5083e and 5101e

/ 5083e and 5101e #1  

jayhawkhusker

Tractor
None
Had posted earlier about decision between 5065m and 5083e. After looking at the build your own feature on JD website I started looking at the 5101e. It appears to be exact same tractor as 5083 except with additional 18 or so HP. However, the price looks to be 6-7k higher. I am assuming extra hp comes from tweaking the turbo. That seems like an awful big price jump for otherwise the identical tractor. Am i missing something?

/ 5083e and 5101e #2  
You are jumping up two models of tractor. Each bump up then would be 3-3.5k per model, does not seem that unreasonable for the hp.

/ 5083e and 5101e #3  
About the only difference other than HP and price is the 5101e has bigger tires std. Might be the injection pump and/or turbo that adds the additinal HP.

You're paying more for "what it can do", not the true cost difference. You have to decide if you NEED 18HP more and if it's worth the cost to you.

Also there might be more room to negoitiate on 5101e than the 5083e, so the difference might drop a lot.

/ 5083e and 5101e #4  
The fuel injection pump is the main diff. The same turbo, the same ecu units (although still some program diff may still exist), same fuel injectors, is purely a mech controlled fuel delivery system. The higher hp versions may also have a tendancy to burn a little more fuel so sometimes bumping up for the extra hp if not needed can cost even more.

/ 5083e and 5101e #5  
That seems a little basic to me. If it was just a matter of turning up a mech fuel pump or replacing it I think a lot of people would do that on their own, and save two or three grand. I would think the programming is different, and possibly cooling too...

/ 5083e and 5101e #6  
That seems a little basic to me. If it was just a matter of turning up a mech fuel pump or replacing it I think a lot of people would do that on their own, and save two or three grand. I would think the programming is different, and possibly cooling too...

E series are a basic tractor. It is not a matter of turning up the injection pump (illegal) it is a different pump. The ccu units are the exact same units but that does not mean that the dealer does not have to tell it what tractor it is going into but since the fuel delivery system is mech other than monitoring the system it can not really do very much. Why not buy the tractor you need instead exposing yourself to loss of warranty and worse yet a HUGE fine from the feds. This day and age all it really takes is a call from neighbor Joe to the feds that you have "fiddled" w/ you new tractor fuel delivery system and it seems that the burden of proof that you did not do anything wrong is on you not those who report you.

/ 5083e and 5101e #7  
I think it boils down to spreading the research and developement costs out among the model line. JD could just sell the highest HP model at a lesser cost, but they would not have offerings in the lower HP catagories. Say the price from their supplier for the injector pump was the same for each model, they had to come up with a price step for each HP step that would allow them to sell in all catagories. It appears they decided $3.5K per step (as ctlguy stated). Or it might be $4K then $3K. The steps will be what ever it takes to sell the mix they want. IF they priced them all the same everyone would buy the highest HP model. So they priced them in steps to sell the mix they want. If they were were only selling the lowest HP model they would need to lower the price steps. If all they were only selling the highest HP model, they would know they could increase the price steps. It's a case of how much more are you willing to pay for more HP? Not how much more did it cost you to produce it? They KNOW people WILL pay more for more HP!

I don't think anyone is advocating buying the lowest HP model then swapping injestor pumps or other hop ups.

/ 5083e and 5101e #8  
It's going to be a trade off. What do you want, what do you really need, and can you justify the fuel consumption as the price of diesel goes up? The more you use the tractor the more that adds up. Sometimes I think we oversell ourselves on hp "just in case"...

/ 5083e and 5101e
Slight change of plan. Found a 5075m with 553 loader/4wd/cab. They r asking 48k. Think I'm going to have a hard time passing that up.

/ 5083e and 5101e #10  
The M series is a much nicer tractor, you should be pleased w/ it.