Price Check Price for 1994 JD855

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #1  

norcal

Wanted to check the price on a 1994 JD855. It has 900 hours and comes with 4wd, ripper, box scraper, loader, top & tilt, hydrostat trans. He is asking $10,500. Havent seen it yet as its over an hours drive away. The owner says it looks good but could look better with some paint. Im new to the tractor thing - how reliable is a 9 yr old 855 with 900 hours?

TIA

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #3  
That price seems a bit high if you are going to have to some maintenance and painting, etc. With 900 hours I'd try for at least 1000 less. There are some good implements with it but.....I've seen a few 855's go on sale on ebay lately for pretty good prices. Whatever you decide to do though my 855 has been a great tractor.

I bought my 96 855 (4WD) with 275 hours with front pallet forks, tiller, landscape rake (home made), loader, canopy, for 12,000.

Hope this helps - depends on where you live also. Everything seems to cost more out here in the west.

/ Price for 1994 JD855
Yeah, after researching the TBN and making lots of calls last weekend for used tractors I am realizing that the west is more expensive - and I think that Cali is on the top of that list.

Also, Im surprised that only two people have responded to this price question on the 855. Is this tractor not very common or ...?

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #5  
The Parts Catalog shows serial numbers from years 1986-1997. There may have been some 1998 models also. I don't know if the 855 was produced before 1986. The serial numbers listed give only a general range (ie LVO855x 135000-170000). Except, for 1994 specific numbers are given which total 1423 units, if I added right. I suspect there are plenty of 855s out there somewhere.
I concur with tdenny, my 855 has been great for me. Good luck deciding. Let us know.

OkieG

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #6  
It could be a very reliable tractor at 900hrs and 9 yrs old. Would 2nd the opinion of $1k or so off what's being asked, but where you are that may be a deal. Heck, don't you folks pay an extra buck per gallon for fuel? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #7  
"The owner says it looks good but could look better with some paint. Im new to the tractor thing - how reliable is a 9 yr old 855 with 900 hours? "

A friend of mine has an '86 or '87 855. He's had it since new and still going strong.

As far as the price...try Machinerylink or Machine Finder.
Both will give you some idea of the value of that 855. On Machinerylink, go to the bottom of the page (left corner) and look for Used Tractor Price Guide. Remember, these prices are for the tractor, no FEL or implements.

I'd still offer less...do some negotiation...

/ Price for 1994 JD855
Yep - in order to fill up the gas tank we take out a second mortgage /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif And please, dont remind me about housing costs!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I plan on looking at the 855 later in the week. Will definitely offer less if it looks and runs good. The person selling it deals in used, but can sell some new tractors. He said that this is his personal tractor which he has owned for about 6 months. Having the tractor be his, and not the businesses, would save me about $800 in taxes.

/ Price for 1994 JD855 #9  
norcal,

I didn't mean to imply that at 900 hours the 855 you are going to look at is on it's last life. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif What I really meant was that it might be a good bargaining chip for a reduced price. I fully expect my own 855 to be running as good as it is today when it turns 1000 hours. I keep it garaged, constantly check the fluids and grease and basically baby it whenever it's not tearing into some really rocky soil. I can't afford to buy a new one and I seriously don't want to.

There doesn't seem to be alot of 855 or 955 owners out here on TBN but I've noticed there have been several purchased lately - You'll also find several 755 owners here. Okieg and I are out here quite a bit so be sure and ask any questions you might have. I'm a little jealous of Okieg since he has a backhoe on his as well. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif My financial advisor won't budget me one of those. Hope you find the 855 to your liking - it's not the biggest tractor but easily takes care of my little 5 acres.