790 vs 990 vs 4310

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #1  

Horse

Tractor
John Deere 4410 12x12 E-Power-Reverser
Hello to all. I have been looking at the 790 and 4310 on the delaer lots. I have yet to find a 990. Is this tractor phasing out? I am leaning towards gears over hydro. I will use a loader, brush hog, post hole digger, back blade, front blade. The 790 is a bit small (on pto) for a mid to heavy duty brush hog. Any suggestions from you pros?

Thanks,

Horse

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #2  
I am not the one to ask but why don't you give these fellas more to work with like the type of property, characteristics of the land, type and frequency of jobs you need to due and budget.

I did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and based on the suggestions (partially) I ordered a JD 790 FEL LX-5 package. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #3  
<font color="blue">...The 790 is a bit small (on pto) for a mid to heavy duty brush hog.... </font>

What did ya have in mind brush hogging?

Heavy Duty would push you into the > 70 PTO hp class (cutting 4"+ sustained cutting day in/day out)

Medium Duty places you into > 50 PTO hp units and above
(cutting 2" + sustained cutting)

But, then again, it all depends on your definition of HD & MD... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310
Sure, I have 60 acres in the mountains of Wyoming. 1-1/2 miles of gravel road to keep clear of snow and to maintain. I will be cutting down sinkfoil ? or potentella? Well anyway its the purple stuff that grows in the wetter ground next to sagebrush. I'll push the sagebrush over/out with the FEL and tooth bar, pile it up and burn it. But I'll cut the purple sage down. Kinda need a mid to heavy duty brush hog and looks like I may need to go more PTO HP to do so. But I was trying to get my equipment for under/up to 15K. Looked at the Kubota B7800 and L3130. Looking at the Deere 790, 990?, and 4000 ten series. I like both but am old fashioned and grew up on a Deere years ago. Haven't bought a new tractor in 30 years but want to buy one now and not for another 30. So, that is why I was trying to find a 990 or a tractor with gears for mainly brush cutting, raod maintenance, fencing. Anybody got any pointers? Thanks all!

Steve, up "Horse Creek"

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310
The purple sage is tall (about 2-1/2 feet) but only about 1/2 to 1" stalks. The real sagebrush is big (2-4 inch stalks). Once I get the stuff cut down I wouldnt need as tough a brush hog but my neighbors will see all the new grass and want me to do their pastures. Probably a MX5 is what I thnk I need and a 48 to 60" max deck I'm guessing. I look at it this way, 20k would probably (maybe) buy me a tractor that would do it all. But 15k for the tractor, then 5k for an army surplus 6x6 with a snow plow on the front would make moving out 2 feet and 1-1/2 miles of snow a two pass deal. Save the tractor for cleaning the snow out of the yard area. I'm leary that anything under a 50 horse tractor would even handle the snow worth a hoot in good time. We can get some good blows around here come winter. Well, what do ya think lads.?

Horse

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #6  
I think I'd have a talk with some folks who've cut that stuff! A dealer who's seen equipmemt hold up to it (or not)

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #7  
Horse,
If your are in the mountains or steeps hills of any sort, I would personally go with the JD 990. I have a 790 here in the Tennessee foot hills and with the narrow wheel base, it sometimes gets a little hairy on some of these hills. It will climb them, but at times, pulling a JD513 rotary cutter, my wheels will spin in 4WD. The 990 weighs more, will be able to run a medium duty 6' rotary cutter and has a wider wheelbase. Also, the rocker arms on the 790 can only lift about 820 pounds. Don,t get me wrong, I love my 790, but it sounds like what you are telling us about your property and what you will be doing on it, you won't go wrong with stepping up to a larger CUT. Thats my $.02 worth. Welcome to the board. We always welcome new members!

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #8  
Oh, by the way, I believe the 990 is still in production. My local dealer has 2 sitting on his lot. I believe they are 2003 models.

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310 #9  
What a dork.....did I say "rocker arms????" I meant rockshaft arms......duh!

/ 790 vs 990 vs 4310
Thanks Dave, good to be here. I found you guys a few days ago and have just been readin away. Like I said I have driven past 10 JD dealers and have yet to see a 990 on the lot. Are these tractors being discontinued? I see the weight info in the literature the JD dealer gave me and I agree with your assesment, but there are no dimensions so it's good to hear the 990 is wider/longer I presume. Anybody got the dimensions between these two tractors?

Thanks

Horse /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif