sucks it doesn't have 4x4, but the M cabs are some of the nicest in a tractor that size ever!

Be sure to get the fender buttons for 3ph control, left is best for one side, both is even better. You will love the new tractor, and welcome to the green club:thumbsup:

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #3  
1. Not sure. Haven't heard any complaints from 5M users though.

2. Everywhere. No real place specific, but they are just built heftier. Axles, frame, it's just built heftier. Nothing against other brands as they have their benefits as well.

3. More than likely interim Tier 4. 2012 were the first of the full tier 4, but I do believe they had the interim treatment.

4. GREAT PRICE! You are stealing that tractor! It sucks it doesn't have 4x4, but the M cabs are some of the nicest in a tractor that size ever!

Be sure to get the fender buttons for 3ph control, left is best for one side, both is even better. You will love the new tractor, and welcome to the green club:thumbsup:

Its actually Tier 2 like the one AKfish has, the 5030 Powertech engine is still in tier 2.

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #4  
Its actually Tier 2 like the one AKfish has, the 5030 Powertech engine is still in tier 2.

Seems odd to me, I thought PClausen stated his was tier 4. My reason for assumption, thanks for keeping me honest:)

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #6  
That's my understanding as well. They are Teir 2.

I did not think manufacturers were putting or could put Tier 2 engines in tractors these days with all the EPA regulations breathing down their necks. However, maybe the PowerTech 5 cylinders are still Tier 2; I know my 4520's has the PowerTech E 4024H which makes it an Interim Tier IV engine. Nonetheless, there might be a way to take the guess work out of this. Below is a link to JD's Off-Highway Diesel Engine Rating for Interim Tier IV/Stage III B brochure/selection guide showing you how to tell by your engine's ID plate if you have a Interim Tier IV JD PowerTech engine or not, plus it has some other good info in it.

Interim Tier 4/Stage III B Selection Guide

Last edited:
   / Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #7  
Seems odd to me, I thought PClausen stated his was tier 4. My reason for assumption, thanks for keeping me honest:)

pclausen has 5085M, maybe that's the difference

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #8  
pclausen has 5085M, maybe that's the difference
Yep. My understanding is the MY2012 5085M - 5115M are the only ones with the tier4 common rail engines.

Btw, did the this whole message board just switch to a completely different way of displaying messages? Everything seems to be in some sort of hierarchical view. I hate it.

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-)
Yep. My understanding is the MY2012 5085M - 5115M are the only ones with the tier4 common rail engines.

Btw, did the this whole message board just switch to a completely different way of displaying messages? Everything seems to be in some sort of hierarchical view. I hate it.

Thanks everyone for the great info, we'll take more if anyone has some to give;-)

I think the forum changed a day or two ago. This morning it was really whacked out, couldn't even read it.

Couple other things:

Is the Power Reverser Modulation Control or the Fender Mounted Hitch Controls dealer installed?

Also it has no radio, was thinking about a Jensen Heavy Duty, I noticed Crutchfield and few others carry them, would probably have to get some sorta mounting kit and an antenna from the dealer. I like the Jensen because it has a big Mute button and you get a remote for it for like $10.

/ Looks like the farm is getting it's first JD tractor a 5065M, a few questions :-) #10  
The PowrReverser modulator is technically a dealer install item. Installing the knob itself is real easy. The connector is already there. I did my own. The thing is that the computer needs to be programmed to "see" the modulator, and that's a dealer thing.

On the fender mounted hitch control, you need to make sure the tractor already has the EH hitch as opposed to the mechanical one. I do not believe it can be added later. If it has the EH hitch control, it would already have the left fender mounted control. The right side control is an option. I installed mine myself. It is somewhat involved, but not bad if you are mechanically inclined.

Last edited: